Jump to content
FallGO

Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, vygotskyisgod said:

 

Thanks for your replies! But yikes, my original proposal was on a study examining lie-telling and moral contagion. Since I ended up going with a different supervisor, I'll be studying something totally different (association between comorbidity and suicide). In my interview with my new supervisor, she did say that this shouldn't be a problem and that in the case that I do get in with her, I'd just have to send something in notifying them of my changes. I guess I should probably ask her what to do about this now. 

As long as your new research still falls under SSHRC’s mandate, you’re fine. I don’t think you even need to notify SSHRC. There’s no expectation that you’ll complete your proposed study since they know you likely applied to many schools. I know someone who wrote their SSHRC proposal on adult relationships but their MA thesis is on cognitive development and they haven’t had any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vygotskyisgod said:

 

Thanks for your replies! But yikes, my original proposal was on a study examining lie-telling and moral contagion. Since I ended up going with a different supervisor, I'll be studying something totally different (association between comorbidity and suicide). In my interview with my new supervisor, she did say that this shouldn't be a problem and that in the case that I do get in with her, I'd just have to send something in notifying them of my changes. I guess I should probably ask her what to do about this now. 

Unrelated but your supervisor's stuff sounds super cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all - long-time lurker here.  I know this is super late in the game but I'm hoping that I could give some people (future applicants) peace of mind. After being initially rejected and waitlisted, I've landed two acceptances!

Acceptance 1

School: University of Toronto (OISE)
Concentration: School and Clinical Child Psychology (SCCP)
Type: MA
Date of acceptance: March 29, 2019
Notified by: Email from both SGS that my status had changed on March 27, 2019, which included an official offer letter and funding; Also was notified by my POI via email the same day
Note: Was initially rejected

Acceptance 2

School: Queen's University
Concentration: Clinical Psychology 
Type: MSc
Date of acceptance: Unofficially March 29, 2019; Officially April 2, 2019
Notified by: Call from POI on March 29, 2019, and received official offer letter from SGS April 2, 2019
Note: Was originally waitlisted; Secured SSHRC funding

In a bit of a dilemma when it comes to choosing between these two programs, as there is a great research fit at both and I get along well with both POIs. POIs are very similar in many regards. Location is something that is impacting my decision as I currently live in the GTA. I feel bad holding onto a decision longer than I need to but I'm seriously struggling. Any thoughts?

Edited by selflovewarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, selflovewarrior said:

Hi all - long-time lurker here.  I know this is super late in the game but I'm hoping that I could give some people (future applicants) peace of mind. After being initially rejected and waitlisted, I've landed two acceptances!

Acceptance 1

School: University of Toronto (OISE)
Concentration: School and Clinical Child Psychology (SCCP)
Type: MA
Date of acceptance: March 29, 2019
Notified by: Email from both SGS that my status had changed on March 27, 2019, which included an official offer letter and funding; Also was notified by my POI via email the same day
Note: Was initially rejected

Acceptance 2

School: Queen's University
Concentration: Clinical Psychology 
Type: MSc
Date of acceptance: Unofficially March 29, 2019; Officially April 2, 2019
Notified by: Call from POI on March 29, 2019, and received official offer letter from SGS April 2, 2019
Note: Was originally waitlisted; Secured SSHRC funding

In a bit of a dilemma when it comes to choosing between these two programs, as there is a great research fit at both and I get along well with both POIs. POIs are very similar in many regards. Location is something that is impacting my decision as I currently live in the GTA. I feel bad holding onto a decision longer than I need to but I'm seriously struggling. Any thoughts?

Congratulations your offers, AND a CGS-M to boot. I wonder though, when were you rejected, and were you offered an interview? What form of rejection was it (SGS status, or informal POI email?) Thanks and best of luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, selflovewarrior said:

Hi all - long-time lurker here.  I know this is super late in the game but I'm hoping that I could give some people (future applicants) peace of mind. After being initially rejected and waitlisted, I've landed two acceptances!

Acceptance 1

School: University of Toronto (OISE)
Concentration: School and Clinical Child Psychology (SCCP)
Type: MA
Date of acceptance: March 29, 2019
Notified by: Email from both SGS that my status had changed on March 27, 2019, which included an official offer letter and funding; Also was notified by my POI via email the same day
Note: Was initially rejected

Acceptance 2

School: Queen's University
Concentration: Clinical Psychology 
Type: MSc
Date of acceptance: Unofficially March 29, 2019; Officially April 2, 2019
Notified by: Call from POI on March 29, 2019, and received official offer letter from SGS April 2, 2019
Note: Was originally waitlisted; Secured SSHRC funding

In a bit of a dilemma when it comes to choosing between these two programs, as there is a great research fit at both and I get along well with both POIs. POIs are very similar in many regards. Location is something that is impacting my decision as I currently live in the GTA. I feel bad holding onto a decision longer than I need to but I'm seriously struggling. Any thoughts?

Sorry I totally meant to include a reply to your dilemma, but it sounds like almost everything is held equal, such as your relationship with the POIs, your research interest at either school. I've gone through a MA already, and I've been screwed over by lack of care and attention from my ex-POI, which ultimately ended in what I call a 'divorce'. If you get a chance, I'd ask the grad students about their experiences, and trust me, if there were any red flags they wouldn't hesitate to tell you. If both supervisors are equally as appealing, then I'd say pick the choice that makes most sense geographically for you, since you mentioned that location is quite key. Hope this is helpful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so desperate to receive my rejection from a university that I interviewed at. I tried to ask about my position on the waitlist from the grad admin, but she told me that the decisions have not been finalized and will let me know when she has more information. 

Is it bad form to contact my POI to ask about my position on the waitlist/likelihood of getting in? I can't stand this silence any longer. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, no luck getting off the uOttawa wait list this year. All the spots have been filled (portal was changed to refused).

Also, received a rejection letter from the NSERC PGSD competition. It came via snail mail and not email...

Best of luck to everyone still waiting for scholarships or program offers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lobstergirl said:

I'm so desperate to receive my rejection from a university that I interviewed at. I tried to ask about my position on the waitlist from the grad admin, but she told me that the decisions have not been finalized and will let me know when she has more information. 

Is it bad form to contact my POI to ask about my position on the waitlist/likelihood of getting in? I can't stand this silence any longer. :( 

I don't think it is bad form but others may disagree. I emailed my POIs and all of them responded quite positively. It also provides a good chance to ask about ways to improve your application if you were to apply to them again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, selflovewarrior said:

In a bit of a dilemma when it comes to choosing between these two programs, as there is a great research fit at both and I get along well with both POIs. POIs are very similar in many regards. Location is something that is impacting my decision as I currently live in the GTA. I feel bad holding onto a decision longer than I need to but I'm seriously struggling. Any thoughts?

 

5 hours ago, Willy36 said:

Congratulations your offers, AND a CGS-M to boot. I wonder though, when were you rejected, and were you offered an interview? What form of rejection was it (SGS status, or informal POI email?) Thanks and best of luck !

Congrats!! I may be wrong about who your POI is, but I know a new faculty member came in at OISE near the end of this cycle, and so he got to extend offers (even to those who were initially rejected). If I am correct and that is your POI, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him and you would certainly benefit from working with a early career researcher like him. However, getting input from other students is really important, as @Willy36 mentioned, and you won't be able to get any feedback on what this POI is like as a mentor being that they are brand new and have never supervised students of their own. 

If I am wrong about this being a brand new faculty member at OISE, feel free to dismiss what I have said haha!

Edited by chopper.wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time lurker here! Wanted to share my excruciating, roller-coaster ride of an affair with these applications. 

School: University of Toronto (UTSC)
Concentration: Clinical Psychology (Psychological Clinical Science)
Type: MA
Date of acceptance: April 4, 2019
Notified by: My POI called me with the good news and I got a formal offer of admission via email the same day
Note: I only first heard from my POI last Tuesday! (Like, March 26th)

This was my second year doing applications after 7-8 years of deciding that I eventually want to become a clinical psychologist. My first year I applied to 10 schools, interviewed at 2, but didn't get in. This year I only applied to the 2 schools where I felt most passionate about the research. I interviewed at the in-person interviews for one school back in February and was put on the alternate list, and hadn't heard anything from the second, so I thought I was done for. Then I randomly got an e-mail at the end of March to interview! It does happen!

TLDR: It takes so much work but if you honestly want it, you can get it! I've made every big life decision over the past several years with this goal in mind and it finally paid off. YAY!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roman000 said:

This was my second year doing applications after 7-8 years of deciding that I eventually want to become a clinical psychologist. My first year I applied to 10 schools, interviewed at 2, but didn't get in. This year I only applied to the 2 schools where I felt most passionate about the research. I interviewed at the in-person interviews for one school back in February and was put on the alternate list, and hadn't heard anything from the second, so I thought I was done for. Then I randomly got an e-mail at the end of March to interview! It does happen!

TLDR: It takes so much work but if you honestly want it, you can get it! I've made every big life decision over the past several years with this goal in mind and it finally paid off. YAY!!!

Congrats!! Nice success story to read about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Willy36 said:

Congratulations your offers, AND a CGS-M to boot. I wonder though, when were you rejected, and were you offered an interview? What form of rejection was it (SGS status, or informal POI email?) Thanks and best of luck !

Thank you! I was quite surprised myself but very grateful. I was rejected March 20th and contacted by my POI on March 22nd. Rejection was formal - email via SGS that status had changed along with official rejection letter.

 

6 hours ago, Willy36 said:

Sorry I totally meant to include a reply to your dilemma, but it sounds like almost everything is held equal, such as your relationship with the POIs, your research interest at either school. I've gone through a MA already, and I've been screwed over by lack of care and attention from my ex-POI, which ultimately ended in what I call a 'divorce'. If you get a chance, I'd ask the grad students about their experiences, and trust me, if there were any red flags they wouldn't hesitate to tell you. If both supervisors are equally as appealing, then I'd say pick the choice that makes most sense geographically for you, since you mentioned that location is quite key. Hope this is helpful! 

 

26 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

 

Congrats!! I may be wrong about who your POI is, but I know a new faculty member came in at OISE near the end of this cycle, and so he got to extend offers (even to those who were initially rejected). If I am correct and that is your POI, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him and you would certainly benefit from working with a early career researcher like him. However, getting input from other students is really important, as @Willy36 mentioned, and you won't be able to get any feedback on what this POI is like as a mentor being that they are brand new and have never supervised students of their own. 

If I am wrong about this being a brand new faculty member at OISE, feel free to dismiss what I have said haha!

As @chopper.wife has mentioned, he is a new faculty member so I don’t have a way of getting any feedback from current grad students. This is also the case at Queen’s as the POI is a new faculty member also. But I appreciate you taking the time to suggest advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooo excited for when schools put their new faculty announcements up this summer, pretty much all the schools in Toronto were hiring this past year. Saw some job talks, wonder who went where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emailed OISE CCP coordinator. Asked if offers had been sent out yet and he said yes (and that all 5 spots were filled). Said that while there is always a chance someone who accepted their offer could change their mind and give a spot to the waitlist, it's unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.