African American/Africana Studies Fall 2019

Klonoa

Hello!

This thread is to discuss the journey of those applying to African American/Africana Studies programs. I would love to hear how people's application process is going, research interests, and program choices. 

And to all the applicants, I hope this application season brings many blessings. I wish you all the best.

howdy! I'm applying to AAAS/Af-Am and American studies programs. my focus is on contemporary visual artists within the african diaspora. the application process is going okay. I feel very fortunate to have so many folks willing to read my statement and writing sample and offer valuable feedback. Currently, I'm in the process of finishing my writing sample (I chose to write something from scratch) and editing  my statement. I'm also taking the GRE next week, so fingers crossed on that one. 

Program Choices: Brown (American), Northwestern (African American), University of Pennsylvania (Africana), and Harvard (AAAS) 

what about you @Klonoa

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 3:20 PM, magnegresswrites said:

howdy! I'm applying to AAAS/Af-Am and American studies programs. my focus is on contemporary visual artists within the african diaspora. the application process is going okay. I feel very fortunate to have so many folks willing to read my statement and writing sample and offer valuable feedback. Currently, I'm in the process of finishing my writing sample (I chose to write something from scratch) and editing  my statement. I'm also taking the GRE next week, so fingers crossed on that one. 

Program Choices: Brown (American), Northwestern (African American), University of Pennsylvania (Africana), and Harvard (AAAS) 

what about you @Klonoa

I'm applying to one program (not ready to say). 

The application process was long and straining, but it was not so painful now that I look back on everything. The most difficult part was the statement of purpose. For the writing sample, I chose a chapter from my thesis. 

Everyone has been supportive of my decision to apply, so that made the application process  smoother.

• 2 months later...

Forgot to post but was rejected from Brown Africana Studies last week...honestly didn't have high hopes in the first place bc there wasn't much of a fit between my research & faculty research.

When will most Af-Am programs  be notifying applicants?

According to the news shared by rx971, it appears that Brown has already made their decisions.

Hi y'all! I applied to the combined program in African American and American Studies at Yale. Based on past years, I'm really keeping an eye on February 15th. The wait is rougher than I imagined! Staying hopeful!!?

Edited by Gatorgoddess

On 2/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, rx971 said:

Forgot to post but was rejected from Brown Africana Studies last week...honestly didn't have high hopes in the first place bc there wasn't much of a fit between my research & faculty research.

I'm sorry to hear that. what other programs are you considering/waiting to hear back from?

I'm also applying to a mix of American Studies and Af Am/Africana studies programs.  

No worries! It really wasn't high on my list. I'm waiting to hear back from: 

Yale — Joint AMST & AfAM

NYU — AMST

Harvard - AfAm

Penn — Africana 

Berkeley — AfAm

Northwestern — AfAm

USCD - Ethnic Studies

35 minutes ago, rx971 said:

No worries! It really wasn't high on my list. I'm waiting to hear back from: 

Yale — Joint AMST & AfAM

NYU — AMST

Harvard - AfAm

Penn — Africana 

Berkeley — AfAm

Northwestern — AfAm

USCD - Ethnic Studies

nice! i'm waiting to hear back from a few of those as well. 

I saw there was a UPenn interview up. Do you think UPenn is interviewing everyone they are considering, or could they be reserving interviews for folks they're kind of unsure about? 

I'm basically trying to decide if I should give up hope or not haha

Edited by magnegresswrites

Hey I know I am super late to this forum, but I wanted to share some updates and information that I am aware of. I applied to AfAm/Africana Studies/American Studies and History Programs. 

I was accepted into UC Berkeley African American Studies program on Feb4th. Interviews took place on Jan 22nd and the Admit Weekend is March 17-18. I know that when I interviewed that it was a shortlist and when I scheduled it there were 20 available times to interview (assuming that there were more time slots available than finalists).

I was also interviewed by UPenn on Monday 2/11. The email said that they were impressed by my application and that I had been moved to the third round of the admissions process. The interview was conducted by the 3 POIs I identified in my letter. They said decisions would come out within 2-3 weeks but I feel like it might be sooner. 

I was also rejected by Northwestern (2/13). 

I am still waiting on 4 more decisions for AfAm/Africana Studies Programs.

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, aqua_sand said:

Hey I know I am super late to this forum, but I wanted to share some updates and information that I am aware of. I applied to AfAm/Africana Studies/American Studies and History Programs. 

I was accepted into UC Berkeley African American Studies program on Feb4th. Interviews took place on Jan 22nd and the Admit Weekend is March 17-18. I know that when I interviewed that it was a shortlist and when I scheduled it there were 20 available times to interview (assuming that there were more time slots available than finalists).

I was also interviewed by UPenn on Monday 2/11. The email said that they were impressed by my application and that I had been moved to the third round of the admissions process. The interview was conducted by the 3 POIs I identified in my letter. They said decisions would come out within 2-3 weeks but I feel like it might be sooner. 

I was also rejected by Northwestern (2/13). 

I am still waiting on 4 more decisions for AfAm/Africana Studies Programs.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on the acceptance and interview!

That is helpful, thank you. I went looking through the results for UPenn and someone noted that they interview everyone who is admitted.

So I guess that's an implied rejection. Oh well. 

Edited by magnegresswrites
Grammar

I was just accepted into Indiana University, Bloomington's AAADS program (ultra safety). I don't know if anyone applied but I wanted to let folx know that those decisions went out.

Also, I applied to Harvard's Af Am program. I am going to assume that I was not accepted because I did not receive a phone call, which has historically been their method of communication. 

Best to everyone.

9 minutes ago, aqua_sand said:

I was just accepted into Indiana University, Bloomington's AAADS program (ultra safety). I don't know if anyone applied but I wanted to let folx know that those decisions went out.

Also, I applied to Harvard's Af Am program. I am going to assume that I was not accepted because I did not receive a phone call, which has historically been their method of communication. 

Best to everyone.

congrats! 

and I'm assuming the same thing ? I applied to Harvard and phone calls *should* have gone out today (based on previous years). oh well 

11 minutes ago, magnegresswrites said:

congrats! 

and I'm assuming the same thing ? I applied to Harvard and phone calls *should* have gone out today (based on previous years). oh well 

Thank you!

also, I am assuming that UPenn rejected me because historically they called folks during the same week of the interview. 

10 minutes ago, aqua_sand said:

Thank you!

also, I am assuming that UPenn rejected me because historically they called folks during the same week of the interview. 

did you get an interview with UPenn? If so, I wouldn't count them out just yet! I haven't seen anyone post an acceptance yet

I didn't get an interview so I'm banking on a rejection from UPenn

Glad to read these updates! It's comforting to have a little bit more insight! I've learned from a Dean at Yale that their Recruitment/Admit overnight is March 24-25. But doesn't look like anyone has received word of admission yet.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:13 AM, magnegresswrites said:

Congrats on the acceptance and interview!

That is helpful, thank you. I went looking through the results for UPenn and someone noted that they interview everyone who is admitted.

So I guess that's an implied rejection. Oh well.