Hey guys I posted this in the school psych interview thread but I figured I’d update this one as well...

After literally accepting defeat and that I would be outright rejected last night, I received received an invite to interview at University of Memphis which is my top school. I’m in shock but I’m really excited. I guess it’s time to prepare (even though I’ve been watching so many videos and reading so many threads about interviews hahaha). I’m so nervous!

On 1/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, schoolpsychologyfan said:

I received an interview to the University of Arizona as well!! I currently go to U of A as an undergrad so I would be happy to answer any questions about the whether, places to stay, etc. :) Just message me!

On 1/5/2019 at 10:10 PM, psychedaboutschoolpsych said:

Anyone hear back from University of Maryland yet? I've heard back from UNL and University of Arizona (got interviews with both!) and I know UB does not review applications until later and their interviews are at the end of the month....so I am hoping I am just getting antsy! The anticipation is killing me since I do not have classes to distract me!!!

Hey! I called UMD, and they send out their invites later on in January! Hope is not lost! Best of luck :)

As of now, I have two interview invites for the two programs I applied for: U of Memphis and NAU. I still can’t believe it. I’m hoping everything is going well with you guys! I remember starting this thread a few months ago and time sure flies ... Keep being your amazing selves and I believe in you!

Edited by wannabeschoolpsych

On 1/7/2019 at 4:19 AM, Sibyl Suo said:

That would be great! Having a friend there would comfort me a lot. I guess business casual would be a safe option. Wearing too fancy attire could be double-edged. It seems that we will be walking a lot according to the email such as campus tour. I am thinking about wearing  flattie ( I can't walk in heels though:lol:). If there is enough time to change clothes, we could prepare two pieces, one for formal interview and one for other social events. The detailed agenda will help us solve the problem:P

Yes, I keep waiting for a detailed agenda. I must plan things! LOL. I will wear flats as well. I was thinking of having another outfit to change into for the social too. This will be so fun! I'm debating whether I should dye my hair back to a natural color. It will make me sad but I understand how that doesnt look very professional. Maybe I'll just pull it back so you can only see the black.

Hi, everyone!

I applied to PhD programs at Northeastern, Columbia, Fordham, UC Santa Barbara, and UVA. I've interviewed for UCSB and got invited for another interview later this month, and I'll be interviewing at UVA next month! I got rejected from Northeastern's PhD program, but I've been offered an interview for the master's program. I still haven't heard from Columbia or Fordham, though! I know Fordham's still isn't due yet, so has anyone heard from Columbia?

If anyone is going to the UCSB interview day or the UVA one next month, let me know! Also, congrats to everyone on their interviews!

11 hours ago, Leighannimal said:

Yes, I keep waiting for a detailed agenda. I must plan things! LOL. I will wear flats as well. I was thinking of having another outfit to change into for the social too. This will be so fun! I'm debating whether I should dye my hair back to a natural color. It will make me sad but I understand how that doesnt look very professional. Maybe I'll just pull it back so you can only see the black.

So many things to prepare! Yes the impression is important by what you look like. Pulling it back would be great or is there any way you could both keep your current color and look professional? Like dye only the surface hair back to a natural color but keep others? I am checking flights and accommodations, and it seems that I have to fly from New York City to Orlando first, then take a bus to UF. Still trying to figure out all these traveling stuffs.

Just updated my previous posts....my interview at University of Tennessee went really well and I was accepted! I am very excited and can't wait to start.

I've seen some posts about interviewing. I agree with others who have mentioned bringing a folio or something professional looking to keep your CV in, just in case. Maybe this is common sense, but I also wanted to say  make sure you're treating any time you spend with current students as an interview as well. Be personable with them, as they want to know how you'd fit in, but be appropriate. A couple people that interviewed let their manners slip some when we were with the students and the students didn't look impressed.

And, ladies, if you're not someone who wears heels every day, wear flats to your interview! We took a long walk around campus after the interviews and the girls in heels were clearly in a lot of pain.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Edited by rachelg19
Wanted to add a comment

2 hours ago, rachelg19 said:

Just updated my previous posts....my interview at University of Tennessee went really well and I was accepted! I am very excited and can't wait to start.

I've seen some posts about interviewing. I agree with others who have mentioned bringing a folio or something professional looking to keep your CV in, just in case. Maybe this is common sense, but I also wanted to say  make sure you're treating any time you spend with current students as an interview as well. Be personable with them, as they want to know how you'd fit in, but be appropriate. A couple people that interviewed let their manners slip some when we were with the students and the students didn't look impressed.

And, ladies, if you're not someone who wears heels every day, wear flats to your interview! We took a long walk around campus after the interviews and the girls in heels were clearly in a lot of pain.

That's great! Congratulations! 

15 hours ago, psyched! said:

Hi, everyone!

I applied to PhD programs at Northeastern, Columbia, Fordham, UC Santa Barbara, and UVA. I've interviewed for UCSB and got invited for another interview later this month, and I'll be interviewing at UVA next month! I got rejected from Northeastern's PhD program, but I've been offered an interview for the master's program. I still haven't heard from Columbia or Fordham, though! I know Fordham's still isn't due yet, so has anyone heard from Columbia?

If anyone is going to the UCSB interview day or the UVA one next month, let me know! Also, congrats to everyone on their interviews!

Hi! It seems as though we have applied to many of the same programs (Northeastern, Columbia, and UCSB)! I am anxiously awaiting a response from Columbia and haven't heard back yet...

Good luck at your UCSB interview! I was waitlisted but absolutely love their program! :)

22 hours ago, psyched! said:

Hi, everyone!

The same thing happened to me with Northeastern. It seems that they accept students from their master's program and rarely from outside of that. I'm not sure about attending the interview invite though, I might just because I spent the money applying.

Hello everyone! I applied to UF's PHD program and Ohio State's Ed.S program. UF is my number one choice. I was invited to UF's interview on January 25th. Today I received the detailed agenda which I will attach. Also on the email, the recipients were not hidden so I could see there were a total of 20 students invited to interview on the 25th. Also the email was written in a way that did not single out PHD students so I'm assuming PHD and Ed.S applicants will be together. Let the frantic preparation begin!! Good luck to everyone!

UF SPP Interview Agenda 1-25-19.doc

23 hours ago, rachaelpfanz said:

Hello everyone! I applied to UF's PHD program and Ohio State's Ed.S program. UF is my number one choice. I was invited to UF's interview on January 25th. Today I received the detailed agenda which I will attach. Also on the email, the recipients were not hidden so I could see there were a total of 20 students invited to interview on the 25th. Also the email was written in a way that did not single out PHD students so I'm assuming PHD and Ed.S applicants will be together. Let the frantic preparation begin!! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! I applied to UF and OSU as well, though both of them are EdS programs. Leighannimal and I will attend February 1st interview of UF. I also received that email yesterday and found all the interviewees' email addresses, which I haven't thought about. Looking at the names, there will be 17 students on February 1st. Since  Leighannimal is applying for PhD and I am applying for EdS, all the applicants must be together. Best of luck!

19 minutes ago, Sibyl Suo said:

Congrats! I applied to UF and OSU as well, though both of them are EdS programs. Leighannimal and I will attend February 1st interview of UF. I also received that email yesterday and found all the interviewees' email addresses, which I haven't thought about. Looking at the names, there will be 17 students on February 1st. Since  Leighannimal is applying for PhD and I am applying for EdS, all the applicants must be together. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for sharing that. Interesting there is only a total of 37 applicants getting interviewed. I wonder how many are PHDs. 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, rachelg19 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!!! That’s amazing! I hope you celebrate. ??? Thanks for the tips as well!

On 1/14/2019 at 8:03 PM, rachaelpfanz said:

Congrats on the interviews! Good luck and I’m sure you’ll do amazing!

1 hour ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Congrats on the interviews! Good luck and I’m sure you’ll do amazing!

Thanks so much!! I just got an email from a current student who is assigned as my "interview buddy" so I asked her about the format of the interview (panel, one on one etc.) 

2 hours ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!!! That’s amazing! I hope you celebrate. ??? Thanks for the tips as well!

Thank you! I think I was in shock for the first couple of days but now I'm just excited. Also relieved that I don't have to sit and wonder/worry anymore. What a stressful process. I hope everyone gets the news they're hoping for!

This is how the current UF student says interviews will run: The interviews are set up to provide a mix of one-on-one interviews with select faculty and interviews with pairs of current graduate students. On the day of the interview, you will receive your individual schedule of who you will be meeting with and when. To my knowledge, you will be the only applicant for each of your interviews, so it should not be a group format.

21 hours ago, rachaelpfanz said:

This is how the current UF student says interviews will run: The interviews are set up to provide a mix of one-on-one interviews with select faculty and interviews with pairs of current graduate students. On the day of the interview, you will receive your individual schedule of who you will be meeting with and when. To my knowledge, you will be the only applicant for each of your interviews, so it should not be a group format.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I was assigned a interview buddy as well and just sent her an email to ask about the process of individual interview. I guess the answer would be the same. At the bottom of the interview agenda, there are current students' names which are in pairs. I think it would be the same as what will go for the interview day.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

As of now, I have two interview invites for the two programs I applied for: U of Memphis and NAU. I still can’t believe it. I’m hoping everything is going well with you guys! I remember starting this thread a few months ago and time sure flies ... Keep being your amazing selves and I believe in you!

I went to NAU for undergrad and lived there for three years afterwards. I absolutely loved NAU and Flagstaff. Flag will always have a special place in my heart. If you have any questions, let me know! A thing to be aware of about Flag is the cost of living. The housing prices are crazy high, but seem to be improving. Also, minimum wage is set to increase to $15 per hour by 2020 or 2021, so everything else is increasing in price. But again... I love the town and would go back if I could afford it! 

11 minutes ago, schoolpsyched4 said:

I was wondering if anyone applied to U of Washington or U of North Carolina at Chapel Hill? If so, have you heard back? 

Thanks!

I applied to the UNC Chapel Hill school psych program and haven't heard anything from them just yet. I'm hoping that they just haven't began sending out interview invites.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, rachaelpfanz said:

My interview buddy said the same thing, and she also mentioned that each interview would last about 15 to 30 minutes.