Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

2 hours ago, I'mnotanxious said:

So Lucia (who's in charge of student experiences) put me in touch with an alumnus from India. I've mailed her some three hundred questions and asked her if she is okay with doing a Skype call with me. As soon as she replies to me, I'll let you know. 

I'm actually waiting to hear from a program in China with which I did an interview. If I get into that, I may just choose it because it'll be fully funded. 

Also, are all NPSIA offers done? Should I give up on it now?

Yah I’m waiting too but seeing as a lot of people have already been admitted, I think I’ll be expecting a rejection.

For those who were accepted to NPSIA during the initial round of offers, when is the deadline? I'm thinking they'll handout a second round of offers once that deadline passes, since they'll have a better understanding of numbers.

15 hours ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

Does anybody have any info on the Munk MGA waiting list? Wondering how lucky I might be to get accepted or if I need to start planning my gap year!

I would start planning the gap year -- last year, some students got in off the waitlist after 2 weeks, and some got in around June, and others in August. My friend who went to Munk got into the MGA off the waitlist 2 weeks before school started. I would at least wait until the deadline to accept (April 16th) but I think it's important to plan just in case. 

Also, Munk is pretty open about the number of students they admit vs. waitlist. Last year, they admitted 110 and waitlisted 80 people. I'm sure you can ask them what stats are this year.

4 hours ago, flip said:

For those who were accepted to NPSIA during the initial round of offers, when is the deadline? I'm thinking they'll handout a second round of offers once that deadline passes, since they'll have a better understanding of numbers.

We had 21 days from the day we received the official offer. I received mine on March 1st (I believe I was on the first day). :) 

Joining the convo! I've been accepted to GSPIA (deadline to accept is tomorrow, yikes) but am still waiting to hear back from Carleton for NPSIA and an MA in Political Science... Offers are still going out for NPSIA as of today, so I'm still hopeful! but considering the fact that I do not have any econ, I'm leaning more towards GPSIA at the moment for the integrated econ course requirement you can take during your first term... 

9 minutes ago, wordlyreader said:

Joining the convo! I've been accepted to GSPIA (deadline to accept is tomorrow, yikes) but am still waiting to hear back from Carleton for NPSIA and an MA in Political Science... Offers are still going out for NPSIA as of today, so I'm still hopeful! but considering the fact that I do not have any econ, I'm leaning more towards GPSIA at the moment for the integrated econ course requirement you can take during your first term... 

I also got accepted to GSPIA (my deadline is early April). Still waiting on Carleton. Hopefully we hear back soon.

4 hours ago, lily22 said:

I would start planning the gap year -- last year, some students got in off the waitlist after 2 weeks, and some got in around June, and others in August. My friend who went to Munk got into the MGA off the waitlist 2 weeks before school started. I would at least wait until the deadline to accept (April 16th) but I think it's important to plan just in case. 

Also, Munk is pretty open about the number of students they admit vs. waitlist. Last year, they admitted 110 and waitlisted 80 people. I'm sure you can ask them what stats are this year.

Ahhhh, I have started thinking about the gap year but it's hard thinking about housing and whatnot if I get in as late as June or August!

I really really want to email them to ask how many are waitlisted but I have already emailed so much! I'm not sure if they actually care about people who email a lot but I am worried about emailing too much!

Hey everyone,

I will be declining my offer to NPSIA, 6k scholarship, since I was offered more money with the EURUS program at Carleton, and have heard really good things about it.

I am hoping this opens up a position to others who have NPSIA as their first choice. Good luck and I hope to see some of you guys at Carleton next year :)

3 hours ago, wordlyreader said:

You can ask for an extension from GSPIA if you need. I did and they were pretty chill about it. Just make sure to include your uOttawa student number in the email and contact API@uottawa.ca - they email me back within the hour confirming my extension.

1 hour ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

Ahhhh, I have started thinking about the gap year but it's hard thinking about housing and whatnot if I get in as late as June or August!

I really really want to email them to ask how many are waitlisted but I have already emailed so much! I'm not sure if they actually care about people who email a lot but I am worried about emailing too much!

Make a fake email? Lol

Could anyone who was accepted to the MAGG at Balsillie share their deadline? I am on the waitlist and would love an idea of when they're expecting answers from first round admits.

I noticed my status on NPSIA changed yesterday to 'Recommended for Assessment'. I am open to whatever outcome; Rejection or Admission.

Edited by Amarule

46 minutes ago, ladenisse said:

I applied to Balsillie's MIPP and I haven't heard anything back. Does it mean I'm rejecteeed???? I'm realllyyyyyy freaking outtt

If you''re rejected they would email you so don't worry I don't think they're done with sending out acceptances.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:43 AM, I'mnotanxious said:

So Lucia (who's in charge of student experiences) put me in touch with an alumnus from India. I've mailed her some three hundred questions and asked her if she is okay with doing a Skype call with me. As soon as she replies to me, I'll let you know. 

I'm actually waiting to hear from a program in China with which I did an interview. If I get into that, I may just choose it because it'll be fully funded. 

Also, are all NPSIA offers done? Should I give up on it now?

My NPSIA application status changed to "Recommended for Assessment" earlier this week, so I assume that they're not done sending offers.

7 hours ago, lily22 said:

Has anyone who was admitted to Munk accepted their offer yet? Would anyone be interested in forming a group on FB? I have so many questions & figured maybe students could share their knowledge with each other

I'm almost sure I'm planning to accept. Forming a Facebook group would be a cool idea.

Hey guys, got accepted into Munk but may also have a great job on the horizon. If that comes through I will probably defer my admission by a year to get some experience before doing the MGA. Anyone have any experience of deferrals? Is the process difficult/a formality?

On 3/7/2019 at 10:44 AM, Chrisopps said:

Got a letter from Ottawa school of social science and I was granted a merit scholarship of 11k, plus gspia 12k, I guess I have to accept gspia. Good luck to all! And start to learn French abc...

Congrats! I'm in at Uottawa as well for MPA. All the best with French :)

1 hour ago, LK93 said:

@SIqbal : Congrats on getting accepted! I deferred last year for the same reason and it was pretty simple, I sent a brief explanation to the program coordinator and they got back to me within a few days granting the request to defer. 

Awesome thanks for replying! Just need to get the job offer now haha

Hey y'all, congrats to all the acceptances! I'm a current Munk student and have been lurking this forum for a while and decided to make an account In regard to some of the comments, I'm going to try to word this very carefully. In all honesty, there are times where I seriously wish I considered going to NPSIA, GSPIA or applying to Balsillie because the tuition fees at Munk are really outrageously high. I'm also an international student so maybe that's why. In terms of course content, there are a few pros and cons.  At times it feels like I'm not learning enough or developing any hard skills that will benefit me in the long run. In addition, it also feels like more of a business-oriented program rather than an IR or policy program. There are a few other criticisms I would like to make, but I'm going to stop there for now. However, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by alrightymighty

2 hours ago, alrightymighty said:

Hey y'all, congrats to all the acceptances! I'm a current Munk student and have been lurking this forum for a while and decided to make an account In regard to some of the comments, I'm going to try to word this very carefully. In all honesty, there are times where I seriously wish I considered going to NPSIA, GSPIA or applying to Balsillie because the tuition fees at Munk are really outrageously high. I'm also an international student so maybe that's why. In terms of course content, there are a few pros and cons.  At times it feels like I'm not learning enough or developing any hard skills that will benefit me in the long run. In addition, it also feels like more of a business-oriented program rather than an IR or policy program. There are a few other criticisms I would like to make, but I'm going to stop there for now. However, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the insights! Are you in MPP or MGA? And which specialization are you taking?