Transfer my application to another department

artvandaley

Question

I'm applying to phd programs in sociology. Some schools ask you if you'd like them to transfer your application to other departments that they find relevant to your application. 

Do I check this  option? Seems like a good fallback option, but also might demonstrate lack of clarity. 

3 answers to this question

Would you be interested in obtaining a PhD in something other than sociology? If so, then I don't see the harm. If you have absolutely no desire to accept a position in any other department, then no. Adcomms usually don't have trick questions in their applications. 

I'm not at all familiar with Sociology, but in many Biology departments they will do this because 1) the programs are typically very interdisciplinary and 2) people often might "fit" better in a different department. As a personal example - I applied and got into a Human Genetics program, but switched to a broader Genetics and Genomics program halfway through my first year since it was a better fit for my research interests. The programs themselves (in my experience) are often so similar that applicants may not realize a different program is a better fit for them.

I'd say it definitely couldn't hurt to have your application shared with other programs - even if you'd prefer to get a degree in Sociology. Having more faculty look at your app is never a bad thing!