Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

6 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Oh wow, so the final decision is up to the committee? Like the PI has absolutely no say in who gets an official offer...?

Oh snap, you're right. Usually the POI recommends the one person they want (unless they taking two so they recommend two) and FGS usually agrees (as long as min requirements are met). I'm surprised the committee decides WHO gets an offer of admission--its usually the POI's decision. Hmmm @Psych_101

1 hour ago, ventiamericano said:

Oh wow, so the final decision is up to the committee? Like the PI has absolutely no say in who gets an official offer...?

She said she fights for who she wants, but yes.. ultimately it is out of her hands once her final students are submitted to the committee. 

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

Oh snap, you're right. Usually the POI recommends the one person they want (unless they taking two so they recommend two) and FGS usually agrees (as long as min requirements are met). I'm surprised the committee decides WHO gets an offer of admission--its usually the POI's decision. Hmmm @Psych_101

She was saying it also depends on how many students were accepted into varying labs the previous year. Like if she took two last year and wants two this year, and a different lab didn't take any students last year and has two students they want, than there will have to be pull one way or the other, as they can't take all four students. 

Edited by Psych_101
Clarification: That is only at the Uni I interviewed at and the info I received. Could be different at differing Universities.

7 minutes ago, Psych_101 said:

She said she fights for who she wants, but yes.. ultimately it is out of her hands once her final students are submitted to the committee. 

Wow that's like another level of uncertainty I wasn't aware of! Regardless, sending you good vibes! ^.^ 

4 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Wow that's like another level of uncertainty I wasn't aware of! Regardless, sending you good vibes! ^.^ 

I know!!! AND I also think it takes a bit of pressure off because at a certain point we just have to accept that we have advocated and represented ourselves the best we possible could. Sometimes, especially with Clinical Psychology acceptance, these things are dependent on factors beyond our control.

LOL - obvi I have been rehearsing this to myself for weeks ? 

Thanks for the vibes they are much needed and same to you.

Hey everyone!

I wanted to let anyone know who applied to UBCO that all invitations have gone out for the interview day on Feb. 15th. If you have not received an email, that is an indication that you have not been invited. Some POI's send out rejection emails to applicants who have indicated them as a potential supervisors and some do not.

Also, just to clarify, this pertains to UBCO only, not UBCV.

Hope this helps anyone who feels like they've been left hanging!

Edited by psychedelicpsych

2 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

Damn that was a plot twist eh--thought it was all POI choice at Rye

9 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Damn that was a plot twist eh--thought it was all POI choice at Rye

This is like, the next-level curveball we didn't need during this already arduous and taxing process. Ugh

I didn't apply to Ryerson but had no idea thats how it worked for some schools. Weird. Still trying to wrap my head around this ahaha

1 minute ago, Leafway said:

Hello! I'm new to Gradcafe. I wonder how much time do you guys spend on preparing for your in-person interview?

Hey, I wouldn't measure it based on "time"--it should be based on how prepared you feel. There is no "secret" amount of time that one must prepare to nail that interview!

Personally, (1) I started by looking at my potential POI's research--really, really know their research. They will most definitely bring it up/potentially ask you which research stream you are most interested in. (2) Know the program. Download the psychology graduate handbook if there is one. Read it. Wow them if they start bringing up program specifics and you know them already--it makes you look well-informed and enthusiastic. (3) Know your application. This includes being able to talk about your specific experiences (be it research, mentoring, extracurriculars), and if you wrote a research proposal as part of your application, READ THE ARTICLES YOU CITED, they test you! (4) Know what questions you want to ask. (Check out the first couple posts of this thread--sample questions are posted). ALWAYS ask questions. 

Take a deep breath, and walk in. You got this. Show them what you've got :) 

Also check out this thread: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/114895-psychology-interview-debriefing/

17 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

This is like, the next-level curveball we didn't need during this already arduous and taxing process. Ugh

I didn't apply to Ryerson but had no idea thats how it worked for some schools. Weird. Still trying to wrap my head around this ahaha

I've heard of this at a few places, especially where theres priority sequence for who gets to take a student. I thought that would be the case for mostly committee-led schools, not Rye which is almost entirely POI choice.

57 minutes ago, higaisha said:

I've heard of this at a few places, especially where theres priority sequence for who gets to take a student. I thought that would be the case for mostly committee-led schools, not Rye which is almost entirely POI choice.

I think it’s because Ryerson has a lot of professors compared to some other departments. If they let the POIs give acceptances without any committee involvement, they might end up with 15-20 new clinical students when they can only accomodate ~8. 

Hey guys, I finally made an account after lurking on this thread and reading the previous two threads from 2017/2018 hahaha 

Finally wanted to contribute as I’m feeling hopeless.... this is my first year applying and I haven’t heard from any of my other schools except I received a rejection from SFU a couple weeks ago. Wasn’t my first choice but still stung and shed a few tears at my first rejection LOL :( 

I applied to SFU, UBCV, UBCO, OISE(SCCP), Mcgill(school psych), Guelph, Western, Ryerson.

I know it’s early but I have a gut feeling I’ll be facing rejections across the board this year.. any recommendations on how to strengthen my application for next year?  

2 hours ago, psychclinical12 said:

Hey guys, I finally made an account after lurking on this thread and reading the previous two threads from 2017/2018 hahaha 

Finally wanted to contribute as I’m feeling hopeless.... this is my first year applying and I haven’t heard from any of my other schools except I received a rejection from SFU a couple weeks ago. Wasn’t my first choice but still stung and shed a few tears at my first rejection LOL :( 

I applied to SFU, UBCV, UBCO, OISE(SCCP), Mcgill(school psych), Guelph, Western, Ryerson.

I know it’s early but I have a gut feeling I’ll be facing rejections across the board this year.. any recommendations on how to strengthen my application for next year?  

That's a lot of applications... are you Canadian? By the way, I have contacted Western's Psychology department and I was told they will be sending interview invitations in this next week.

4 minutes ago, Fabretti said:

That's a lot of applications... are you Canadian? By the way, I have contacted Western's Psychology department and I was told they will be sending interview invitations in this next week.

Yes I am Canadian! 

Ohh thanks for the heads up! Been refreshing my email so much the past two weeks lol 

2 hours ago, psychclinical12 said:

Yes I am Canadian! 

Ohh thanks for the heads up! Been refreshing my email so much the past two weeks lol 

I know how that feels... I just started developing depression symptoms LoL... for real :(

47 minutes ago, psychclinical12 said:

How to improve your application 

1. a high GPA

2. Publications and poster presentations- with how competitive it is now you basically need some form of published work that indicates you can be a productive researcher over and above an honours thesis project. Try to find a productive research mentor that is willing to let you work for them in order to do this for applications next year.

3. Clinical experience- depending on your field either volunteering at a distress hotline, working with individuals with developmental disabilities, an Alzheimer's association etc. A lot of the times, if you only currently have a Bachelor's degree you might have to take this position unpaid or move to an area that has some paid research positions with clinical experience.

4. Potentially think about getting a Master's in another related field (eg; MSc. in neuroscience, M.Ed or something). The credits will not transfer but this is another method to boost GPA and have a more competitive resume while proving you are capable of research in some form.

5. In my opinion, GREs do not matter much as long as you are at the typical average of the school but potentially retaking them if you did poorly.

6. You have to make sure your research interests/ past experience match with the POI you are applying to

2 hours ago, Clinpsyc01 said:

I think it’s because Ryerson has a lot of professors compared to some other departments. If they let the POIs give acceptances without any committee involvement, they might end up with 15-20 new clinical students when they can only accomodate ~8. 

Can't help but think it'd make more sense to set up a committee to determine who's admitting in advance and once thats figured, leaving it up to POI choice. York works like that. I wonder if problems would come up in deciding priority order in advance if someone doesn't find a student they'd like to admit or whatever. Logistics of admissions seem kind of fun (pretending to be on the other side LOLOL). 

43 minutes ago, neocortical.coffee said:

Should I tell my top pick school that they are my top pick when interviewing (they know I have interviewed elsewhere)? Is there any way that could potentially backfire?

Basically, you should convey to ANY school your interviewing with that they're "one of your top choices". If you don't communicate this, they might not consider you further/shortlist you.

Also, check out this thread: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/115262-say-youre-invited-to-an-interview-at-your-top-choice-school-whendo-you-convey-that-they-are-your-top-choice/

Edited by Mickey26
add link to thread

2 hours ago, higaisha said:

Can't help but think it'd make more sense to set up a committee to determine who's admitting in advance and once thats figured, leaving it up to POI choice. York works like that. I wonder if problems would come up in deciding priority order in advance if someone doesn't find a student they'd like to admit or whatever. Logistics of admissions seem kind of fun (pretending to be on the other side LOLOL). 

Hmmm... yeah so Dalhousie does what you've highlighted above ^^ New faculty members essentially get the cream of the crop, and whoever they choose is submitted to the FGS committee for approval (aka your basically accepted due to POI choice). I guess it'll just remain one of the mysteries of the universe! haha

Just gonna throw one more point here because the conversation went in this direction:

Selecting new tenure-tracked professors as your person of choice is great if you want to publish a lot and make yourself competitive for funding and future post-doc/ tenure tracked positions but it is absolutely horrible in the application stage/selection stage because those professors have the LEAST power in picking who they want. The department dictates it so much more and they can only hope (*fingers crossed) that they get the student they wanted. This was the case with BT at UViC for the last couple years and it was definitely attempted at SFU and UBC with new profs...there are also other political issues but that's an afterthought for now.

If you select tenured prof, more than likely, they have the majority say on who they want however, they are less likely to do a lot of publishing so that may hurt your funding and future career opportunities if you have a deep desire to be a prof etc. However, this can be avoided by doing research with a bunch of people during the program...which...GOOD LUCK as it is not easy given you are so freaking busy :)

This isn't to scare anyone, I just wanted to share what I have heard...THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE  :)

Good luck at interviews for those who have gotten them!

12 minutes ago, Sephix said:

Just gonna throw one more point here because the conversation went in this direction:

Selecting new tenure-tracked professors as your person of choice is great if you want to publish a lot and make yourself competitive for funding and future post-doc/ tenure tracked positions but it is absolutely horrible in the application stage/selection stage because those professors have the LEAST power in picking who they want. The department dictates it so much more and they can only hope (*fingers crossed) that they get the student they wanted. This was the case with BT at UViC for the last couple years and it was definitely attempted at SFU and UBC with new profs...there are also other political issues but that's an afterthought for now.

If you select tenured prof, more than likely, they have the majority say on who they want however, they are less likely to do a lot of publishing so that may hurt your funding and future career opportunities if you have a deep desire to be a prof etc. However, this can be avoided by doing research with a bunch of people during the program...which...GOOD LUCK as it is not easy given you are so freaking busy :)

This isn't to scare anyone, I just wanted to share what I have heard...THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE  :)

Good luck at interviews for those who have gotten them!

Yup, that's exactly what I did for Dal, and that's how I got early admission there before Christmas. I second that and now tell all my future clinical psych hopefuls this valuable piece of advice. I was lucky as Dal gave my POI all the choice! :) It is idiosyncratic with every school/department however.

Guys, I feel that it doesn’t make sense to have such ridiculously tiny admissions quotas for clinical psych. It’s not a niche domain, there is a strong need for psychologists in Canada, there is a foreseen labour shortage for psychologists in the next 10 years, so what’s the deal? I come from Europe and in most countries, basically if you want to be a psychologist, it’s not that tough to get in, so I was very surprised to see how different things are in North America. Can you guys explain why this situation here?