2019 Canadian SLP Thread

20 hours ago, sugarplumspeechie said:

Hello! Does anyone know what the Facebook group for Dalhousie was called? I got accepted off the waitlist last Friday! 

dalhousie slp 2022

• 3 weeks later...

I am an international student, undergraduated in SLP from outside canada, my GPA is 2.17 out of 4!!!, I have 6 years experience working as SLP in Jordan & Saudi Arabia.

Which university could I look for MS study in SLP inside canada??

What can I do to increase my acceptance possibility?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all, I'm a Canadian about to start my third undergrad year at an American school and only recently realized I want to go into SLP... starting to think (and panic!) about grad school requirements, 3-year programs, ultra high American tuition etc, because I'm out-of-major (Linguistics). Doing the math, though, it looks like I can squeeze out the minimum prereqs for most programs (except UBC) in Canada with my Ling major if I fill my course roster with only those classes and my major reqs from now on. The problem is, it's really tight, like, almost all of these classes will only be taught once over the next couple years. What do you think—worth it to try and scrape the minimum requirements for these programs, though the plan would gives me no wiggle room to do poorly in any of the classes or shift things around if something went wrong (like, if two of the classes turn out to have a time conflict or something)? It seems like a no brainer to avoid paying for a third year of school, but I worry I'm gonna come up short with the reqs — or if not, I fear I probably still won't get in anywhere first try, so I'll have busted my ass in undergrad and still have to wait for a year to reapply when I could be doing a post-bac! Of course, on the other hand, I really don't want to pay 3 years of graduate tuition, especially here in the States. All kinda overwhelming to contemplate...  Thoughts? Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:09 AM, slpleaseletmeintoslp said:

I got into McMaster and Western!!! No response from Toronto but im so happy!!!

Hello @slpleaseletmeintoslp I will also be applying to Western and McMaster this year (2020) and would love to ask you some questions about the application process/interview/letter of intent! If you could please get back to me that would be great!

On 11/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, slpleaseletmeintoslp said:

Hi everyone!

I'll be applying this year to UofT, McMaster and Western University. I have a degree in Early Childhood Studies, but rumour has it that they prefer people with science/psychology backgrounds. Does anyone know if anyone with an early childhood background has gotten into the program before? 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hello! I would love to ask you some questions about the application process! I am applying Dec 2019 (soon) :)

On 11/28/2018 at 9:36 AM, maroo7 said:

Hi everyone! :)

I'm a linguistics student applying to Western, Dalhousie, Alberta and UBC! I have about 100 hours of SLP volunteering (all with children :/), 50 hours of volunteering with kids with developmental delays in a non-SLP environment, and over 200 hours of research experience in a psycholinguistics lab on my campus. From what I can tell, my sub-GPA works out to about a 3.91, and my GRE scores are pretty strong except for quant (math is the bane of my existence). SLP has been my longtime dream and honestly I've been lurking on these forums since the first year of my undergrad to motivate myself and see what kind of applicants get in! UBC is my dream school but I'm from out of province and I know they reserve the majority of seats for in-province students so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. Would anyone happen to know of any students who got into UBC who applied from outside the province? 

Good luck to everyone on your applications, it's nice to have a support system during this taxing process!!! 

Hey! I am applying to Western this year and would love to ask you some questions about the application process! DM me if you can :)

On 4/29/2019 at 12:40 PM, 19SPEECHIE said:

I just got my call from Western this morning offering me a spot for admission! 

To those of you still waitlisted, there is still hope!!! 

Hey @19SPEECHIE i am applying to Western this year and am supper nervous! I as just wondering if you could answer some questions for me about the application process and letter of intent! Please let me know :)

Hi Everyone,

I haven't seen a new SLP thread yet, but I just wanted to share with you what we are doing in the University of Alberta SLP program this month. This might be of interest to people looking to apply in our program:

We are hosting our annual OASIS Conference on Saturday, September 28th, and this year our theme is: "Communication Access: Building Bridges to Participation." In our keynote and breakout sessions, we have the intent of advocating for people with communication disorders, and bringing awareness of our field to other disciplines. Apart from our yearly session about the application process of getting in the Speech-Language Pathology program, we are holding a tour of the department to give prospective students a venue to ask questions, and get to know our department as well. We will have a poster and booth presentation area and are looking for both graduate and undergraduate student research presentations. This is a great opportunity to share your research and connect with others in communication sciences and rehabilitation medicine. If you would like to present, please contact oasisconf@ualberta.ca.  

For more details on the event, follow us on our Facebook page! We look forward to seeing you there.

OASIS Conference Poster.pdf

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, eselp said:

Hi everyone! I am currently in my first year of the UAlberta SLP program - if you have any questions, I am happy to try to answer them :) Best of luck to you all!

Hey! 

Would you be open to sharing your stats? I'm applying this year, and I'm unsure if I want to re-write the GRE, or even if my application is good enough! Any insight would be helpful at this point! 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am in my final year doing a double major in psychology and linguistics. I applied to McMaster and Uoft and my sub-gpa is 3.81. I had about 135 volunteer hours in total (of which around 50 were with a SLP and the rest were at organizations such related to ESL mentoring and working with kids who have autism). I also started a club at my school related to SLP and audiology. I'm super scared that this year might have a lot of people applying (especially those with higher GPAs and no volunteer experience since UofT waived the clinical requirement). If anyone got accepted into either McMaster or UofT last year for SLP, could you share your GPA and background info so I can get an idea of how competitive my application looks? Super scared :( Also, good luck to everyone who applied this year ❤️

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! 

I am applying this year and was wondering if anyone here could share a bit about their experience at the schools they went to? I applied to UofT, Western and McGill. I am interested in what you love about the program, don't like about the program, what made you choose the program that you did, placement experiences or anything else that you would wanna share! Thank you in advance and I hope everyone is staying safe! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone! just wanted some advice about what I should do. I just graduated from Linguistics and got refused from McMaster and McGill. Next year I’ll be applying to more Uni’s including UofT & Dalhousie. My gpa is 3.33 but my sub-gpa is 3.6. Does anyone know how I can improve my chances to get accepted? Do they look more at the gpa or subGPA? Also, note that I have over 500 hours of experience at an SLP clinic and autistic school. What more can I do to increase my chances? Do I retake courses, or is there something else I can do? Please help! Thanks in advance! :) 

• 8 months later...