2019 Canadian SLP Thread

Hi everyone! I am starting to think of applying to speech language pathology at McGill, but probably in 2020 only since I would have to do several prerequisite courses. At the moment I have a bsc in biology with a gpa of 4 on 4.3 as well as a master degree in biology.  I see a lot of you have volunteering experience in SLP clinics. Out of curiosity, what do you do exactly in your volunteering positions?  I really want to start to volunteer but I am not sure where to start! Thanks so much everyone!

Good luck with your application!

Edited by Marie80
Font size

Hi!

I am planning to apply in 2020 as I will be taking a gap year.

I have a few questions to students that got accepted in SLP schools in previous years.

How much do they look at your transcript? I had two B+ in the last two years of my undergrad and I was just wondering if that may affect my chance in getting in. 

I've volunteered with a SLP, TA'd for first year biology lab and a research assistant in a cognitive lab.

Guest student45238
On 12/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, slphopeful101 said:

Hey everyone, I'm currently a first year student at U of A, and it's been great so far! I was also accepted to Dalhousie (although waitlisted first)! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Hey! This is a long shot, but do you by chance have a copy of the prerequisites that were accepted for the 2018 year? They changed the requirements this year, but will still accept classes from the old requirements. However, the old requirements are no longer listed on their site. I took PSYCO 282 because it fulfilled one of the pre-reqs for UofA's program, but it's not listed anymore and I can't remember which category it was accepted under. I tried contacting the department and they said that they would still accept PSYCO 282, but they still didn't answer which category it falls under.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a BSc in Biological Sciences and an MSc in Neuroscience. I'm looking into applying across Canada for SLP. Do you know if certain programs look at both degrees or just your most recent degree? Just trying to figure out GPA. I'm currently working as an ABA therapist. I'm hopeful I'll get in but it's a daunting process. I will be writing my GRE soon. 

Good luck everyone!

They only look at your bachelors GPA but your MA would definitely strengthen your application

Hey everyone!

I'll be applying to Western, Toronto and McMaster this year! I was just wondering about ORPAS receiving transcripts. If we submitted the transcript request on the ORPAS application for the end of the semester, is that all we need to do? Just making sure I don't need to contact my university registrar office at all...

Good luck with all of your applications!

Hi everybody!

I’m sending my application to UofT, Western, and McMaster. I am majoring in Cognitive science and I have extensive volunteer experience with multiple populations in varying settings (school, clinic, hospital, community centers, summer camp). I also worked with underserved communities abroad and I’m leading an academic club on campus. Additionally, I have a strong research background in a cognitive neuroscience lab as a project leader. I’ve been blessed with amazing professors who have been supporting me for years so I’m sure they will vouch for me. With regards to clinical references, I know I have at least 1 really strong letter  (volunteered on & off in other places due to personal circumstances, scheduling conflicts / prioritizing) I mean, that’s just how life goes so it is what it is. lol

Academically, I think I’ve prepared well for grad studies. My interdisciplinary background have equipped me with invaluable skillsets and in depth knowledge about S-LP. However, I’m still iffy about my marks. I managed to maintain a subGPA of 3.6 (if my calculations are correct! ahhh lol) while working & handling everything. I know they look at each applicant holistically so I’m very hopeful this could work! If not, there’s always next year. :)

P.S. Please don’t get discouraged and fall into the trap of comparison. All we can do right now is strengthen what we can control and hope for the best.

I have learned to value my strengths! At the end of the day, remember that S-LP is about serving, caring & healing. So, let’s keep our hearts in check. I promise, when the time is right, we will all attain our S-LP dreams. ❤️

Wishing you all the best!

Hi everyone!

I'm a third year undergrad student and I've been reading some of the posts here trying to get an idea of what is required to be accepted into Canadian SLP programs. I unfortunately had a (very) rough year in second year and the highest I will realistically be able to boost my cGPA is 3.2/3.3 and that includes an extra semester. Reading these posts has made me think that I perhaps do not have a chance of attending grad school without doing more than one additional semester which, at that point, will not be worth it for me financially.

Anyway! my main question is how important is cGPA?  My subGPA will be stellar if I continue earning the grades I am right now but I can't erase the damage from second year.

Sorry I know this is a bit off-topic but I have not received a response from any of the  universities I contacted and I need to start making some decisions.

Thank you and good luck to all of you!

Hi everyone!

I applied to McGill, McMaster, U of A, and UBC. I'm so relieved to be finished my applications and can't wait to hear back from the universities. All the hard work is about to pay off!

Good luck everyone!

Hi to anyone who is a little more on the ball than I am with finishing up their U of T application. I put in my referee info fairly pretty late because it was online submission anyway. (I gave them all the details about forms, letters, deadlines, etc. back in October and updated/checked in again about three weeks ago; it's just the formal invitation to submit that was late-ish.)

Anyway, after a bit of head scratching trying to figure out how to go about submitting a second clinical reference for U of T, I sent a request through SAM (giving all contact info, including email, for my referee). I received a copy of the blank clinical form as a response -- we were fully expecting she'd be able to submit online so this has thrown me a bit. If she sends by regular mail it'll arrive a bit late; if I put in her info in the 3rd reference slot I assume she'd get the form for academic references; and then there is the email for his referees are having trouble submitting online. What makes most sense, do you think?

Also: foreign transcripts, I'm not sure if I need to submit an official translation. The grading rubric and the transcript is in English but not the course names. Transcript and grading rubric already sent to ORPAS direct. I'd rather save the cash if they don't need official translations or if PDF scans are fine/fine for now. ORPAS won't count the grades toward my GPA anyway and nothing on that transcript is relevant to grad school anyway... Multiple transcripts are such drama. ?

On 12/27/2018 at 4:34 PM, filibus said:

Anyway! my main question is how important is cGPA?  My subGPA will be stellar if I continue earning the grades I am right now but I can't erase the damage from second year.

Depends on the school, I think. I've heard from multiple sources UBC looks at grades first. I don't know what their cut off point is, or whether they cull by percentile (e.g. applicants with grades below the 60th percentile are rejected), or how they assess cGPA vs subGPA, sorry! I've been kinda ignoring anything about grade assessment; it's not anything I have any influence over  and I have enough to stress about already!)

My inclination is that schools that ask for additional tests/scores, like CASPer and GRE, and McMaster with MMIs, seem like they're trying to  understand applicants more broadly than just your transcript? and therefore might be more willing to  consider the application, see how we'll you're doing recently/read your explanation of your 2nd year grade dip, etc.. after all a 3.2 is totally solid outside the crazy world of SLP apps). I'm hoping my GRE scores (average in QR but solid QW and very strong VR) gives me a little boost over my really average/slightly below average, GPA!! (average in a SLP application context, haha)

On 12/21/2018 at 10:26 AM, slpleaseee said:

Hey everyone!

I'll be applying to Western, Toronto and McMaster this year! I was just wondering about ORPAS receiving transcripts. If we submitted the transcript request on the ORPAS application for the end of the semester, is that all we need to do? Just making sure I don't need to contact my university registrar office at all...

Good luck with all of your applications!

I think so! ORPAS will request the transcript directly from your school. Just make sure all of your tuition is paid off by Jan 4th so your transcript request can be processed.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, filibus said:

Hi everyone!

I'm a third year undergrad student and I've been reading some of the posts here trying to get an idea of what is required to be accepted into Canadian SLP programs. I unfortunately had a (very) rough year in second year and the highest I will realistically be able to boost my cGPA is 3.2/3.3 and that includes an extra semester. Reading these posts has made me think that I perhaps do not have a chance of attending grad school without doing more than one additional semester which, at that point, will not be worth it for me financially.

Sorry I know this is a bit off-topic but I have not received a response from any of the  universities I contacted and I need to start making some decisions.

Thank you and good luck to all of you!

I think cGPA can be telling of intellectual abilities. However, I feel like subGPA holds more weight because it usually represent advanced level courses. Also, I’ve heard Graduate schools are more lenient with poor 1st - 2nd year marks so if you can maintain stellar grades during your senior years, that would be ideal!

Looks like ORPAS is having issues and has extended the deadline for applications. I found this on the OUAC Website:

ORPAS Deadline Extension

January 4, 2019

At approximately 1 am on Friday, January 4, we experienced system issues that resulted in the ORPAS application being unavailable.

As a result, we have extended the application deadline to Monday, January 7, at 12 pm (noon) ET.

1 hour ago, kbrowns said:

Looks like ORPAS is having issues and has extended the deadline for applications. I found this on the OUAC Website:

ORPAS Deadline Extension

January 4, 2019

At approximately 1 am on Friday, January 4, we experienced system issues that resulted in the ORPAS application being unavailable.

As a result, we have extended the application deadline to Monday, January 7, at 12 pm (noon) ET.

Ah, very gracious of them. Well this just means (to my surprise) I've managed to complete my application before the deadline.

Hello everyone!

I am surprised that the deadline has been extended! Are you sure of this?

I also have another question, I am a BC resident and have to submit my transcript. Are transcripts due by the application deadline or by Jan 30th? I have heard both and I am confused.

Thanks all!

2 hours ago, ivyriver said:

Hello everyone!

I am surprised that the deadline has been extended! Are you sure of this?

I also have another question, I am a BC resident and have to submit my transcript. Are transcripts due by the application deadline or by Jan 30th? I have heard both and I am confused.

Thanks all!

HI there!

Yes, I e-mailed to confirm. The deadline has been extended to Monday, January 7th at 12 pm.

Transcripts must be received by January 30.

Hi everyone! I'm applying to U of A and I was wondering how everyone went about attaching their degree certificates to the online application. The university I've graduated from does not provide digital copies, but I don't want to leave anything out! Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

Hi everyone! 

I graduated with my BScN in May of 2018 and I've been working as a surgical RN for 8 months now. I applied for SLP right out of university at Western and Mac but unfortunately did not get in (I did get on the waitlist for an interview at Mac though). I spent the year taking courses, writing my GRE, volunteering and finding quality references for this time around. My subGPA is 3.68 and my cGPA is around the same. I have 275 hours of volunteer experience with a local children's centre where I assisted with speech therapy both at the centre and in schools. I've also worked with a children's program for 4 years assisting kids with disabilities at summer camp. As for the GRE, VR 157, QR 154, AW 4.5. Although my GPA and GRE scores are solid, they aren't anything really eye-catching so I really tried to make my personal statement stand out. Hoping that my nursing experience will add some value to my application as well. This year, I applied to Western, Mac, Dal, McGill and UofT. 

Just wanted to introduce myself, share some stats and see if anyone is in a similar position as me. I hope to hear of many acceptances in the coming months!

Hello my fellow speechies,

I am going through my application for U of A and since they revised their prerequisites I’m not sure if STATS 1000 was on the previous list?? I was going to use my PSYC 2260 because I know that for sure was on the previous list. But I would like to use my stats mark if possible. If anyone has this information I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Hello Everyone!
I have applied to UofT, Western and McMaster and I'm sooooo freaking nervous! I am in my last semester of my Early Childhood Studies degree with a minor in Psychology and I have a subGPA of 3.92. Although I feel like my GPA is competitive, I have heard that people in my program have a very difficult time getting into SLP. I'm wondering if anyone knows of anybody who has a similar background who got into the program? I could use some hope right about now lol!

I have over 500 hours volunteering with SLPs in a variety of settings (Hospital, laboratory, preschool, geriatric facility) and another 500+ hours volunteering with children and their families in hospitals, daycares and drop-in centres. 

I thought I would introduce myself to all of you and wish you all the best of luck. This is such a nerve-wracking process but we're all in it together!