Columbia University Teachers College Fall 2019

MettaSutta

On 11/6/2018 at 11:37 AM, FutureEdPHD said:

I'm applying to the Ed policy program too! How far along are you with the application? 

Just started!  It's kind of annoying that we're asked to attach a resume but still have to manually enter in all of our employment separately, lol.  

• 4 weeks later...

Lol I know right all the other applications make us do the same..

Just submitted my application for the Phd in Economics and Education program. I haven't found any information on gradcafe regarding what they are looking for in a candidate. Best of luck to everyone

On 11/8/2018 at 5:26 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Just started!  It's kind of annoying that we're asked to attach a resume but still have to manually enter in all of our employment separately, lol.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, educonomist said:

Has anyone in this thread found out some useful information regarding the admissions process or possible dates for when we will hear back?

It seems like people last year found out between the end of February and early March. I'm assuming that's still the timeline this year but hoping to hear back earlier! 

Hey everyone, 

I am also applying to the Ph.D. in Education Policy program at Teachers College. I haven´t found any posts on the results page for previous years. Does anyone know if interviews por Ph.D. programs at TC are set up around the end of January? Should we expect interviews or final decisions by the end of February?

Best of luck.

I haven't been able to find any information either. Their whole website/communications is poor. It's difficult to find info on their website about anything so I'm not even surprised no one has any clarity on when they send out decisions. Columbia was a top choice but their consistent just lack of information makes me feel like things wouldn't be better as an actual student. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, EdPolicyPhD19 said:

Hey Guys,

I, too, applied to the PhD in Ed Policy program. The admissions information I received is that they are only accepting 4 students for this Fall :(

Where did you recieve this information from? 

On 1/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, highered01 said:

Hi, friends! Just FYI,  I applied to Ed Policy at TC last year (Ph.D.) and did not have an initial interview until March 31. Their timeline is very delayed. Good luck!

Hello @highered01 and thank you for your post! 

After reading your post, I was wondering if you applied by the December deadline. It seems to me that decisions are sent out within the second week of February but you did not have an initial interview until March 31 !! Can you please elaborate on this? Did you not hear anything regarding your admissions decision until March 31st? 

Thank you! 

Hi everyone! I'm applying to the clinical psychology PhD program at TC. Has anyone heard anything about interviews yet (even to other programs)? The results page is getting me confused, since only one person said they got an invite to interview on 2/14, while another said they heard directly from their POI about a rejection to interview. I haven't heard anything at all, so I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. :(

TC's website says they reach out to people in February and interview in March, but this could be old.

21 hours ago, educonomist said:

Hello @highered01 and thank you for your post! 

After reading your post, I was wondering if you applied by the December deadline. It seems to me that decisions are sent out within the second week of February but you did not have an initial interview until March 31 !! Can you please elaborate on this? Did you not hear anything regarding your admissions decision until March 31st? 

Thank you! 

Hi, @educonomist! Yep—Dec 15. There is only one Ph.D. deadline for the program. March 31 was the first contact for TC for an interview. My acceptance came very quickly after that, though! 

3 hours ago, TheEternalGrad said:

Hi everyone! I'm applying to the clinical psychology PhD program at TC. Has anyone heard anything about interviews yet (even to other programs)? The results page is getting me confused, since only one person said they got an invite to interview on 2/14, while another said they heard directly from their POI about a rejection to interview. I haven't heard anything at all, so I'm not sure where I stand at the moment. :(

TC's website says they reach out to people in February and interview in March, but this could be old.

Hi. I’m applying to a different program (masters), and I did receive an invite to an interview/open-house event that will be in February. The thing is that the applications were due mid-January, and I submitted them at the very beginning of January, and they sent me the invitation just a few days after that. I don’t know if it means anything. My specific program does require an interview, but I didn’t know they would even start going through the applications until the deadline. Maybe I’m just overthinking it.

5 hours ago, highered01 said:

Hi, @educonomist! Yep—Dec 15. There is only one Ph.D. deadline for the program. March 31 was the first contact for TC for an interview. My acceptance came very quickly after that, though! 

Hi @highered01

Thank you so much for your reply. I also highly appreciate you answering questions here even though (based on what I read on your posts) you have already started your PhD at PENN GSE. 

If you would like to share it with us, I was wondering your reasoning behind declining the offer from TC. They are known for offering tenuous funding and apparently they do not fund PhD students throughout their studies so my guess would be that, but perhaps there could be other insights you’d like to share.

Thank you so much ! 

Hi everyone!

I applied to the sociology and education program and received an email from the department this afternoon. 

It wasn't an official interview invite but they did ask if I have any questions about the program and that they would be happy to respond via email or Skype. 

I was wondering if anyone got similar notifications and was also wondering what this means for me, status-wise. 

Would greatly appreciate any insights! 

3 hours ago, educonomist said:

Hi @highered01

Thank you so much for your reply. I also highly appreciate you answering questions here even though (based on what I read on your posts) you have already started your PhD at PENN GSE. 

If you would like to share it with us, I was wondering your reasoning behind declining the offer from TC. They are known for offering tenuous funding and apparently they do not fund PhD students throughout their studies so my guess would be that, but perhaps there could be other insights you’d like to share.

Thank you so much ! 

@educonomist I’m more than happy to answer any questions on PM! (To note, TC is an amazing place, so I don’t want to be construed as suggesting they are not in a public way. My search was slightly unique and my decision set may or may not be similar to others’.) :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I applied by the Priority deadline for a Masters in Education Policy. I received an offer from MIIS (Middlebury Institute) for an MPA/IEM dual degree and I have to tell them by March 15... which is when the FAQs on the TC page say we should hear back about acceptance. GAH! I just want to know sooner so I can weigh my options. Where else have you all applied? Have you heard back from anyone else?

2 hours ago, Carolmf90 said:

I applied by the Priority deadline for a Masters in Education Policy. I received an offer from MIIS (Middlebury Institute) for an MPA/IEM dual degree and I have to tell them by March 15... which is when the FAQs on the TC page say we should hear back about acceptance. GAH! I just want to know sooner so I can weigh my options. Where else have you all applied? Have you heard back from anyone else?

For my masters program, they told me that I will get my decision anywhere from March 1 - March 15.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:15 PM, OperationPhDforMe said:

I haven't been able to find any information either. Their whole website/communications is poor. It's difficult to find info on their website about anything so I'm not even surprised no one has any clarity on when they send out decisions. Columbia was a top choice but their consistent just lack of information makes me feel like things wouldn't be better as an actual student. 

I totally agree. I couldn't find useful information on their web...

I applied for the M.A in Instructional Technology and Media (TEIT). 

I couldn't find any useful information relevant to what types of students they are looking for on their web (or anywhere on the Internet), I couldn't find information on when will they send out decisions.

Well...I also don't understand what the abbreviation of TEIT stands for.

It was a little bit frustrating when I applied for this program but I still hope that I get in!