Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Long time lurker decided to finally make an account! You all seem like such a supportive bunch :)

I am confused about UTSC considering their webpage says in-person interviews are to be held next week... kind of last minute if they haven't sent out formal invitations yet? ALSO... after submitting my application I realized their campus is not CPA accredited.

13 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of someone being accepted to a program without an interview? i.e. no interview day

I haven't. I did, however, do a skype interview instead of an in-person one for a BC school, saved me $600+ in travel fees.

1 hour ago, Neurophilic said:

If they interviewed you, I'm sure they would let you know. The interview day isn't mandatory though and it's not critical for admission. Even if you do not get an invite to the open house, I wouldn't lose hope. That being said, I do hope you hear back soon :) 

My POI said in her first e-mail (and in the interview) that the first stage for interviews in her lab is a Skype call, with the open house being a second stage (so sounds like it may be mandatory for her). I'm just confused because she said she'd get back to me in a couple days, and she did, but with the info for her grad students for us to have a second call. Haven't heard since then so don't know what I should do, haha ?

1 hour ago, lobstergirl said:

School: University of British Columbia at Okanagan (UBCO)

Type: PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 19th, 2018

Type of invite: Email invite to on-campus interview day

Interview date(s): February 15th

POI: PM me

Has anyone ever travelled far to their interview day? I live in Ontario and was hoping for just a Skype interview invite.

Yayayay!!! Didn't apply to said program but super happy to hear UBCO is sending out interview invites!! Best of luck :) BC is gorgeous 

9 minutes ago, neocortical.coffee said:

Long time lurker decided to finally make an account! You all seem like such a supportive bunch :)

I am confused about UTSC considering their webpage says in-person interviews are to be held next week... kind of last minute if they haven't sent out formal invitations yet? ALSO... after submitting my application I realized their campus is not CPA accredited.

Yeah, interviews are super close. I checked past years on this thread and I know one person received about 6--7 days notice for the in-person interview days. Notably, the "deadline" for supporting docs on the SGS website moved from January 1st to January 8th; perhaps this means they are behind schedule. The chair of the department also seems to have changed quite recently which could explain the delay this year, but that's just a conjecture. I think they were being reviewed for accreditation this year.

Edited by s_bellow

42 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

In my last application cycle, I travelled from Ontario down to Alabama and Texas for interviews. It was pretty fun to get to see the places where I had applied and to get a feel of what the program and students were like. I would also recommend that if you get accepted someplace, try to travel there before you commit to a program. 

That's awesome!! I feel like I should have applied to some of the US schools just for the excuse to travel ? Thanks so much for the advice! It definitely seems that travelling to the on-campus interviews is really worth it.

@neocortical.coffee and @s_bellow Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the official interview invites for UTSC went out last week - the admissions committee met on Jan 14th to review all applicants after initial Skype interviews with POIs, then sent out official invites that evening. Still possible to receive an in-person after the official interview day though, you never know who will decline or drop out of the running!

1 minute ago, gillis_55 said:

@neocortical.coffee and @s_bellow Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think the official interview invites for UTSC went out last week - the admissions committee met on Jan 14th to review all applicants after initial Skype interviews with POIs, then sent out official invites that evening. Still possible to receive an in-person after the official interview day though, you never know who will decline or drop out of the running!

Oh ok. That's odd though... Looks like they only started reviewing my application on January 17th (changed to "Under Review")

11 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

Oh ok. That's odd though... Looks like they only started reviewing my application on January 17th (changed to "Under Review")

That is odd - in that case, don't listen to me! I'd suggest emailing or calling the grad secretary today to ask if they are still issuing invitations. 

2 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Still nothing on my end, and I haven't seen anything on the results page or forum either. I hope they start reaching out soon!

Me too! They seem to be late in the game.

23 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Still nothing on my end, and I haven't seen anything on the results page or forum either. I hope they start reaching out soon!

21 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Me too! They seem to be late in the game.

Same here!

My first time posting on here! I did preliminary interviews for Ryerson and Waterloo. My POI at Ryerson isn't having students for their interview day on February 11th as they aren't available at the time. To the person asking about Waterloo; my POI contacted me a full week after others seemed to be getting Skype invites on here, so they are definitely on their own timelines. I was invited back for a full interview at Waterloo; the in-person interviews seem to be held on an individual basis rather than on one day for all students. Hopefully that helps!

Edited by magnolias
correction

2 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

My POI said in her first e-mail (and in the interview) that the first stage for interviews in her lab is a Skype call, with the open house being a second stage (so sounds like it may be mandatory for her). I'm just confused because she said she'd get back to me in a couple days, and she did, but with the info for her grad students for us to have a second call. Haven't heard since then so don't know what I should do, haha ?

Don't know if this info is helpful, but I interviewed with two POIs at the same University and one said the open-house interview day was mandatory, while the other said she doesn't participate in it and would not be attending herself, however I am welcome to come to network with other labs etc.. :)

1 hour ago, s_bellow said:

I received an email last week Wednesday stating that my application had been received and is now under review.

They apologized for the delay, as the online portal deadline closed at midnight Jan 1st, when their website indicated the deadline to be midnight Jan 2nd. I think that mis-step set them back a bit, but who knows! 

1 minute ago, Psych_101 said:

I received an email last week Wednesday stating that my application had been received and is now under review.

They apologized for the delay, as the online portal deadline closed at midnight Jan 1st, when their website indicated the deadline to be midnight Jan 2nd. I think that mis-step set them back a bit, but who knows! 

Oh ok, thanks for sharing! So maybe they are indeed late in sending out invitations. I didn't get an email on the status change but then again my documents were in before January 1st. Was it a potential supervisor or the grad assistant that emailed you?

1 minute ago, s_bellow said:

Oh ok, thanks for sharing! So maybe they are indeed late in sending out invitations. I didn't get an email on the status change but then again my documents were in before January 1st. Was it a potential supervisor or the grad assistant that emailed you?

Grad Assistant! 

On 1/19/2019 at 1:53 PM, psychology_a said:

Thank you for this!

Do you know if invites to UBC have been sent out yet?

Yes from what I understand they have sent out invites and rejections however, if you haven't received a rejection, it could mean they may hold on to your application for a potential 2nd round of interviews...uncommon but it does happen!