Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

20 minutes ago, gillis_55 said:

Anyone else witnessing the vicious fight breaking out on the results page under the clinical search filter? Jeeeeeeze getting heated there! The things people say when they’re anonymous...

anonymity + a forum explicitly dedicated to people posting their academic achievement + ability to comment on other's/own achievement = exactly what you'd expect. Thought the clinical section would be slightly more civil/compassionate though...

2 hours ago, gillis_55 said:

Anyone else witnessing the vicious fight breaking out on the results page under the clinical search filter? Jeeeeeeze getting heated there! The things people say when they’re anonymous...

I haven't...but I think it's worth acknowledging the fact that this particular thread has been extremely supportive and no one's out here trying to out-do one another ... let's keep it this way! Love you all

2 minutes ago, Willy36 said:

I haven't...but I think it's worth acknowledging the fact that this particular thread has been extremely supportive and no one's out here trying to out-do one another ... let's keep it this way! Love you all

Agreed! This thread has been so supportive and that’s what I’ve witnessed on interview days as well. It was such a pleasant surprise that all of the applicants were so warm and welcoming despite the pressures we’re all under! Initially I was worried it would feel tense or super competitive, but that hasn’t been my experience at all. 

I just check the thread. It's just very sad to see. Even though I haven't been a constant poster like some of you lovely people have, I've really enjoyed following this thread; it has really kept me afloat. It's such a stressful time and this is such a big dream for everyone who applied. I'm very disappointed that someone would actively be so cruel. Hopefully they're not that spiteful in real life. 

Anyways, very proud of everyone on this thread for not only being civil but supportive as well! Awesome stuff guys, you'll make the profession proud in years to come ❤️ 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:35 PM, ClinPsyc19 said:

I got invited for an interview with one of my POIs this week at UOttawa! So I think invites are slowly starting :)

Congrats!! Could anyone who's been interviewed at Ottawa send me their POI's initials? I am still waiting for an email but I was pretty confident going in, I had an interview back in the fall and mine told me I was in his "top four" so I guess things can always change! 

20 hours ago, Cynosura said:

Any news from Queens U, particularly MC or SvA?

I applied to Queens and a lot of other programs for clinical but I'm thinking my application wasn't strong enough for clinical because I've already been rejected by a few but some schools were interested in my application and contacted asking if I was interested in pursuing an experimental program. I received an unofficial acceptance from Queens (non-clincial program) about a week ago and I'm still waiting to hear from UOttawa for clinical and was interviewed by a bunch of other places for consideration for nonclincial programs. Don't know how the timing for interviews and acceptance works differently for experimental or non-clincial programs.

Hey everyone, 

I'm super new to this forum but have been checking it periodically. I'm eagerly waiting to hear back from Ryerson and Waterloo. My prospective POI's from both schools said I should've heard back by yesterday. I saw on the results/decisions page that two people got into Ryerson and one person got into Waterloo. If any of those people are on this forum, congratulations for one. And also would you mind privately messaging me your POI's? I would really appreciate it!

Also has anyone heard anything back from OISE for the Clinical and Counselling Psyc program or for the Counselling and Psychotherapy program? My application still says 'Under Review' and haven't been contacted for interview or anything. Does anyone know when final decisions will be made by?

Thanks so much!

Edited by gradlady

14 minutes ago, gradlady said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm super new to this forum but have been checking it periodically. I'm eagerly waiting to hear back from Ryerson and Waterloo. My prospective POI's from both schools said I should've heard back by yesterday. I saw on the results/decisions page that two people got into Ryerson and one person got into Waterloo. If any of those people are on this forum, congratulations for one. And also would you mind privately messaging me your POI's? I would really appreciate it!

Also has anyone heard anything back from OISE for the Clinical and Counselling Psyc program or for the Counselling and Psychotherapy program? My application still says 'Under Review' and haven't been contacted for interview or anything. Does anyone know when final decisions will be made by?

Thanks so much!

Welcome! I hope you hear back soon from Ryerson and Waterloo. I did not apply to either, so I cannot speak to those programs, but I did apply to OISE. From what I know, they have (mostly) wrapped up interviewing students they are interested in and will be extending offers soon. Not to say that you won't hear back if you haven't been interviewed yet, but I know that is the case for at least one PI. Hope that helps!

I am hoping someone can provide insight into something I am strongly weighting when it comes to making a decision... the Vanier. One of my POIs said I would not be eligible for this award if I stay at my undergrad alma mater to do my Master's/PhD. Is this actually the case, or is it just that committees at individual institutions don't often nominate students who did their undergraduate there but that it's possible??

10 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Welcome! I hope you hear back soon from Ryerson and Waterloo. I did not apply to either, so I cannot speak to those programs, but I did apply to OISE. From what I know, they have (mostly) wrapped up interviewing students they are interested in and will be extending offers soon. Not to say that you won't hear back if you haven't been interviewed yet, but I know that is the case for at least one PI. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the welcome :)  and thanks for the info. I'm sad to hear that about OISE but that's kinda what I assumed. Can you let me know what PI you're referring to? 

24 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

I am hoping someone can provide insight into something I am strongly weighting when it comes to making a decision... the Vanier. One of my POIs said I would not be eligible for this award if I stay at my undergrad alma mater to do my Master's/PhD. Is this actually the case, or is it just that committees at individual institutions don't often nominate students who did their undergraduate there but that it's possible??

I have never heard of that. I am also accepted to my undergraduate institution but no one mentioned that and I also did not see it on the webpage for the scholarship. I will ask around to some faculty and let you know if I hear anything about it!

1 hour ago, neocortical.coffee said:

I have never heard of that. I am also accepted to my undergraduate institution but no one mentioned that and I also did not see it on the webpage for the scholarship. I will ask around to some faculty and let you know if I hear anything about it!

Yeah, I had searched around to see if there was anything that stated that explicitly but couldn’t find anything. Please do let me know if you hear anything!

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

Adjudication criteria weighs the type of institutions you've gone to--I don't remember the official criteria but a breadth of experiences is likely what they're looking for. I don't think it matters, the odds of getting Vanier are fairly low and from what I hear, also pretty random, so I don't get why that would weigh so much in your decision.

Edited by higaisha

29 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Adjudication criteria weighs the type of institutions you've gone to--I don't remember the official criteria but a breadth of experiences is likely what they're looking for. I don't think it matters, the odds of getting Vanier are fairly low and from what I hear, also pretty random, so I don't get why that would weigh so much in your decision.

Hmm maybe that is what the faculty member that I spoke with was referring to when she told me I was not eligible. I don't think it's all that random though. From those I know of who secured the Vanier, they set themselves up for it pretty strategically during their Master's in terms of leadership and research productivity. I mean, it may not be something that would weigh in to your decision, but is something I personally was/am keen to at least try for. It's $150k...

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

Hmm maybe that is what the faculty member that I spoke with was referring to when she told me I was not eligible. I don't think it's all that random though. From those I know of who secured the Vanier, they set themselves up for it pretty strategically during their Master's in terms of leadership and research productivity. I mean, it may not be something that would weigh in to your decision, but is something I personally was/am keen to at least try for. It's $150k...

There are a lot of variables that go into adjudicating Vanier, but I think its more unclear (especially because its so uncommon to get it) than just plain ol' doctoral awards. Sure there's strategy to it, strategy alone wont make ur application. I am also thinking about being competitive for fancy external funding, and I would certainly love to get the award but it's not an overwhelming factor in choosing where I'll apply. I would put more emphasis on the supervisor's ability to get their students external funding and the agency they're getting funded from (i.e., if you want CIHR awards, it best to work with someone who's getting CIHR).

Hey ya'll. Can anyone let me know how they're dealing with the waiting game? I was supposed to hear back from 2 schools about offers yesterday and haven't heard anything back. Now, I can't even enjoy my long weekend bc I can't stop thinking about it. Any good ideas about how to disconnect from it all?

Ahhh!! Just got my first (and probably only) acceptance!! Can't believe everything I've worked so hard for has finally paid off. I accepted pretty much immediately, LOL.

School: Ryerson University

Concentration: Clinical Psychology

Type: MA

Date of acceptance: Feb 16 (formal acceptance with letter)

Notified by: Personal e-mail from Chair of Clinical asking for a call, then accepted over the call

25 minutes ago, gradlady said:

Hey ya'll. Can anyone let me know how they're dealing with the waiting game? I was supposed to hear back from 2 schools about offers yesterday and haven't heard anything back. Now, I can't even enjoy my long weekend bc I can't stop thinking about it. Any good ideas about how to disconnect from it all?

I've been creating a plan of sorts for if I don't get into a program; what I'll do should that happen. That's reduced my anxiety a bit, but I think it's fairly normal for the applications to be on your mind. Also distract myself by doing things I enjoy more often.

20 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Ahhh!! Just got my first (and probably only) acceptance!! Can't believe everything I've worked so hard for has finally paid off. I accepted pretty much immediately, LOL.

Notified by: Personal e-mail from Chair of Clinical asking for a call, then accepted over the call

Hey there. I've been waiting to hear back from Ryerson. They were supposed to let me know yesterday. Would you mind private messaging me your supervisor? Also, congratulations!! You should be so proud :) 

15 minutes ago, s_bellow said:

I've been creating a plan of sorts for if I don't get into a program; what I'll do should that happen. That's reduced my anxiety a bit, but I think it's fairly normal for the applications to be on your mind. Also distract myself by doing things I enjoy more often.

Thanks for your input :) it's so nice to be able to confide in people going through the same thing. Most of my friends aren't applying this year 

2 minutes ago, gradlady said:

Thanks for your input :) it's so nice to be able to confide in people going through the same thing. Most of my friends aren't applying this year 

In the same boat! Don't personally know anybody in/pursuing clinical psychology. I would definitely recommend exercising to distract yourself. Physiological benefits aside, I've found it hard to be distracted by grad apps when running on a treadmill or lifting weights.

1 hour ago, gradlady said:

Same as someone else said, I’ve been setting up a contingency plan just in case I don’t get in. Job interviews related to clinical , reaching out to be an RA, etc. It helps you keep your mind off it and you can think “I might not get in this year, but my app will be awesome next year..”! Hopefully that helps you too ?

Edited by fingerscrossed!

1 hour ago, ventiamericano said:

I KNEW YOUD GET IT!!!