HGSE 2019

civitas

LOL. I thought that seeing that invites are being sent would make me calmer but now it's worse. I swore this would bring me peace. I'm applying into CIS. I am trying to stay positive but I think I convinced myself I'd get an interview because of my "connections" (whatever that means). I know several students currently in the program at various stages and have a professional connection with both a current CIS student and an admissions officer in the past (not like they have any pull). Harvard honestly isn't even my top choice though so I'm just gonna calm down.

Edited by OperationPhDforMe

17 hours ago, OperationPhDforMe said:

LOL. I thought that seeing that invites are being sent would make me calmer but now it's worse. I swore this would bring me peace. I'm applying into CIS. I am trying to stay positive but I think I convinced myself I'd get an interview because of my "connections" (whatever that means). I know several students currently in the program at various stages and have a professional connection with both a current CIS student and an admissions officer in the past (not like they have any pull). Harvard honestly isn't even my top choice though so I'm just gonna calm down.

I've applied to the same program (don't know anybody there, but did email my POI and get a response last summer, not that it was a particularly forthcoming response, but it was nice enough). No interview here either. I'm feeling pretty pessimistic because 3 of my 5 programs have sent out interview invites and/or acceptances, and I haven't heard anything. 

53 minutes ago, 2019edhopeful said:

I've applied to the same program (don't know anybody there, but did email my POI and get a response last summer, not that it was a particularly forthcoming response, but it was nice enough). No interview here either. I'm feeling pretty pessimistic because 3 of my 5 programs have sent out interview invites and/or acceptances, and I haven't heard anything. 

I applied to EPPE and haven't heard anything, but it's nice that you heard back from your POI. I emailed mine at Harvard and never heard anything. It's one of the reasons that Harvard is not as high on my list as it could be. I emailed 4 schools (and applied to 4 schools) and Harvard is the only one where I never heard back from a professor. It really stood out to me. I applied anyway because the interdisciplinary aspect is intriguing to me.

If I hear something today great, if not I'll move on.

Hi everyone, 

I´m so glad that I´m not alone awaiting that interview email. I am applying to the Ph.D. in  Education Policy and Program Evaluation (EPPE). I saw that a few people posted about interview emails yesterday on the results forum but for the other two programs. Is anyone else applying to the EPPE program?

Best of luck.

Edited by jose_lr

1 hour ago, SPEDucator said:

I applied to EPPE and haven't heard anything, but it's nice that you heard back from your POI. I emailed mine at Harvard and never heard anything. It's one of the reasons that Harvard is not as high on my list as it could be. I emailed 4 schools (and applied to 4 schools) and Harvard is the only one where I never heard back from a professor. It really stood out to me. I applied anyway because the interdisciplinary aspect is intriguing to me.

If I hear something today great, if not I'll move on.

Just saw your post. I haven´t heard anything either, also applying to the EPPE program. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, Belle2019 said:

Hello,

Has anyone applied to the E.d.L.D program? Applications were due on December 15, 2018 and interviews are on February 21. 

I applied for the EDLD program. Nothing yet.

Regarding the HGSE financial aid application (if you’re applying for masters), when you activate the account using the ID and activation code from the email and then log in, are you able to click any link for the actual financial aid application? For me, it says that it will be available in early 2019, but there’s nothing to click. Just wondering if everyone else is getting the same thing.

12 minutes ago, LizKay said:

Regarding the HGSE financial aid application (if you’re applying for masters), when you activate the account using the ID and activation code from the email and then log in, are you able to click any link for the actual financial aid application? For me, it says that it will be available in early 2019, but there’s nothing to click. Just wondering if everyone else is getting the same thing.

Go to the Menu on the left top corner and you will see the option to complete your application ?

2 hours ago, GreenVea said:

I applied for the EDLD program. Nothing yet.

Hey,

I asked a friend that graduated from the masters program last year and I was informed that we will receive masters decisions the first week on March and E.d.L.D interviews notices will be sent out at the end of January. So we should find out in 10 days. Good luck. I believe my application is strong but I did not do so well on the GRE, so fingers crossed. 

26 minutes ago, LizKay said:

I applied for the Masters as well and completed the financial aid application. We will not find out until the first week of March. 

Just now, Belle2019 said:

Hey,

I asked a friend that graduated from the masters program last year and I was informed that we will receive masters decisions the first week on March and E.d.L.D interviews notices will be sent out at the end of January. So we should find out in 10 days. Good luck. I believe my application is strong but I did not do so well on the GRE, so fingers crossed. 

Good luck to you too. My GRE scores were trash but my SOP and Recs were pretty strong so Im hoping maybe..idk. im nervous

14 minutes ago, GreenVea said:

Good luck to you too. My GRE scores were trash but my SOP and Recs were pretty strong so Im hoping maybe..idk. im nervous

Hey! I also applied to the Ed.L.D. My GRE scores were pretty good, but I'm still pretty young for the program, so not too optimistic...

Good luck though! Not too long to wait, now! 

3 minutes ago, mems2019 said:

Hey! I also applied to the Ed.L.D. My GRE scores were pretty good, but I'm still pretty young for the program, so not too optimistic...

Good luck though! Not too long to wait, now! 

I dont think there is a such thing as too young lol

10 hours ago, Belle2019 said:

Age I don't think is an issue but they definitely are looking for leadership experience 

Are they? I think these forums prove it is a toss up really. No distinct thing they are searching for, just whatever "fits". Cohorts are different and that variability is what makes their choices hard to follow. Best of luck to you.

4 hours ago, GreenVea said:

Are they? I think these forums prove it is a toss up really. No distinct thing they are searching for, just whatever "fits". Cohorts are different and that variability is what makes their choices hard to follow. Best of luck to you.

Leadership was mentioned several times on the in person campus tours and the online virtual student sessions. In the last virtual session in October or November, a first year student and third year discussed leadership experience as well. But leadership doesn’t necessarily equate to leading an organization. I’ve heard that as well that all cohorts are different and it’s what fits but all schools have some type of rubric with specific characteristics or qualities they want from applicants. Fingers crossed! 

Just feeling the need to vent here as I am coming to terms with not hearing anything from Harvard. I've heard this in whispers and throughtout other forums on the internet but it seems like althought Harvard says..."masters degree not required" or "masters in ed field not required" they have a VERY CLEAR preference for people who 1. Not only have Masters in Ed but 2. Recieved them at Harvard. I looked at the past  4 years graduating cohorts of PhDs and on average about 90% of PhD students have an EdM from Harvard (many have at least two Masters.....)

All of this to say, I think getting rejected from Harvard (though it's not official yet) has really made me evaluate this whole process with new eyes. I find it quite disgusting that in order to really hedge your bets on gettting into Harvard, you first need to fork over 60k in tution for an accelerated Masters degree. I wonder how many students who complete EdM's there go on to be innundated with debt but have a "at least my degree says Harvard" sort of attitude about things and don't go on to pursue the PhD's...I attended the open house this fall and many potential students were already bitter towards the EdM to PhD pipeline as they felt it was apparent that the EdM program essentially funds the PhD students.

I did say I'd like to be considered for the EdM (to my detriment possibly) though I have no intentions of attending if I'm accepted that route. The more I dwell on it the more frustrated I become simply because of the background I have and the research interstests I have....only Harvard (and possibly Penn, Princeton, Columbia) can get away with denying people the opportunity to have a fully funded PhD experience and counteroffer with the opportunity to have a lesser degree and tens of thousands of dollars in debt and people willingly take it. 

Getting denied has truly been a blessing as it's allowed me to see this school with new perspective. Harvard was not my top choice and now I am excited about the prospect of attending a school that from the outside seems far more open-minded about who they select and why they select them.

For those that may think this is a post froma  bitter rejectee, I hold a Bachelors from an elite institution and a Masters from an Ivy League (though for what it's worth Ivy League is just the name of the athletic conference....) so the allure of Harvard was never there for me in that respect. While titles and schools do mean something, at the end of the day, I would be perfectly content attending a state school/small liberal arts school if the funding was there and the fit was better.

HGSE claims to be a a thought leader in education innovation and reform but at the end of the day they are still elitist pricks who sit levels above the lives they claim to try and impact....