Applying to Munk 2019, NPSIA, GSPIA, BSIA etc.

snowflake96

22 hours ago, lily22 said:

I don't think so! I totally forgot but would join if anyone posts and sends a link!!

have you accepted your offer for munk already? i need to decide on monday and i am really leaning towards munk but i'm still trying to justify that $$$$ tuition LOL.

16 hours ago, cynthias03 said:

Hey guys!

Congratulations to everyone on here who got in!

I'm a domestic student and Carleton Central for NPSIA still says "under review by department". I'm slightly confused as this means that I'm on waitlist or that I'm not getting in? Doesn't NPSIA send out rejections if that's the deal? 

I did email Tabattha last week about it but still haven't heard back. Also, are NPSIA admissions all out now (except international?)

They’ll send you a letter if you if you got an email informing you if you got rejected. First round of offers already went out (those who received formal acceptance letters in March) so they’ll probably roll out second round of acceptance letters depending on how many people decline their offers. 

Declined Munk and U of O, so hopefully that helps move the waitlist a bit.

The Balsillie MAGG waitlist hasn't moved at all, so I opted to accept a full-ride to McMaster and do their IR program. Conflicted on if I should withdrawn my Balsillie application for 'closure' haha. I just desperately want this to be done with and concrete. ughhh

Edited by Timbit

On 4/15/2019 at 12:59 AM, Timbit said:

The Balsillie MAGG waitlist hasn't moved at all, so I opted to accept a full-ride to McMaster and do their IR program. Conflicted on if I should withdrawn my Balsillie application for 'closure' haha. I just desperately want this to be done with and concrete. ugh

Withdrawing an application will certainly end the chances of acceptance. Hang in tight, at least you will be going somewhere this September. I can only imagine the frustration of being on a waitlist but not being accepted anywhere.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:59 AM, Timbit said:

The Balsillie MAGG waitlist hasn't moved at all, so I opted to accept a full-ride to McMaster and do their IR program. Conflicted on if I should withdrawn my Balsillie application for 'closure' haha. I just desperately want this to be done with and concrete. ughhh

Currently finishing up my MA in IR at Mac and it's a great program. You can always ask Mac to give you an extension with acceptance, that's what I did last year.

31 minutes ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

Just got into McMaster's Global Health MSc with scholarship. Still on the Munk waitlist for MGA so i'm a little confused as to whether to wait it out or not. I only have until April 25th to accept McMaster. Any advice from those in the same boat???

Try asking for an extension. If they don't give you one, accept their offer on the last day. I am on the Munk waitlist as well, and had received an offer from GSPIA at the beginning of March. I asked for an extension a week before my offer's deadline, and my extended deadline was earlier this week. I accepted on the last day of the extended deadline because I didn't get off the Munk waitlist or hear back from the other schools I applied to.

59 minutes ago, maple_panda said:

Try asking for an extension. If they don't give you one, accept their offer on the last day. I am on the Munk waitlist as well, and had received an offer from GSPIA at the beginning of March. I asked for an extension a week before my offer's deadline, and my extended deadline was earlier this week. I accepted on the last day of the extended deadline because I didn't get off the Munk waitlist or hear back from the other schools I applied to.

Do you think it could be worth it to also email Munk? Like ask if there has been any movement on the waitlist? I feel as though the bulk of people accepted to MGA were accepted about a month ago now but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to ask for the likelihood of acceptance at this point...

2 hours ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

Do you think it could be worth it to also email Munk? Like ask if there has been any movement on the waitlist? I feel as though the bulk of people accepted to MGA were accepted about a month ago now but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to ask for the likelihood of acceptance at this point...

I wouldn't bother emailing them, since our place in the waitlist is not based on ranking. They will re-evaluate waitlist candidates if a spot opens up.

3 hours ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

I was put on the waitlist last year and I emailed the old MGA coordinator a ton for updates (at least once a month). They probably got annoyed with me but it was worth it to email them because they were very realistic with my chances, and their responses allowed me to move on from the program and start looking for a job.

They flat out told me that they over-admitted students -- they admitted 120 students instead of 80 -- and they would only start to accept off the waitlist if the number dropped back to 80. They also told me there were still another 80 other students ON the waitlist. The chances of being admitted off the waitlist were thus slim to none and I was encouraged to pursue other avenues and reapply the next year. 

Even if they can't tell you your chances (re: rankings), they may be able to be honest with you in the likelihood of the waitlist opening up anytime soon. 

11 hours ago, mppa said:

Currently finishing up my MA in IR at Mac and it's a great program. You can always ask Mac to give you an extension with acceptance, that's what I did last year.

It's a small program, so it's nice to hear a positive review! There aren't as many people to chat with about their experience as is the case with the bigger programs like Munk, GSPIA, etc. I asked for an extension but they could only give me an extra few days.

My quest status changed to 'Deny' today, so it turns out it was good I went with my gut and accepted McMaster haha. 

On 4/18/2019 at 11:43 PM, Timbit said:

It's a small program, so it's nice to hear a positive review! There aren't as many people to chat with about their experience as is the case with the bigger programs like Munk, GSPIA, etc. I asked for an extension but they could only give me an extra few days.

My quest status changed to 'Deny' today, so it turns out it was good I went with my gut and accepted McMaster haha. 

The small cohort makes the experience better. Profs are amazing and the courses are very interesting so you will enjoy your time. Best of luck!

Has anybody received rejection letters from NPSIA? They haven't responded to my emails or updated the status of my application (it's at "recommended for assessment"), and I would like to have some closure from my application before I start GSPIA in September, haha.

5 hours ago, maple_panda said:

Has anybody received rejection letters from NPSIA? They haven't responded to my emails or updated the status of my application (it's at "recommended for assessment"), and I would like to have some closure from my application before I start GSPIA in September, haha.

Ditto, only applied to SIDG (rejected) and NPSIA so I'm in a tight spot. I'm not even anxious about getting accepted anymore (I could use the savings, and I also plan to travel), but the courtesy of updating me on my status... because I would like to know when I can strategically quit my job :D  

Hey all, popping into this thread to offer some advice and guidance for anyone who needs it. I've just graduated from Munk, so I've got lots to say about the program (I also got accepted to NPSIA and GSPIA).

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

On 4/26/2019 at 6:24 AM, Kaspara said:

Hey all, popping into this thread to offer some advice and guidance for anyone who needs it. I've just graduated from Munk, so I've got lots to say about the program (I also got accepted to NPSIA and GSPIA).

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

Sent you a pm! Thanks again in advance! :--] 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:11 PM, maple_panda said:

same here lol. At this point idk why they can't just send rejection letters!!

19 hours ago, poppy01 said:

I’ve emailed Tabbatha about this, and if she can provide me with  some understanding on the waitlist. Specifically, if there’s a chance they’ll be moving through it based on the number of offers being accepted and rescinded. No. Response. I’ll email her again tomorrow  

I’ve had friends who have been waitlisted (not at NPSIA) and they’ve said that rejection letters for those waitlisted is sent when school is in session. I know someone who got her acceptance letter to law school on the last day of August. 

On 4/26/2019 at 12:53 AM, diplomaniac said:

Ditto, only applied to SIDG (rejected) and NPSIA so I'm in a tight spot. I'm not even anxious about getting accepted anymore (I could use the savings, and I also plan to travel), but the courtesy of updating me on my status... because I would like to know when I can strategically quit my job :D  

Hopefully you'll be hearing back from NPSIA soon so that you can go travel!

On 4/29/2019 at 7:23 PM, poppy01 said:

Exactly! It doesn't leave a good impression when they've been taking a long time to respond to students' applications.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:54 PM, diplomaniac said:

I’ve emailed Tabbatha about this, and if she can provide me with  some understanding on the waitlist. Specifically, if there’s a chance they’ll be moving through it based on the number of offers being accepted and rescinded. No. Response. I’ll email her again tomorrow  

I’ve had friends who have been waitlisted (not at NPSIA) and they’ve said that rejection letters for those waitlisted is sent when school is in session. I know someone who got her acceptance letter to law school on the last day of August. 

Thanks for the info! I guess the summer would be a perfect opportunity to forget about NPSIA!

5 hours ago, diplomaniac said:

Got my rejection letter from NPSIA today, glad I can move on. Better luck next year ?

Same! Can't believe it took them over three months to respond to my application!

38 minutes ago, maple_panda said:

Same! Can't believe it took them over three months to respond to my application!

Very odd, usually they send rejection letters as early as acceptance letters? Maybe they’re over capacity this year. Who knows, which they were more efficient... oh well, now I can move on. Better luck next year (or the following year).