Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

Hello everyone! This is somewhat unrelated but I was wondering if there is anyone here that has applied to clinical psych programs more than once. From your personal experience, or maybe from stories you've heard from friends, etc., is this super common? I finished my undergrad this past June and I feel a lot of pressure to start grad school as soon as possible. Are there any of you that have been out of undergrad for a couple of years and are now applying? I'd love to hear your experiences (feel free to PM if you don't want to share publicly!) 

4 minutes ago, Psychology_101_ said:

Hello everyone! This is somewhat unrelated but I was wondering if there is anyone here that has applied to clinical psych programs more than once. From your personal experience, or maybe from stories you've heard from friends, etc., is this super common? I finished my undergrad this past June and I feel a lot of pressure to start grad school as soon as possible. Are there any of you that have been out of undergrad for a couple of years and are now applying? I'd love to hear your experiences (feel free to PM if you don't want to share publicly!) 

I took a year off and know a few people who are taking 2+ years off. This is my first time applying though, so keep that in mind. I think a lot of students feel pressure to apply right away but I actually think taking some time off is to your benefit, especially if you’re feeling a little burnt out from your undergrad. The only scenario where it is not beneficial is if you don’t work on strengthening your CV in the time you take off. The application process itself can be a lot of work and stressful, so giving yourself time to prepare everything is not a bad thing. Give this article a read, it definitely put me at ease with taking time off: https://cpa.ca/cpasite/UserFiles/Documents/students/Psynopsis32(2)ii.pdf

My second Ryerson interview! This time with a POI I applied to work with :)

School: Ryerson University

Type: MA/PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 10th, 2018

Type of invite: Email for Skype interview

Interview date(s): Tomorrow evening

POI: PM me :) 

6 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

My second Ryerson interview! This time with a POI I applied to work with :)

Type of invite: Email for Skype interview

Interview date(s): Tomorrow evening

POI: PM me :) 

Wooot, you're on a rollll :D best of luck! 

Second interview request from different POI !!! EEEKK! 

Type of invite: Email for in person interview

Interview date(s): Week of Jan 15th 

3 hours ago, Psychology_101_ said:

With the way clinical is going, taking a year off and doing a research/coordinator position is a much smarter idea than applying out of undergrad if you want to be as competitive as possible, especially if you don't have like 2+ years of research exp in undergrad.

Second Ryerson interview, POI skipped Skype and invited me for the formal interview.

Date of Invite: Jan 9th, 2018

Type of invite: Open house(?)/lab interview

Interview date(s): Early Feb

Don't PM about this POI, I'm still working out the deets of what the IRL interviews/open house are like so I don't want to give any incorrect info until I find out for sure, just wanted to give my fellow applicants a heads up. 

1 minute ago, NeuropsychologyNerd said:

Hey everyone,

I applied to Clinical this year and haven't heard back yet from any schools.. I applied to McGill, UVic, UBC, UCalgary, UWO, and UWindsor. I am currently in my second year in a master's of Neuroscience and I was wondering if many other people were applying with a master's?

Best of luck!

Hey, I am still doing my undergrad, so different boat than you. I applied to UCalgary, and have been informed that Skype/phone interviews have concluded and POIs ranked applicants. Top 2 or so from each POI has been invited to an Open House in early-Feb. After the Open House, offers of admission will be made.

I hope that helps! Best of luck and don't lose hope :)

Has anyone applied to the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) Clinical Psychology program? The one in the Clinical Psychology Field, not the one through OISE. Just curious if anyone has been invited for an interview. 

2 hours ago, NeuropsychologyNerd said:

Hey everyone,

I applied to Clinical this year and haven't heard back yet from any schools.. I applied to McGill, UVic, UBC, UCalgary, UWO, and UWindsor. I am currently in my second year in a master's of Neuroscience and I was wondering if many other people were applying with a master's?

Best of luck!

I am currently doing my MA at McGill and I applied to McGill for PhD programs in clinical and counselling psychology!

12 hours ago, NeuropsychologyNerd said:

Hey everyone,

Best of luck!

Hello everyone,

First of all congratulations for the interview invites! It sounds so exciting.

NeuropsychologyNerd - I also applied to UVic and noticed on the Results page that some people are already receiving interview invites. I have not received anything. 

Oh and I am also applying with a master's. I applied to only 4 universities (due to multiple circumstances) and I am starting to get a little jittery after seeing that :(

Best of luck!

Edited by SoundofSilence

On 1/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, NeuropsychologyNerd said:

Oh cool! Have you heard back from McGill yet? I applied to the master's program since my current master's won't transfer over any credits or anything. 

Not yet, I think they are a little slower and they also don't accept many people so the data on when McGill acceptances tend to go out is scarce lol. Which MA did you apply to?

School: Simon Fraser University

Date of Invite: Jan 11th, 2018

Type of invite: Email invitation to either a Skype or in-person interview!

Interview date(s): In person: Feb. 1. 

POI: PM me

First Canadian invite! (And only, as I only applied to one Canadian school). Not super surprised due to my ties with the program (two of my reference letter writers are also on the admissions committee), but excited nonetheless! :)

Me too!

School: Simon Fraser University

Date of Invite: Jan 11th, 2018

Type of invite: Email invitation to either a Skype or in-person interview!

Interview date(s): In person: Feb. 1. or Skype

POI: PM me

Edited by chopper.wife

1 hour ago, chopper.wife said:

Do you guys think forking out the money to attend an in-person interview is better than Skyping in? I know they say they don't give preference to in-person interviewees, but.... I feel like they do haha

I don't think it matters.. if it's your first choice and you don't mind to spend the money, there's no harm. Flying within Canada can be pretty pricey though :( 

2 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

I don't think it matters.. if it's your first choice and you don't mind to spend the money, there's no harm. Flying within Canada can be pretty pricey though :( 

Yes agreed, I think I also want to go to see the campus/city since I’d be living there for a good chunk of time!!

Just now, chopper.wife said:

Yes agreed, I think I also want to go to see the campus/city since I’d be living there for a good chunk of time!!

Then go for it! :) i don't think you'd regret the travel, that's for sure! 

Do you guys think forking out the money to attend an in-person interview is better than Skyping in? I know they say they don't give preference to in-person interviewees, but.... I feel like they do haha

17 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

That's a fair point! Check out the budget airlines (Flair Air??). Although I still find budget airlines in Canada are kinda unreliable sometimes, as they do go on strike and such. Keep that in mind haha :) 

If you do decide to go, see you there! I will be attending, but I live in BC myself, so it's a little easier for me.