2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

Hi everyone! Just found this forum and wanted to add to the chat with my own status as another reference for people.

I'm applying for PhD and have been admitted to one program so far. I was on Matched for a few eternal weeks and stopped checking after a while because I was going insane lol. I recently had my first interview with an employer and then checked to see that my status had been changed to Held so who know for how long that's been there. I'm hoping the webinar on Monday clears up what we're supposed to do on our end of the recruitment process.

Congrats to everyone who has been hearing good news! I looked through the forum and saw some very positive things =]

EDIT: Also, Only 2/8 schools I have applied to so far have confirmed that my status through GEM, for anyone who might be interested

Edited by thejellybean

@thejellybean Welcome to the Forum! Congratulations on the interview I hope that it goes well and you get an offer.

Also congratulations on getting accepting to a school! If you do get the company sponsorship you will become a GEM Fellow!!! That is awesome! I assume the company will email you first then change it on egem lol

@ray92 Thanks! I've got my fingers crossed for sure.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:18 PM, cf6049 said:

@QuantumFroggy250 I think we're all lost on the same boat lol. They did send out the power point of the presentation so the webinar will most likely be based off that. 

Waaaait what powerpoint? I don't remember getting any powerpoint =[

1 hour ago, thejellybean said:

Hi everyone! Just found this forum and wanted to add to the chat with my own status as another reference for people.

I'm applying for PhD and have been admitted to one program so far. I was on Matched for a few eternal weeks and stopped checking after a while because I was going insane lol. I recently had my first interview with an employer and then checked to see that my status had been changed to Held so who know for how long that's been there. I'm hoping the webinar on Monday clears up what we're supposed to do on our end of the recruitment process.

Congrats to everyone who has been hearing good news! I looked through the forum and saw some very positive things =]

EDIT: Also, Only 2/8 schools I have applied to so far have confirmed that my status through GEM, for anyone who might be interested

Which ME program? If you don't mind me asking. Also, congratulations!

Hi peeps!

I am new here and just wanted to share my time with people feeling like myself (overwhelmed over responses). I have, as all of you, applied to the GEM Fellowship and have been 'Matched' since forever - just today 2 universities (out of 8) confirmed that I have applied. Looking forward to Monday's webinar.

Edit: Congratulations to those of you who have been reached out by companies!

Edited by drfigue

Wow I have no idea how I didn't see that the first time around @ray92 ?Glad I checked this forum!

2 hours ago, drfigue said:

Which ME program? If you don't mind me asking. Also, congratulations!

Thank you! And I would rather stay as anonymous as possible so I don't think I will be sharing which schools specifically.

5 hours ago, thejellybean said:

2 hours ago, drfigue said:

Hi peeps!

I am new here and just wanted to share my time with people feeling like myself (overwhelmed over responses). I have, as all of you, applied to the GEM Fellowship and have been 'Matched' since forever - just today 2 universities (out of 8) confirmed that I have applied. Looking forward to Monday's webinar.

Edit: Congratulations to those of you who have been reached out by companies!

Welcome to the GEM crew! I hope you both hear things from a company soon!

@thejellybean Congrats on being admitted to a school!

Correct me if I am wrong but there are three phases of rejection letters right? The first one already past and second one is on march 15th or so and the last one is around April but this is only if there there are still companies looking for GEM Fellows?

@ray92 According to the pdf file they have of FAQs, a final decline notice will be sent out by March 15th. However, the entire confirmation process (sending in transcripts, accepting sponsors, getting details on your summer internship) must be completed by May 1st. I saw on another email I got a few days after accepting my sponsor that you must confirm your employer sponsor by February 6th, but that must be for people that get sponsors by then. Possibly after that, employers will continue to look for people until their spots are filled, especially if people decline the internship. So, I think after March 15th, the only way you can get declined is if you lied on your application and/or don’t fully complete the confirmation process by May 1st. 

10 hours ago, ray92 said:

@Moods Ah okay. Yeah so applicants still might be able to get a sponsor after the March 15th if companies are still looking for peeople?

Also did your company reach out to you?

I see you had 2 interviews congrats!

I believe so. I am not entirely sure, but that makes sense to me. I just think everyone will know by March 15th if they get a fellowship or not. Beyond that date will probably determine if you get a full or associate (just university sponsor) fellowship. 

Still no, but I will try to reach out to them soon if I don’t hear anything. Thanks for asking!

Thanks! Two UConn and one UW phone interview. It’s getting exciting and I hope this is good news! 

I hope things are going well for you!