2019 Canadian SLP Thread

5 hours ago, Amy Sid said:

Hey, 

Thanks for your response! I'm assuming that range is the ORPAS calculated sub-GPA for only the final two years, but either way this makes me feel a little more hopeful about my application, it's just a waiting game at this point. I feel like the whole selection process is shrouded in so much secrecy, and you never really know what they're looking for in their applicants. Good luck to you as well, and if you're in school, I hope the rest of your semester goes smoothly ?

No problem! I just know that subgpa weighs a lot for Uoft SLP. Uoft SLP admissions told me that it is actually possible to get in even with the minimal subGPA (3.0) considering that the other components of the application are outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Origami_Princess said:

No problem! I just know that subgpa weighs a lot for Uoft SLP. Uoft SLP admissions told me that it is actually possible to get in even with the minimal subGPA (3.0) considering that the other components of the application are outstanding. 

Yes I can imagine, and it makes sense because going on GPA alone wouldn't be a fair analysis of someone's suitability to the program! I feel like my GPA is decent, but what I'm most worried about is that I had very few SLP-related hours when I submitted my application, because I only found out about the program this year. I really hope that the admissions committee takes into consideration applicants like me who have a more diverse range of volunteer and extracurricular experiences, even if they aren't SLP-related. I guess all we can do at this point is sit tight and hope for the best!

12 hours ago, Amy Sid said:

Yes I can imagine, and it makes sense because going on GPA alone wouldn't be a fair analysis of someone's suitability to the program! I feel like my GPA is decent, but what I'm most worried about is that I had very few SLP-related hours when I submitted my application, because I only found out about the program this year. I really hope that the admissions committee takes into consideration applicants like me who have a more diverse range of volunteer and extracurricular experiences, even if they aren't SLP-related. I guess all we can do at this point is sit tight and hope for the best!

I'm in the exact same boat. Finger's crossed because UofT is my top choice!

47 minutes ago, YaySLP! said:

I'm in the exact same boat. Finger's crossed because UofT is my top choice!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one haha - UofT is my top choice as well, so I'm really hoping for the best! ?

Edited by Amy Sid

1 minute ago, lingskwa said:

I’m gonna ask a stupid question - your guys’ GPAs are on a 4.0 scale? or 4.33? I’m at UBC and trying to reason with my odds. 

At UofA where I graduated it’s a 4.0 scale!

47 minutes ago, lingskwa said:

I’m gonna ask a stupid question - your guys’ GPAs are on a 4.0 scale? or 4.33? I’m at UBC and trying to reason with my odds. 

It's not a stupid question at all! I'm not sure about other programs but in Ontario our GPAs are converted to a 4.0 scale when you apply, regardless of which scale you used at your undergraduate university. Hope that helps ?

Hello! 

I know we find out about the Ontario schools on April 2nd. In the past, people have found out right at midnight but I haven't heard anything about that this year. Does anyone know for sure if ORPAS is going to update at midnight? I am already anticipating the horrible wait on Monday night but I don't want to wind myself up if it may not be updated until later on, on Tuesday.

Anyway, if anyone knows if it will be updated right at midnight, that would be awesome! It's getting so close!

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, slpleaseletmeintoslp said:

Hello! 

I know we find out about the Ontario schools on April 2nd. In the past, people have found out right at midnight but I haven't heard anything about that this year. Does anyone know for sure if ORPAS is going to update at midnight? I am already anticipating the horrible wait on Monday night but I don't want to wind myself up if it may not be updated until later on, on Tuesday.

Anyway, if anyone knows if it will be updated right at midnight, that would be awesome! It's getting so close!

Thanks! 

Totally from reading previous forums and talking with friends who applied in the past, it seems that Western is 12am on the dot, McMaster is a few hours later, and U of T can range from 12am on the dot to 11:59pm. Again, pretty anecdotal! Not sure about uOttawa.

Edited by slpfinally

19 hours ago, lingskwa said:

UBC is waiting until start of April too. Guess they want to make sure people really want to go there? 

Hi! Did you get ahold of UBC and they confirmed that they're not sending out any decisions until April? ? 

I'm on the waitlist, i have no idea how many of us are on it. I assume they make the waitlist long enough to replace the average amount of people who usually decline the offer of admission. Do you know how it works? If we are numbered and we will be offered admission in a certain order? 

On 3/23/2019 at 2:53 PM, maroo7 said:

Hi! Did you get ahold of UBC and they confirmed that they're not sending out any decisions until April? ? 

I'm not the person who posted. But UBC recently updated their website and now it says acceptances are sent out "early April" and via email.

2 hours ago, SLP2019please said:

I'm on the waitlist, i have no idea how many of us are on it. I assume they make the waitlist long enough to replace the average amount of people who usually decline the offer of admission. Do you know how it works? If we are numbered and we will be offered admission in a certain order? 

I just sent them an email, I will keep you posted!

17 hours ago, slpbc said:

I just sent them an email, I will keep you posted!

I heard from a former McGill SLP student that they choose between 3 and 10 people to be on the waiting list. I have no idea how many actually get accepted on average in the end.

Edited by MLM2019

Any parents in the applicants? I was wondering if I was the only one crazy enough to apply for a SL-P master program with kids....?

I am finishing by bachelor at UdeM this spring and I am on the waiting list at McGill and still waiting for the answer from OttU after going to the interviews on March 11th. I'm very impressed to see how accomplished all of you are and I wish you all success. April 2nd will be a big day for most of us. :) 

Do any non-UBC students know how to get a spot in UBC's mandatory online neuroanatomy (AUDI 402) prerequisite? This is the third semester where I've tried to register for this class, but by the time registration opens for visiting students the class is already full. It's pretty discouraging knowing that my application is now void because it's impossible for me to complete this class since it's always full. 

If anyone ends up dropping this class if they get accepted to a different university, could you please let me know? Thanks

Edited by Slpeechie

47 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

Do any non-UBC students know how to get a spot in UBC's mandatory online neuroanatomy (AUDI 402) prerequisite? This is the third semester where I've tried to register for this class, but by the time registration opens for visiting students the class is already full. It's pretty discouraging knowing that my application is now void because it's impossible for me to complete this class since it's always full. 

If anyone ends up dropping this class if they get accepted to a different university, could you please let me know? Thanks

Hey! I took AUDI402 last year in January and I wasn't going to UBC (from the east coast!). I had trouble getting in too because UBC students could register for the course way earlier than registration opened for non-UBC students, and the course was full by the time I was allowed to register. I called and emailed the department in October about getting into the course for January and they were super helpful and put me on the waitlist and basically assured me that people would drop the course by the time January rolled around and that I should be fine to get in. I didn't find out until about a week before the course was scheduled to start that I was in off the waitlist, so that was a little nerve-wracking (considering I had already paid the tuition). Are you trying to get into the course starting in May? My advice would be (if you haven't already!) to call the department and explain your situation and ask to be placed on their waitlist, I spoke to a few different people on the phone and over email and everyone went out of their way to help me! They usually have a handful of non-UBC students trying to register and they know the circumstances are different so they really do try their best to make it accessible to anyone interested in their MSc program.

I really hope it works out for you, let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out!!!

18 minutes ago, maroo7 said:

Hey! I took AUDI402 last year in January and I wasn't going to UBC (from the east coast!). I had trouble getting in too because UBC students could register for the course way earlier than registration opened for non-UBC students, and the course was full by the time I was allowed to register. I called and emailed the department in October about getting into the course for January and they were super helpful and put me on the waitlist and basically assured me that people would drop the course by the time January rolled around and that I should be fine to get in. I didn't find out until about a week before the course was scheduled to start that I was in off the waitlist, so that was a little nerve-wracking (considering I had already paid the tuition). Are you trying to get into the course starting in May? My advice would be (if you haven't already!) to call the department and explain your situation and ask to be placed on their waitlist, I spoke to a few different people on the phone and over email and everyone went out of their way to help me! They usually have a handful of non-UBC students trying to register and they know the circumstances are different so they really do try their best to make it accessible to anyone interested in their MSc program.

I really hope it works out for you, let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out!!!

Thanks so much! I will definitely inquire about a waitlist. Did you have to pay a nonrefundable deposit to be put on the waitlist then?

20 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

Thanks so much! I will definitely inquire about a waitlist. Did you have to pay a nonrefundable deposit to be put on the waitlist then?

I did, and it was about 75% of what tuition for the course was going to come to- I expressed concern about paying for it and then not getting into the class with one of the advisors on the phone and they basically told me that I could submit a request to get the deposit back if I didn't manage to get into the course since it was out of my control (but def ask because I feel like different people may say different things about this).