Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

Has anyone applied/admitted to second language studies/applied programs? Such as Georgetown, MSU, PSU, GSU, UCDavis, UHawaii.

How's the competition this year

I'm not sure who to ask, but I got waitlisted at UW. I figure it's generally a toss-up whether you have a chance of being admitted or not from the waitlist, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with being waitlisted or knowledge about UW's admissions process? I was just about to give up on the PhD route altogether when I got this email so I want to know as much as I can!

4 hours ago, Nasalitea said:

@ergative I was waitlisted in mid-March a few years back (not for computational, but for the general track). They emailed me again in mid-April with an offer, but I declined having committed elsewhere already. Hope this is helpful info!

That is incredibly helpful, thanks for sharing!! Hopefully, I will get as lucky as I do not have any other funded offers haha. Best of luck to anyone else in this thread still waiting!

On 3/19/2019 at 6:06 AM, ergative said:

That is incredibly helpful, thanks for sharing!! Hopefully, I will get as lucky as I do not have any other funded offers haha. Best of luck to anyone else in this thread still waiting!

did you have an interview with UW? I'm still waiting to hear from them as well and I saw one interview invitation earlier in the year and now I've been seeing both acceptances and rejections in the results search... it's my last PhD option but I'm not going to lie, this late in the game I'm not super optimistic. I've applied to some MA programs in Europe as well, and now I'm just hoping I put enough effort into my backup applications that I'll get in somewhere, at least

2 hours ago, phonotactless said:

did you have an interview with UW? I'm still waiting to hear from them as well and I saw one interview invitation earlier in the year and now I've been seeing both acceptances and rejections in the results search... it's my last PhD option but I'm not going to lie, this late in the game I'm not super optimistic. I've applied to some MA programs in Europe as well, and now I'm just hoping I put enough effort into my backup applications that I'll get in somewhere, at least

I didn't have an interview with them! I saw those results too and figured I was gonna be rejected, so I was quite surprised to get the notification I was waitlisted. It's strange you haven't heard from them yet, maybe you're on a hidden/secret waitlist? I've heard of those existing, in which case you might have a better chance than me. Otherwise... well, it ain't over til it's over. I'm already going to assume the worst and am working on my plan B. I'm really sorry to hear that your applications haven't been successful this cycle but I hope you're able to get in somewhere! I'm rooting for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I received an acceptance 1 minute ago! I am on cloud nine, because I thought I have overlooked every single thing in my application and already accepted defeat. And there it was!

Edited by elka

1 minute ago, elka said:

I received an acceptance 1 minute ago! I am on cloud nine, because I thought I have overlooked every single thing in my application and already accepted defeat. And there it was!

Congratulations! I received an acceptance 7 minutes ago!! UW is my dream school. It was quite a stressful day today...

1 minute ago, DONTMOVE said:

Congratulations! I received an acceptance 7 minutes ago!! UW is my dream school. It was quite a stressful day today...

Congratulations to you, too, hope everything works out and we both actually attend the program.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:31 AM, phonotactless said:

I'm still waiting to hear anything from UW about the general ling PhD, beginning to think they just lost my application at this point tbh

I'm sorry to hear that ? I followed up on my status on the waitlist on Monday and later that day they invited me to interview, so I think it would be worth it for you to reach out to them and ask for an update! Worst comes to worst, you'll confirm a rejection sooner rather than later, but you never know, there might be some hope left. ? Either way, good luck!!

Also, congrats to everyone who got into the MS CompLing program at UW! I'd be doing the PhD route if accepted, but it would be awesome to run into some of you in classes if I don't fail my interview and get lucky enough to attend ?

6 hours ago, ergative said:

I'm sorry to hear that ? I followed up on my status on the waitlist on Monday and later that day they invited me to interview, so I think it would be worth it for you to reach out to them and ask for an update! Worst comes to worst, you'll confirm a rejection sooner rather than later, but you never know, there might be some hope left. ? Either way, good luck!!

Also, congrats to everyone who got into the MS CompLing program at UW! I'd be doing the PhD route if accepted, but it would be awesome to run into some of you in classes if I don't fail my interview and get lucky enough to attend ?

yeah I’m going to contact them if I don’t hear anything by the end of the week — I’m expecting to hear back from the European MA programs I applied to either today or tomorrow, and like a coward I want to know whether or not literally my entire future is hanging on UW when I send that email ?

7 hours ago, phonotactless said:

yeah I’m going to contact them if I don’t hear anything by the end of the week — I’m expecting to hear back from the European MA programs I applied to either today or tomorrow, and like a coward I want to know whether or not literally my entire future is hanging on UW when I send that email ?

update, I heard back from Lund (Sweden) today and after over a year of not knowing for sure what I'll be doing in six months, I have a future again ?

so I emailed UW and now I'm just waiting for the "oh um sorry it took so long but yeah nah"

37 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

update, I heard back from Lund (Sweden) today and after over a year of not knowing for sure what I'll be doing in six months, I have a future again ?

so I emailed UW and now I'm just waiting for the "oh um sorry it took so long but yeah nah"

Oh, good!!! I saw your post on the results page and was like, "God, I hope that's @phonotactless." So happy you at least have one clear option.

16 hours ago, lnik said:

Oh, good!!! I saw your post on the results page and was like, "God, I hope that's @phonotactless." So happy you at least have one clear option.

thank you so much, I really appreciate the thought!!

will you be attending Chicago, or are you still hoping to get into Michigan off the waitlist?

22 hours ago, phonotactless said:

thank you so much, I really appreciate the thought!!

will you be attending Chicago, or are you still hoping to get into Michigan off the waitlist?

Lol, I just really hope to get to see you around in the field someday!!! I think you do interesting work, so I want to see how that develops as your research skills grow.

Ahhhh... I forgot to update my signature. ???  I got the email this week. My chest is a bit lighter now, haha. (Although I'd begun making plans for an MA in Europe, so I was super pumped about that, and now I just feel like I have whiplash...).

On 4/4/2019 at 10:12 PM, phonotactless said:

Congratulations!!! I knew you would make it!!