HGSE 2019

civitas

1 hour ago, civitas said:

Wow. Where did you get this data?

The master handbook on HGSE’s website. If you want to take the optimistic approach, then we are pretty unique. Otherwise, one can argue that the program is not friendly towards entrepreneurs. No clear conclusion. The beauty of statistics. 

On 1/29/2019 at 7:32 AM, LearnGrowTeach said:

Yes!! ?
I agree with the earlier post that interview invitations will likely go out this Thursday and Friday.

Good luck, everyone!!

Ee I'm so nervous! I think the thing that makes this the most stressful for me is that they don't notify the people who aren't invited for an interview. It's almost like getting ghosted by Harvard after a bad first date. 

Got to say, I'm also a bit anxious awaiting these emails. A lot hanging in limbo waiting to find out if this will move on to the next stage or not. 

Any other international applicants for the EdLD here? I feel that is the biggest strike against me in that it's a pretty US-focused program. All of my stats (experience, scores etc.) would, I think, make me a strong candidate, but I wonder if being international is likely to rule me out of a program with such an emphasis on American practice. 

Anyways, good luck to everyone else in here anxiously waiting on hearing some good news! 

26 minutes ago, hobobonobo said:

Got to say, I'm also a bit anxious awaiting these emails. A lot hanging in limbo waiting to find out if this will move on to the next stage or not. 

Any other international applicants for the EdLD here? I feel that is the biggest strike against me in that it's a pretty US-focused program. All of my stats (experience, scores etc.) would, I think, make me a strong candidate, but I wonder if being international is likely to rule me out of a program with such an emphasis on American practice. 

Anyways, good luck to everyone else in here anxiously waiting on hearing some good news! 

Hi, I'm in a similar position- most of my work has been international, which does seem like it could count against us...who knows! Either way, we should find out soon! 

6 minutes ago, mems2019 said:

Hi, I'm in a similar position- most of my work has been international, which does seem like it could count against us...who knows! Either way, we should find out soon! 

Well, hopefully they give us both a chance and we end up meeting on-campus in February! I would be glad to connect with another person bringing international experience to the process :)

On 1/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, OperationPhDforMe said:

I looked at the past  4 years graduating cohorts of PhDs and on average about 90% of PhD students have an EdM from Harvard (many have at least two Masters.....) 

@OperationPhDforMe hi, this is a bit of a delayed response but just want to clear something up in case someone else reads your post. Most HGSE PhD graduates receive an EdM en route to their PhD, they dont come into the PhD program already earning their EdM. I have access to some inside data and the application tags HGSE EdM students/alumni in the process; in past years less than 15% of the applicant pool were either current HGSE students or alum (mostly alum) and like other applicants, they get cut throughout the decision process and some don't even pass the first review.

for reference, i am a current harvard student (not hgse) and a friend has ties to hgse faculty involved in admissions

6 hours ago, jmaroon said:

@OperationPhDforMe hi, this is a bit of a delayed response but just want to clear something up in case someone else reads your post. Most HGSE PhD graduates receive an EdM en route to their PhD, they dont come into the PhD program already earning their EdM. I have access to some inside data and the application tags HGSE EdM students/alumni in the process; in past years less than 15% of the applicant pool were either current HGSE students or alum (mostly alum) and like other applicants, they get cut throughout the decision process and some don't even pass the first review.

for reference, i am a current harvard student (not hgse) and a friend has ties to hgse faculty involved in admissions

This is an important post. Now as I'm thinking back to my time at HGSE, I can recall a few doctoral students explaining this, how they'd earned their master's degrees within the context of their doctoral work.