Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

3 hours ago, lnik said:

Hi, guys! Wow, I feel like my interests are way different from y'all's. ? I'm interested in syntax and the syntax-semantics interface, mostly looking at event structure and the left periphery. My current research looks at American Sign Language, focusing on facial grammar and telicity.

I'm finishing up my BA in linguistics at Purdue right now! Love this school, although some of the professors are terrible. (To anyone applying to Purdue: Raskin is a pervert. Avoid him. Separately, Benedicto and Chanon are crazy, but relatively tame. Still worth avoiding tho.)

I applied to uMich, Harvard, uChicago, and Purdue (love my lab, so I wouldn't be heartbroken to stay). I've interviewed with Chicago and was just invited to the campus visit at Michigan. My POI at Harvard told me to keep an eye on my email inbox for next week too... It's all so exciting! 

guess I’ll see you in Michigan then!

I’ve been trying to figure out — in the email they’ve been calling it a recruitment weekend, but is it us trying to convince them we’re worthy of admission or them trying to convince us we should go there?

13 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Oh, so have all the interview invites for Maryland been extended?

I think professors are sending out invites individually, so it really depends on who your POI is. 

Also if you identified multiple POIs in your application, you might get more than one skype interviews. I feel like the professors at umd are just interviewing whoever at whenever they want, so keep an eye on your inbox: it can be any time now

On 1/20/2019 at 12:41 AM, phonotactless said:

no, my interview isn’t until mid-Feb. 

where did you apply? what kind of subfields are you interested in?

Hi, 

I applied to UW, NYU, and CUNY. I wanted to apply to other schools but couldn't afford to (props to schools with fee waivers!) or the people I was interested in working with weren't taking students haha. 

I'm into phonetics/labphon : )

P.S. I love your username! 

Edited by reciprosody

20 hours ago, phonotactless said:

guess I’ll see you in Michigan then!

I’ve been trying to figure out — in the email they’ve been calling it a recruitment weekend, but is it us trying to convince them we’re worthy of admission or them trying to convince us we should go there?

The former, from what me and my research advisor here at Purdue can gather... Short list typically implies that it's a list they still plan to whittle down. I think they're mostly going to be looking to see how well we click with faculty and the other students as well as well how well prepared we are in ways that aren't made clear in the application (basically, can you dress and act appropriately, are you emotionally mature, do you actually understand what an MA or PhD with their department would entail...)

4 hours ago, lnik said:

The former, from what me and my research advisor here at Purdue can gather... Short list typically implies that it's a list they still plan to whittle down. I think they're mostly going to be looking to see how well we click with faculty and the other students as well as well how well prepared we are in ways that aren't made clear in the application (basically, can you dress and act appropriately, are you emotionally mature, do you actually understand what an MA or PhD with their department would entail...)

okay, makes sense, thanks for the input!

6 hours ago, phonotactless said:

okay, makes sense, thanks for the input!

No problem! It's pretty confusing, honestly. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Separately, let me know if you have any questions about Ann Arbor. I have family that lives in the area, so I know what to see, eat, do, etc... ?

1 minute ago, lnik said:

No problem! It's pretty confusing, honestly. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Separately, let me know if you have any questions about Ann Arbor. I have family that lives in the area, so I know what to see, eat, do, etc... ?

that's good to know, I will definitely defer to you on such decisions if we need to make any ?  I've only been to the US twice and the most recent time was 12 years ago, so everything will be new for me lmao 

2 hours ago, reciprosody said:

How were your interviews? I'm kinda nervous. 

So for all three they asked pretty similar questions: (1) what did you do in your undergrad career (research experience etc.) (2) what do you want to do in graduate school (research plan) (3) Why our department (4) what do you want to learn in grad school. (5) what questions do you have for us

Length varies. The one with Yale lasted about 20 mins, mostly because I am interested in syntax/sentence processing, but my interviewers were a semanticist and a phonologist and they were visibly uninterested in my research background and plans (for some reason my POIs that I mentioned in my statement were not there) so we didn't talk much. So I wasn't so surprised that I was eventually waitlisted. 

As for Maryland and uChicago, they both lasted around one and a half hours.

15 minutes ago, VS3K said:

I'm applying to 6 (Kansas/Maryland/Pitt/Arizona/Northwestern/Georgetown), but I'm currently at UMich. Feel free to ask me about POIs or Ann Arbor-- I know the Ling department very well :)

in your opinion, at the visit weekend should I draw attention to or away from my wug tattoo? ?would it help me or hurt me lmao

57 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

in your opinion, at the visit weekend should I draw attention to or away from my wug tattoo? ?would it help me or hurt me lmao

Definitely draw attention, but to the grad students not the profs-- let the grad students tell/show the profs!

6 hours ago, VS3K said:

I'm applying to 6 (Kansas/Maryland/Pitt/Arizona/Northwestern/Georgetown), but I'm currently at UMich. Feel free to ask me about POIs or Ann Arbor-- I know the Ling department very well :)

Ooh, good luck!!! I do have a question about UMich- what would you say student culture is like within the department? Like, are ling students a really close knit group? What kind of events and get togethers do y'all have? (I know Ann Arbor and my POI really well, lol. Just curious about what student life is like from your perspective.)

6 hours ago, phonotactless said:

I absolutely love that you have a wug tattoo. So cute! ? Def do what @VS3K suggested! The grad students should love it (I know they would in my current department.)

7 hours ago, lnik said:

Ooh, good luck!!! I do have a question about UMich- what would you say student culture is like within the department? Like, are ling students a really close knit group? What kind of events and get togethers do y'all have? (I know Ann Arbor and my POI really well, lol. Just curious about what student life is like from your perspective.)

now that's a much more sensible question than mine lmao (and I also want to know the answer!)

8 hours ago, lnik said:

The department is community-oriented with regards to grad students (although there are certainly students who decide not to participate in extracurricular events!), which you can find more about on the GLaM webpage.  There are many graduate courses that undergrads are encouraged or allowed to take, which helps foster a tighter community among everyone from tenured professors to passionate sophomores.  The department is also very interdisciplinary, with many professors holding joint appointments in other departments, connecting Ling students with Psych/Computer Science/Language/Philosophy/Neuro/Transcultural/etc students and faculty to build a holistic view of language.

In terms of get-togethers, there are University and department-wide colloquia and symposia that students can present at and attend, as well as GLaM events, (bi)weekly meetings with your interest group(s), and biannual events like the Open House and undergrad senior poster session.

Plus, the department isn't massive so you'll get to know everyone pretty quickly :)

On 1/2/2019 at 5:26 AM, ResilientDreams said:

Did anyone else here apply to the program at Maryland?

Sorry for replying only now. Trying to stay off of here but I finally caved in XD Applied to Linguistics at Maryland, University of British Columbia, U of Toronto, NYU and U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Just had an interview at Maryland and an accepptance from Illinois the other week.

1 hour ago, There&BackAgain said:

Sorry for replying only now. Trying to stay off of here but I finally caved in XD Applied to Linguistics at Maryland, University of British Columbia, U of Toronto, NYU and U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Just had an interview at Maryland and an accepptance from Illinois the other week.

I have an interview with Maryland on Monday.