Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

hey all, I noticed there wasn't a thread like this for linguistics yet and I wanted to connect with other people working on their applications!

I graduated from my undergrad this summer and am currently taking a gap year to save some money. I'm planning on applying to Ohio State, Stanford, UPenn, CU Boulder, Michigan, and Northwestern, and my focus is sociophonetics, and phonology/phonetics more broadly. (and by now my spellcheck really should recognise sociophonetics as a word, tbh.) 

where are you applying?

Hey! I'm applying for programs that offer computational linguistics as a subfield. I'm applying to UT Austin, Rochester, Stanford, Georgetown, U Washington, Indiana, CU Boulder and Brandeis. Hopefully that's not too many or too few schools haha. Good luck!!

As someone who also took a gap year, I think the time away from school has helped me create a more fleshed out and realistic plan for the future. I was intending to specialize in syntax/psycholing and apply for PhD programs, but for various reasons I've gotten cold feet about the PhD process and no longer believe that I have the internal fortitude to go through with it.

That being said, I did well in an upper level computational ling course during my final semester and really enjoyed the machine learning and NLP courses offered at NASSLLI this summer. So I'm going to apply to a few master's programs in comp ling that I think have particularly good career outcomes, namely Edinburgh, Brandeis, Rochester (my hometown), and Washington. There are a few others that I'm eyeing up but not so sure about, those being Stony Brook, Syracuse, and CUNY Graduate Center.

If anyone has any advice or personal experience with those programs (applying, financing, general atmosphere of the program, professors), please feel free to chime in or pm me. Good luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone applying for Fall 2019.

With exception of the one I already applied to, the other programmes I have in mind will not be accepting applications before February or March 2019. Let's hope I find a way to focus more on my BA in the meantime, instead of manically hitting Refresh on all the uni websites ?

On 10/28/2018 at 4:40 AM, coreyasdf said:

As someone who also took a gap year, I think the time away from school has helped me create a more fleshed out and realistic plan for the future. I was intending to specialize in syntax/psycholing and apply for PhD programs, but for various reasons I've gotten cold feet about the PhD process and no longer believe that I have the internal fortitude to go through with it.

That being said, I did well in an upper level computational ling course during my final semester and really enjoyed the machine learning and NLP courses offered at NASSLLI this summer. So I'm going to apply to a few master's programs in comp ling that I think have particularly good career outcomes, namely Edinburgh, Brandeis, Rochester (my hometown), and Washington. There are a few others that I'm eyeing up but not so sure about, those being Stony Brook, Syracuse, and CUNY Graduate Center.

If anyone has any advice or personal experience with those programs (applying, financing, general atmosphere of the program, professors), please feel free to chime in or pm me. Good luck everyone!

I did my undergrad at Edinburgh, I can definitely recommend the department! I did some computational courses (speech processing/synthesis) and the resources and people are incredible. I can't say much about applying or financing, unfortunately, as it's very different for undergrad and also for EU residents, but the city is great, and the entire linguistics department is full of lovely, inspiring people. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 5:44 AM, phonotactless said:

hey all, I noticed there wasn't a thread like this for linguistics yet and I wanted to connect with other people working on their applications!

I graduated from my undergrad this summer and am currently taking a gap year to save some money. I'm planning on applying to Ohio State, Stanford, UPenn, CU Boulder, Michigan, and Northwestern, and my focus is sociophonetics, and phonology/phonetics more broadly. (and by now my spellcheck really should recognise sociophonetics as a word, tbh.) 

where are you applying?

We have a very similar focus and quite some overlap in our schools too :)

I'm looking to do sociolinguistics and applying to Georgetown, NYU, UPenn, Stanford, U Washington, McGill, Boston U and Michigan. Thanks for starting this thread! I'll be interested to see how everyone's doing and how the apps turned out.

Are you pretty squared away on the apps at this point? My first deadline is December 1 (a week from today!) and last one is January 7.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:34 AM, bachelorette said:

We have a very similar focus and quite some overlap in our schools too :)

I'm looking to do sociolinguistics and applying to Georgetown, NYU, UPenn, Stanford, U Washington, McGill, Boston U and Michigan. Thanks for starting this thread! I'll be interested to see how everyone's doing and how the apps turned out.

Are you pretty squared away on the apps at this point? My first deadline is December 1 (a week from today!) and last one is January 7.

I'm just about to send in my final applications! Still missing Penn and Michigan because they had more specific SOP instructions than the rest. And I actually last-minute decided to ditch Boulder and put U Washington back in instead, so that's even more overlap between us haha 

15 hours ago, phonotactless said:

I'm just about to send in my final applications! Still missing Penn and Michigan because they had more specific SOP instructions than the rest. And I actually last-minute decided to ditch Boulder and put U Washington back in instead, so that's even more overlap between us haha 

Nice! I like the Denver area more than Seattle, but liked Washington's program more...

On 11/28/2018 at 2:46 AM, bachelorette said:

Nice! I like the Denver area more than Seattle, but liked Washington's program more...

yeah exactly -- the more I looked at the CU website the more I was like wait, no, this isn't what I want after all and Washington seemed to have much more opportunities for sociophonetics type stuff. I am a little in horror at how expensive it would be to live in Seattle though lmao (although let's be real my Grey's Anatomy fangirl self would love it)

On 11/28/2018 at 2:59 AM, bachelorette said:

PS Where did you do your undergrad?

I did my undergrad at Edinburgh in Scotland! what about you?

On 12/3/2018 at 12:29 AM, phonotactless said:

yeah exactly -- the more I looked at the CU website the more I was like wait, no, this isn't what I want after all and Washington seemed to have much more opportunities for sociophonetics type stuff. I am a little in horror at how expensive it would be to live in Seattle though lmao (although let's be real my Grey's Anatomy fangirl self would love it)

I did my undergrad at Edinburgh in Scotland! what about you?

UC Santa Barbara... and OMG Grey's hahahaha I would be sooo into it too! :P

Did you finish applying to all your schools? I just have Boston left and will do that first thing in the New Year since the deadline isn't until January 7th and my bank account needs a break. Good luck to you!

3 minutes ago, bachelorette said:

UC Santa Barbara... and OMG Grey's hahahaha I would be sooo into it too! :P

Did you finish applying to all your schools? I just have Boston left and will do that first thing in the New Year since the deadline isn't until January 7th and my bank account needs a break. Good luck to you!

All my applications are due basically now so I sent in my last one on Sunday — now it’s just the endless waiting ahah 

good luck with your last one!

Hi. I might be applying to somewhat marginalized field of Linguistics in the States. Second Language Studies/Writing is my focus. Intended programs are: Mich State (Higher Education, SLS), Penn State, UC Davis, UHawaii. Considering the fact that my most desired program is offered by PSU. I didn't choose to apply for some rather competitive SLS program, e.g. Georgetown.

My focus lies somewhere between Linguistics and Education, so I've checked both programs. Really eager to know someone who has similar interest.

Good luck to you all.  

Edited by QIUQIU

On 12/7/2018 at 10:21 PM, phoneticianwithnoname said:

Hi guys! Anyone applying to UCLA, UMass and JHU? What are your interests? Goooooooood luck!!!

hey! I didn't apply to any of those programs (though UCLA was tempting, but the sheer size of LA straight up scares me), but based on your screen name we have similar interests!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 4:35 PM, TheLeoLinguist said:

I applied to University of Michigan, UT Arlington, Purdue, and Ball State...I don't feel very confident though.

Why is that? What subfields are you looking at? We all have a little bit of imposter syndrome I’m sure ;)

On 12/24/2018 at 9:26 PM, bachelorette said:

Why is that? What subfields are you looking at? We all have a little bit of imposter syndrome I’m sure ;)

I definitely do! I keep vacillating wildly between "I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm sure I'll get in somewhere" and "I'm never going to get into grad school and my retail-working gap year will just keep extending until one day I wake up and this is just my life now"

I also spent most of December firmly telling myself that there's no way anything would happen before Christmas, so now that that's over... the email-refreshing has commenced with a fury

On 12/27/2018 at 10:18 AM, phonotactless said:

I definitely do! I keep vacillating wildly between "I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm sure I'll get in somewhere" and "I'm never going to get into grad school and my retail-working gap year will just keep extending until one day I wake up and this is just my life now"

I also spent most of December firmly telling myself that there's no way anything would happen before Christmas, so now that that's over... the email-refreshing has commenced with a fury

I’ve been mentally prepared to wait til early 2019 so today is my last day of mental freedom before I start freaking out too ?

I did my undergrad in English,  and my MA in linguistics, and now I am applying for the Ph.D. programs. I am into phonogy and recently I feel like I kind of started to like syntax. 

I applied to MIT and I think my chances are zero, but at least I tried :( 

did anyone apply for MIT ? 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:37 PM, Phono_ said:

I did my undergrad in English,  and my MA in linguistics, and now I am applying for the Ph.D. programs. I am into phonogy and recently I feel like I kind of started to like syntax. 

I applied to MIT and I think my chances are zero, but at least I tried :(

did anyone apply for MIT ? 

Nope, no MIT for me...