Fall 2019 Theater/Performance Studies PhD

clavius

Hello All,

Last year I applied to a few Philosophy programmes to no avail. This year I've decided to go back to my BA roots and do theatre/drama. I've applied mainly to international programmes and have two results to report so far:

Accepted without funding to PhD Theatre Studies at Victoria University of Wellington (NZ). I have declined this offer, as I've decided it's just too far away! Plus it seems untenable without funding...

Accepted to PhD Shakespeare Studies at The Shakespeare Institute, Stratford Upon Avon (University of Birmingham). No word yet on funding...but I feel hopeful. And in all likelihood, I'll accept this offer.

Still waiting on a couple others...

Good luck to everyone! 

On 1/30/2019 at 8:29 AM, TheNextSupreme said:

Got Denied from UC Berkeley last night via the web portal. Bummer!

Did anyone hear back from Tufts, Stanford, UMD, or Cornell?

Just got my rejection from Tufts. Hoping you're fairing better! 

Had a lovely phone interview with UT Austin though-- Fingers crossed! 

Hi y'all! I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and figured I would jump in once I got some news. "Some news" came yesterday when I received an email from Catherine Sheehy, chair of Yale's Dramaturgy + Dramatic Crit Dept, inviting me for an interview! I'm honestly shocked--no theater background (which the department page does say is not a prerequisite, but still...) and was most recently working at Macy's (lol). Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone who's waiting to hear back. 

any interview advice would be greatly appreciated! ?

(side note: there was a typo in the email I was sent, and it served as nice little reminder that as much as we venerate these institutions, they are composed of very human individuals, who are just as fallible as we are--an encouraging thought as this process ramps up!)

Edited by chasingvermeer

I received a few rejections this week, which I weathered fine given the earlier good news. But I can imagine how I’d be losing it had these come in a different order. 

So keep faith. As the IRA would say, we only have to be lucky once...

Hi everyone! Congrats on all your acceptances!! I've been lurking on here for a month or so and wanted to pop in to see if anyone has heard from Berkeley post-interview, or if anyone knows how long this stage usually takes. I interviewed with them back in January, and I'm dying to hear something. The thread from last year seems to show a really quick turn around, so I'm of course panicking and overanalyzing everything I said and didn't say in the interview at this point!

1 hour ago, gingyfish said:

Hi everyone! Congrats on all your acceptances!! I've been lurking on here for a month or so and wanted to pop in to see if anyone has heard from Berkeley post-interview, or if anyone knows how long this stage usually takes. I interviewed with them back in January, and I'm dying to hear something. The thread from last year seems to show a really quick turn around, so I'm of course panicking and overanalyzing everything I said and didn't say in the interview at this point!

I'm in the same boat! The person who interviewed me suggested it would be 2–3 weeks, and it's now been 3 weeks. So hopefully soon!

31 minutes ago, elgreco said:

I'm in the same boat! The person who interviewed me suggested it would be 2–3 weeks, and it's now been 3 weeks. So hopefully soon!

Ahhhhh!! Thank you!! Glad to hear I'm not alone, and at least that we should be getting close. Fingers crossed for both of us!

On 2/13/2019 at 11:04 PM, clavius said:

That's great, @deirdrenyc

And nope, haven't heard/seen anything about NW IPTD decisions. Just an email from them last month asking about an upload.

Yes, same here on NW IPTD - also the email to upload diversity statement, which I am quite sure I submitted with the form...

Any news anyone? I’ve very amazingly received another acceptance, to Queen Mary University of London’s Drama PhD program. I thought I’d settled on the Shakespeare Institute before, but now I’m not feeling as sure. Living in London seems preferable to me to living in Stratford, but I suppose there are other considerations as well. My potential supervisor at The Shakespeare Institute has been much more responsive in our communications, and I’m worried that the lack of responsiveness from the one at QM is a red flag I should heed...