Hi everyone! I decided to create a thread for the peeps applying for school psychology programs for Fall 2019! What schools are you applying to? Are you going for an EdS or PhD program? How did you pick your programs? In general, how is the whole process going for you all? I hope I can get people to add on to this because it would be nice to have people to relate to haha.

I am personally applying for PhD programs. My finalized list (so far) includes: Northern Arizona University, University of Memphis, University of Washington, and University of Virginia.

I am excited to hear about everyone else! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I'm applying also applying to School Psychology PhD programs! My list right now is University of Virginia, Columbia, Fordham, Loyola U Chicago, UNC-Chapel Hill, University of South Carolina, Penn State, University of Washington, Georgia State, and Temple. Finished my first draft of my SoP, currently revising/altering to fit certain schools. I chose my programs based on professors, what they focus on, and location (kinda want to stay on the east coast). The process has been tiring so far, especially since I'm finishing up my masters.

I'm trying to put my best foot forward and all that ?

Hi there,
  I'm applying to both PhD and PsyD programs in the Northeast USA. I've applied to UMass Boston, Temple University, Northeastern, & St. John's. I primarily picked these programs because they are social-justice oriented and value cultural diversity. My number one is St John's because I am currently living in NYC, and the move wouldn't be drastic for me. I also have my connections in NYC. I did consider applying to EdS programs, but quite frankly, the funding is abysmal. 
  I used the NASP website to find the programs I wanted, I used their search function to see if programs are funded and the acceptance amount/total number of people applied. After using this data and looking at program websites - it really helped me trim down my list of potential 15 schools to a solid 7.
  Even though I've finished my applications, I'm still feeling a lot of anxiety. The wait is agonizing.  

7 hours ago, tashaonthemoon said:

Hey! I'm applying also applying to School Psychology PhD programs! My list right now is University of Virginia, Columbia, Fordham, Loyola U Chicago, UNC-Chapel Hill, University of South Carolina, Penn State, University of Washington, Georgia State, and Temple. Finished my first draft of my SoP, currently revising/altering to fit certain schools. I chose my programs based on professors, what they focus on, and location (kinda want to stay on the east coast). The process has been tiring so far, especially since I'm finishing up my masters.

Hi! Ahhh thanks for posting on here! I thought no one would reply haha. Sounds like a solid list of schools. Do you have your top schools out of those? I’ve been editing my SoP as well... and this whole process has been exhausting so I get you! Kudos to you for working so hard. Be proud of yourself and good luck! You got this!

18 minutes ago, Soaryu said:

Hi there,
  I'm applying to both PhD and PsyD programs in the Northeast USA. I've applied to UMass Boston, Temple University, Northeastern, & St. John's. I primarily picked these programs because they are social-justice oriented and value cultural diversity. My number one is St John's because I am currently living in NYC, and the move wouldn't be drastic for me. I also have my connections in NYC. I did consider applying to EdS programs, but quite frankly, the funding is abysmal. 
  I used the NASP website to find the programs I wanted, I used their search function to see if programs are funded and the acceptance amount/total number of people applied. After using this data and looking at program websites - it really helped me trim down my list of potential 15 schools to a solid 7.
  Even though I've finished my applications, I'm still feeling a lot of anxiety. The wait is agonizing.  

Hi! Thank you so much for actually replying to this post! Haha it’s good to see there are other people going through the same thing as me. I looked at St. John’s program and it looks amazing but I feel like it’s too far for me. I’m originally from Arizona! It sounds like you have a solid list of schools and that’s awesome. I haven’t checked out that research and funding section so I’ll have to look into that. I mostly have been looking through everything on the websites and reaching out to faculty/students. Congrats on finishing your applications!!!!!! I’m still working on them and I’ve never felt more anxious trying to perfect them because I just want to get in at least somewhere. You’re doing amazing and are already ahead. You should be proud of yourself! Wishing you luck! 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:22 PM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Hi everyone! I decided to create a thread for the peeps applying for school psychology programs for Fall 2019! What schools are you applying to? Are you going for an EdS or PhD program? How did you pick your programs? In general, how is the whole process going for you all? I hope I can get people to add on to this because it would be nice to have people to relate to haha.

I am personally applying for PhD programs. My finalized list (so far) includes: Northern Arizona University, University of Memphis, University of Washington, and University of Virginia.

I am excited to hear about everyone else! :)

UPDATE ON MYSELF

I am only applying to NAU and U of Memphis now. It’s risky just because I know people tend to apply to A LOT of PhD programs but this is all I can really afford and I really love the U of Memphis program. It’s my #1. I’m originally from Arizona but I really love a certain professor’s research, the program, and I’ve spoken to faculty and a student there and it has been such a good experience talking with them. I’ve been feeling anxious about my SoP just trying to make it good. I am trying to stay positive though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 11:04 PM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Hi! Ahhh thanks for posting on here! I thought no one would reply haha. Sounds like a solid list of schools. Do you have your top schools out of those? I’ve been editing my SoP as well... and this whole process has been exhausting so I get you! Kudos to you for working so hard. Be proud of yourself and good luck! You got this!

My top choices right now are Loyola Chicago or University of Virginia. I'm nervous as all heck but I'm trying to speak positivity into existence.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:08 PM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Hi there,

Oh hey I'm also from NYC (Queens). I considered St. John's and Hofstra before realizing that I wouldn't be able to take the GRE Subject test in time, so I crossed them off. And Loyola's my top choice for the reasons you listed your other schools; they have a big social justice and cultural diversity.

On 11/16/2018 at 8:25 AM, tashaonthemoon said:

My top choices right now are Loyola Chicago or University of Virginia. I'm nervous as all heck but I'm trying to speak positivity into existence.

I feel you on the nervousness... I just submitted my applications for Northern Arizona University and University of Memphis a week ago! I contemplated Virginia but I think it’s too big of a reach for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am currently a second year MA/AC school psychology student at University at Buffalo, but just applied to UB, University of Arizona, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and University of Maryland for PhDs in School Psych! My research interests are bullying and victimization in culturally and linguistically diverse students and other minority populations (e.g. LGBTQ+ community), and development of prevention and intervention programs in those areas to promote school climate so that is why I chose the above schools.

I can barely handle the wait of hearing back from the schools but I have two weeks left of the semester to finish so I don't have the time to worry about it ? 

Good luck to everyone!!!

On 11/6/2018 at 4:02 PM, tashaonthemoon said:

yeaaah UNC-Chapel Hill! I'm there now in that program :)

14 hours ago, psychedaboutschoolpsych said:

Hi! I am currently a second year MA/AC school psychology student at University at Buffalo, but just applied to UB, University of Arizona, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and University of Maryland for PhDs in School Psych! My research interests are bullying and victimization in culturally and linguistically diverse students and other minority populations (e.g. LGBTQ+ community), and development of prevention and intervention programs in those areas to promote school climate so that is why I chose the above schools.

I can barely handle the wait of hearing back from the schools but I have two weeks left of the semester to finish so I don't have the time to worry about it ? 

Good luck to everyone!!!

That’s a good list. Do you have a top school? And good luck!! The wait is definitely killing me hahaha. 

I finally have 5/7 done! Just in time for the deadline (my other two are due December 15th and January 15th respectively). I can finally focus on the degree I'm currently working on again lmao. The waiting begins.

Good luck to everyone!

On 11/29/2018 at 5:36 PM, psychedaboutschoolpsych said:

Good luck to everyone!!!

I actually considered applying to UB, if anything because it's SUNY and that would have meant in-state tuition. Interesting research topic & solid school choices. Good luck!

Edited by tashaonthemoon

All my transcripts and GRE scores were finally received... so now I am officially waiting! I’ve never been more anxious in my life. Good luck to everyone! It’d be awesome if we shared our results here! I hope you all are able to relax (or at least try to relax hahaha) this winter break/waiting season. ?

I'm applying to 3 school psych PhD programs and 2 PsyD programs. All apps are in! I've applied to University of Kentucky, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, and UNC-Chapel Hill for school psych, and Spalding and Eastern Kentucky for clinical. So far I have an interview at Tennessee....frantically checking my email! And stressing about what an interview could mean for my chances and how nervous I should continue to be. Waiting to hear from the others. I didn't find the application process too bad but this waiting is awful. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by rachelg19

9 hours ago, rachelg19 said:

I'm applying to 3 school psych PhD programs and 2 PsyD programs. All apps are in! I've applied to University of Kentucky, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, and UNC-Chapel Hill for school psych, and Spalding and Eastern Kentucky for clinical. So far I have an interview at Tennessee....frantically checking my email! And stressing about what an interview could mean for my chances and how nervous I should continue to be. Waiting to hear from the others. I didn't find the application process too bad but this waiting is awful. Good luck to everyone!

You already have an interview?!?! Wow congrats! I’m sure you’re going to kill it.

10 hours ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

You already have an interview?!?! Wow congrats! I’m sure you’re going to kill it.

Yes! Thank you very much. I couldn't believe it. I don't know if I should be nervous about how quickly I heard something or if it's a good thing. I'm so anxious for the process to keep moving along. I'm an overthinker so all of this time in limbo is not good for me (lol).

I've applied to University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M University, Louisiana State University, University of South Carolina, North Carolina State University, and University of Virginia.(all Ph.D. programs). I just received an invitation to interview at University of South Carolina. 

Edited by kaimcc22520

On 12/6/2018 at 2:17 PM, rachelg19 said:

I'm applying to LSU too! good luck on your interview! That's awesome that you already have an interview so soon!

On 12/7/2018 at 12:05 AM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

I'm applying to University of Kentucky too! Good luck on your interview!

23 hours ago, Cwill19 said:

I'm applying to University of Kentucky too! Good luck on your interview!

Looking at past years it seems maybe we'll be hearing something pretty soon if we are offered interviews....& thank you so much! Very nervous yet excited.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:32 AM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

That’s a good list. Do you have a top school? And good luck!! The wait is definitely killing me hahaha. 

I'm debating UB (since I already work with the professor who I want to be my advisor and love her) and UNL, which I deemed as my "reach" school but just heard from them two days ago and I have an interview with them on January 14th! But I am taking it how it comes and keeping an open mind about all of them!

On 12/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, psychedaboutschoolpsych said:

I'm debating UB (since I already work with the professor who I want to be my advisor and love her) and UNL, which I deemed as my "reach" school but just heard from them two days ago and I have an interview with them on January 14th! But I am taking it how it comes and keeping an open mind about all of them!

Aw that’s awesome! Congrats on the interview!