Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

12 minutes ago, ZingyNeuron said:

Guys, I feel that it doesn’t make sense to have such ridiculously tiny admissions quotas for clinical psych. It’s not a niche domain, there is a strong need for psychologists in Canada, there is a foreseen labour shortage for psychologists in the next 10 years, so what’s the deal? I come from Europe and in most countries, basically if you want to be a psychologist, it’s not that tough to get in, so I was very surprised to see how different things are in North America. Can you guys explain why this situation here? 

I think the main issue, similar to why there are a certain number of spots for med school, is due to the lack of internship placements available. Rather unfortunate. 

18 hours ago, ZingyNeuron said:

Guys, I feel that it doesn’t make sense to have such ridiculously tiny admissions quotas for clinical psych. It’s not a niche domain, there is a strong need for psychologists in Canada, there is a foreseen labour shortage for psychologists in the next 10 years, so what’s the deal? I come from Europe and in most countries, basically if you want to be a psychologist, it’s not that tough to get in, so I was very surprised to see how different things are in North America. Can you guys explain why this situation here? 

From what I've understood, the training is very expensive for departments and there's less and less funding being provided by universities and governments for it. At least that's the situation in my program right now. There's also a big push to have a lot of psychologist positions filled by Master's level clinicians and social workers because in the long run, they're cheaper than PhD level practitioners. 

17 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

Has anyone done an in-person interview and met with the clinical program coordinator? Can you provide some insight on what to expect? 

Yes, I would like to know as well. I have an on-site interview soon! There will be group meetings and intvs. Anyone has any insight about group interviews?

1 minute ago, Leafway said:

Yes, I would like to know as well. I have an on-site interview soon! There will be group meetings and intvs. Anyone has any insight about group interviews?

This is a separate thread that has a lot of good information about interviews in general, including the group interview process. Good luck to you!

19 hours ago, ZingyNeuron said:

On top of costs, there’s also the issue of supervisor availability at external sites (e.g. hospitals, clinics, etc.). Programs need to make sure that their students can find practicum placements where they’ll get good training and supervision. Supervising grad students is a huge time commitment that doesn’t provide much benefit to the supervisor, so it can be hard to find enough suitable placements for students. With larger cohorts, it would probably be impossible and result in poorer training.

2 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

From what I've understood, the training is very expensive for departments and there's less and less funding being provided by universities and governments for it. At least that's the situation in my program right now. There's also a big push to have a lot of psychologist positions filled by Master's level clinicians and social workers because in the long run, they're cheaper than PhD level practitioners. 

Is this the case for Canada too? I knew that there was a US trend pushing for social workers/ master's level clinicians  to take over PhD tasks, however, is it the same for Canada? Are social workers trained sufficiently to perform these clinical duties?

Edited by SoundofSilence

5 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

On the positive side for psychologists, I know that a lot of benefit plans/ insurance companies will only cover therapy if the practitioner has a PhD

The politics of being a practising mental health professional in Canada warrant a whole other thread--really interesting stuff. There is a new board that oversees licensing of "psychotherapists" in Ontario, and there's a lot of buzz about that because basically anyone can do therapy now. I know I've had profs discourage us from seeking a Clinical Psych PhD if their interest is solely in private practise. There are much shorter ways to be able to """"help people"""" and do psychotherapy without all that unnecessary schooling. 

I don't know much about this topic, but I'd love to know more about what its like being a practising clinical psychologist in 2019, because I hear its a bit up in the air. My interest is almost entirely research so I guess I'm kind of spared? LOL

12 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Woot Interview #3!

School: University of Regina

Type: MA/PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 28th, 2019

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype

Interview date(s): In 2 days LOL

Congrats again Mickey! 

Has anyone else heard from U of R? I've been refreshing my Inbox so much I think it will soon break ?

Also, any other news from York? Ahh this time of the year is making me so antsy ?

4 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Congrats again Mickey! 

Has anyone else heard from U of R? I've been refreshing my Inbox so much I think it will soon break ?

Also, any other news from York? Ahh this time of the year is making me so antsy ?

No news for me from York yet ??‍♀️

55 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

No news for me from York yet ??‍♀️

32 minutes ago, neocortical.coffee said:

Also no news from York yet

54 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

I see. Thank you! The wait continues ?

Same here. No news from York... which I had seen another person had heard from so I started presuming rejection, but maybe not considering three of us haven't heard anything yet?! Aieeeee

3 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Same here. No news from York... which I had seen another person had heard from so I started presuming rejection, but maybe not considering three of us haven't heard anything yet?! Aieeeee

I PM-ed Magnolias to check if we have the same POI at York, but I guess he or she is busy preparing for interview, which I don't blame them at all :) 

But yeah, I also assumed rejection since the Open House will be mid February (according to several sources). We'll just wait a bit more and see. 

7 minutes ago, NeuropsychologyNerd said:

Just a heads up that UWindsor profs are meeting today with their ranked list of students. If you've had an interview you should hear about final acceptances or wait lists in the next couple of weeks!

my POIs mentioned that to me as well, best of luck and hope to see you at the open house in March!  :) 

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

I wouldn't presume rejection yet! There are people who have been accepted without being invited to the interview day :).

9 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

I wouldn't presume rejection yet! There are people who have been accepted without being invited to the interview day :).

You're right, I shouldn't! I'm just being pessimistic to temper my hopes haha!