2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

3 hours ago, K Alex said:

Has anyone who interviewed or been contacted by employers apply to a specific position? I've been on the "matched" status since the day of the email back in November but haven't heard anything or seen any change in the status.

In any case I'm a bit confused on the process itself. The employers are suppose to contact us for a position where they see fit based on our resume from GEM right? Is it correct to assume that we aren't "required" to apply to a position at the company in order for that employer to be able to consider our resume through GEM? 

@K Alex I think I've read somewhere in this thread that it can help, but I never applied to any positions. They just saw my GEM application (because I'm assuming GEM threw it at them lol) which includes the resume and they gave me a call. I've only had one interview though.

Looks like everything should be finalized with employers by Feb 6. Congrats to everyone who was selected.

Edited by TITX

@TITX I think there will still be some employees selecting people after Feb 6. One reason is that people will decline offers on Feb 6th since that is the day that you need to respond by. I also think that not employers will pick their GEM Interns by that date, I think this due to past GEM Forums stating still getting interviews after this date. This could have changed from last year but I doubt due to many factors could stall a hiring process for interns. Also do not get discouraged! The only way you know you are out is if you get a rejection letter from GEM so keep your chin up until then.

42 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@Moods I wonder if they are waiting until the Feb 6th so they can send out a mass email to all the GEM Fellows lol

Good point! I am probably not the only one who got an internship there since it seems like a big place with diverse research!

32 minutes ago, Moods said:

Good point! I am probably not the only one who got an internship there since it seems like a big place with diverse research!

Maybe we got the same employer haha. I also didn't interview or anything.

8 minutes ago, Nait said:

Maybe we got the same employer haha. I also didn't interview or anything. 

Possibly! I will PM you the employer. I am not sure if it is the best idea to do it so out in the open. I mean, I am sure it is fine, but since this isn't 100% definite, I feel weird saying to out in the open.

7 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@Moods If they do not contact you by Feb 12 I would contact GEM so they can contact them lol. 

Now it is just waiting on schools! I hope I get in!

Thanks, I think I will!

Ugggghhhh, this is literally worse than applying in my opinion!

Slightly off topic, but if anyone is accepted to University of California for a PhD program and is a GEM applicant, I have some advice. I was a GEM fellow a few years back and am currently attending a UC program (reapplying to GEM this year). 

From a grad division person at my school, I heard that when you are a GEM university/associate/full fellow (or you at least applied to GEM), you are in very strong consideration for the UC-wide Cota-Robles fellowship (https://grad.uci.edu/funding/fellowships-awards/diversity-fellowships/eugene-cota-robles.php; link is for UCI, but again it's UC-wide). BUT your department has to nominate you for it. I missed out because I didn't reach out to my department for them to nominate me (they may not be accustomed to diverse applicants), so make sure you reach out to the UC department you apply to! If you haven't been accepted as a GEM fellow, you may also want to reach out to the University GEM rep about this. Don't miss out on that cash.

Edited by KAWA

@KAWA That is great advice!

Why are you reapplying if you are a GEM Fellow? Do they run out of funding eventually or did you leave school for a minute? If you did drop the program what are the repercussion?

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

@KAWA That is great advice!

Why are you reapplying if you are a GEM Fellow? Do they run out of funding eventually or did you leave school for a minute? If you did drop the program what are the repercussion?

My particular program's contribution to the GEM fellowship was actually through Teaching Assistantship which according to GEM guidelines is fair game (advice for everyone else: try to get a better deal than TA-ing lol). So a new $16K fellowship from the GEM sponsor would be handy and so would the internship experience.

Edit: also, reapplying to GEM is pretty easy since the portal saves your previous application and letters of rec. So may as well reapply. 

Edited by KAWA

@KAWA Ah I thought they fund you for 5+ years for PhD either through TA or RA?

So since you are a GEM Fellow and already did an internship did they offer for you to return for next summer?

Edited by ray92

1 hour ago, drfigue said:

My status just changed to "Released"...when was I "Held"? ?

Wait... I was just released too! I had previously accepted an offer from an employer. Is that even possible?????? Did this happen to any one else???? I'm freaking out. Had to make an account to post this.

28 minutes ago, AnthonyR said:

Wait... I was just released too! I had previously accepted an offer from an employer. Is that even possible?????? Did this happen to any one else???? I'm freaking out. Had to make an account to post this.

What...contact GEM asap!!!

@AnthonyR That happened to me as well. I accepted an offer and it went to matched, so then the company had to accept me again. I think they changed their policy after you signed. When did you sign? Should contact either GEM or your POC with your employer.

Edited by ray92

1 hour ago, KAWA said:

My particular program's contribution to the GEM fellowship was actually through Teaching Assistantship which according to GEM guidelines is fair game (advice for everyone else: try to get a better deal than TA-ing lol). So a new $16K fellowship from the GEM sponsor would be handy and so would the internship experience.

Edit: also, reapplying to GEM is pretty easy since the portal saves your previous application and letters of rec. So may as well reapply. 

Were you a full GEM Fellow (meaning you were selected by an employer ) and did an internship? If yes, how come your program only had you TA? Or were you a GEM Associate Fellow?