Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

9 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

I've applied for the UTSC Clinical Psych program (not OISE). I have not heard back. My status only changed to "Under Review" on January 17th. So I guess it's possible that they are still getting through all the applications, though, according to this site, one person was already invited to the in-person interview day. I imagine we will hear back this upcoming week for any interviews, at least if they are sticking to their declared timeline (in-person interviews the following week).

I wasn't aware that UofT was having a Psych MA recruitment weekend. Is it posted on the SGS website?

Great insight, thank you!

As for St George's Psych MA recruitment event... POI invited me (I was interviewed a few weeks ago). I think it's for shortlisted applicants? 

12 minutes ago, eggs.pdf said:

Great insight, thank you!

As for St George's Psych MA recruitment event... POI invited me (I was interviewed a few weeks ago). I think it's for shortlisted applicants? 

Oh ok. Did you apply to the OISE program or UTSC?

Just asking because I didn't think UTSC held events at St. George

Just now, s_bellow said:

Oh ok. Did you apply to the OISE program or UTSC?

Just asking because I didn't think UTSC held events at St. George

I applied to both UTSC and the MA program at St. George, but not to OISE. Sorry for the confusion!

2 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

Oh ok. There's a clinical MA program at St. George?

Nope - the only clinical psychology program at U of T is at UTSC.

St. George has a psychology program (not clinical) - irrelevant, but that's why I apologized for going OT because I can't seem to find anywhere else to ask about it and thought others may have tried to apply to both programs like I did ?

2 minutes ago, eggs.pdf said:

St. George has a psychology program (not clinical) - irrelevant, but that's why I apologized for going OT because I can't seem to find anywhere else to ask about it and thought others may have tried to apply to both programs like I did ?

Ohhh ok. Thanks for clarifying

@Clinicalpsyc12 @ClinPsyc19 @TrindStarr

Hey guys, thought you might want to know - I emailed my POI at uOttawa asking about a general timeline, and he advised that uOttawa is generally a bit later in the game (unfortunately for us). He said that profs aren't notified about which students applied to their labs until February, so we should expect news in February/March. Ughhh!

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlondie said:

Does anyone have advice/questions to ask for an interview with the students (one undergrad, one master's, one PhD and one postdoc) of my POI's lab?

Mitch's guide has great suggestions, scroll down to the interview section http://mitch.web.unc.edu/files/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf

13 minutes ago, Clinicalpsyc12 said:

@Piagets#1Fan thank-you for letting us know! I know that Ottawa is super competitive too! Do you think I still have a chance if i don't have any pubs?

@Piagets#1Fan thank you for the update! I emailed my POI too but they haven’t responded and it’s been over a week now... I’m wondering if I should follow-up? 

@Clinicalpsyc12 good luck! I applied to UOttawa last year with 2 publications and wasn’t even interviewed... but there a lot of factors that go into the application. I’m Anglophone and applied for the English stream. Out of the 3 people I listed, 1 was told they couldn’t accept even though they wanted me, and my second choice really wanted me but I didn’t list them as #1 so they didn’t even get to see my application. And I was told that the rank order is really important too

23 minutes ago, Clinicalpsyc12 said:

@Piagets#1Fan thank-you for letting us know! I know that Ottawa is super competitive too! Do you think I still have a chance if i don't have any pubs?

Telling you now, pubs aren't as important as connections/fit, and even then, a lot of stuff goes into assessing whether the pub is "meaningful" or not, including author order, impact factor, and a million other things. If I could've been able to get in on my pubs alone, I would've by now--but I havent (haha!). Don't stress that too much, lots of people get in without pubs. 

9 hours ago, Clinicalpsyc12 said:

I don't know if you have ranked yourself based on the uOttawa ranking grid; students rank I think up to 8 points and publications only count for a max of 2. Most important I would say (from experience talking with my POI, plus I was an undergraduate student there) is your GPA, as well as your selection and ranking of POI (and what they rank you). 

19 hours ago, eggs.pdf said:

U of T (OISE) has CCP (Counselling and Clinical) and SCCP (School and Child Clinical), so those are both Clinical Psychology programs.

But UTSC has the one that's just called 'Clinical Psychology.' :) 

Ryerson applicants who have yet to hear back after initial interviews: I just spoke to one of the graduate program administrators who told me that invites to the on-campus interviews will be sent out in the next couple of days, and the interview day will be Feb 11th. 

1 hour ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

I don't know if you have ranked yourself based on the uOttawa ranking grid; students rank I think up to 8 points and publications only count for a max of 2. Most important I would say (from experience talking with my POI, plus I was an undergraduate student there) is your GPA, as well as your selection and ranking of POI (and what they rank you). 

@Clinicalpsyc12 To add to this, I know a clinical student currently at UOttawa and they were accepted with 9 points on the ranking system. So to answer your question, having no publications won't necessarily hurt you unless you don't have enough points in other areas.

School: University of British Columbia at Okanagan (UBCO)

Type: PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 19th, 2018

Type of invite: Email invite to on-campus interview day

Interview date(s): February 15th

POI: PM me

Has anyone ever travelled far to their interview day? I live in Ontario and was hoping for just a Skype interview invite.

35 minutes ago, eotis said:

Ryerson applicants who have yet to hear back after initial interviews: I just spoke to one of the graduate program administrators who told me that invites to the on-campus interviews will be sent out in the next couple of days, and the interview day will be Feb 11th. 

Thanks for letting us know! Do you think our POIs would at least let us know if we do/don’t get invited? I haven’t heard back at all from mine and our interview was last week... wondering if I should follow up.

5 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Thanks for letting us know! Do you think our POIs would at least let us know if we do/don’t get invited? I haven’t heard back at all from mine and our interview was last week... wondering if I should follow up.

If they interviewed you, I'm sure they would let you know. The interview day isn't mandatory though and it's not critical for admission. Even if you do not get an invite to the open house, I wouldn't lose hope. That being said, I do hope you hear back soon :) 

1 minute ago, ventiamericano said:

Not sure; from my conversation it sounded like the graduate office would just send out a yes/no email to all applicants that had initial interviews, including what POI invited you if you do get an invite. The woman I spoke to went ahead and told me I had been invited and by who (and who not, as I had interviews with 2 POIs, one of whom didn't invite me). So if you're getting antsy about knowing just call the grad office and ask and I'm sure they'll tell you. (https://www.ryerson.ca/psychology/programs/graduate/clinical-psychology/ , Graduate Program phone # in bottom right corner).

36 minutes ago, lobstergirl said:

Has anyone ever travelled far to their interview day? I live in Ontario and was hoping for just a Skype interview invite.

I'm not traveling far for mine (~2 hour train), but this is a great sign! Congrats :) 

1 hour ago, lobstergirl said:

In my last application cycle, I travelled from Ontario down to Alabama and Texas for interviews. It was pretty fun to get to see the places where I had applied and to get a feel of what the program and students were like. I would also recommend that if you get accepted someplace, try to travel there before you commit to a program.