African American/Africana Studies Fall 2019

Klonoa

10 minutes ago, Gatorgoddess said:

Glad to read these updates! It's comforting to have a little bit more insight! I've learned from a Dean at Yale that their Recruitment/Admit overnight is March 24-25. But doesn't look like anyone has received word of admission yet.

So, what I am gathering is that decisions are coming soon, but today wasn't the day?

11 minutes ago, Gatorgoddess said:

Glad to read these updates! It's comforting to have a little bit more insight! I've learned from a Dean at Yale that their Recruitment/Admit overnight is March 24-25. But doesn't look like anyone has received word of admission yet.

I guess we all have to wait until next Friday to hear back...hopefully they admit a lot of people in the program like they did with the history program last week, so we can all have a better chance...good luck everybody!!!

On 2/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, aqua_sand said:

Hey I know I am super late to this forum, but I wanted to share some updates and information that I am aware of. I applied to AfAm/Africana Studies/American Studies and History Programs. 

I was accepted into UC Berkeley African American Studies program on Feb4th. Interviews took place on Jan 22nd and the Admit Weekend is March 17-18. I know that when I interviewed that it was a shortlist and when I scheduled it there were 20 available times to interview (assuming that there were more time slots available than finalists).

I was also interviewed by UPenn on Monday 2/11. The email said that they were impressed by my application and that I had been moved to the third round of the admissions process. The interview was conducted by the 3 POIs I identified in my letter. They said decisions would come out within 2-3 weeks but I feel like it might be sooner. 

I was also rejected by Northwestern (2/13). 

I am still waiting on 4 more decisions for AfAm/Africana Studies Programs.

Hope this helps.

Programs I applied to:

History: Princeton (rejected), Duke (accepted), Johns Hopkins (accepted), NYU (waiting, but I think it's a rejection)

Af Am: Yale (with American Studies), Harvard, UC Berkeley (accepted), UPenn (interview), Northwestern (rejected, which surprised me lol), UT Austin, and Indiana University, Bloomington (accepted)

4 hours ago, kp_87 said:

I guess we all have to wait until next Friday to hear back...hopefully they admit a lot of people in the program like they did with the history program last week, so we can all have a better chance...good luck everybody!!!

Yes!! I'm hoping we hear from Yale next Friday too. And yes, let's hope for a nice, big class!! It's good to have company while I wait!

4 hours ago, aqua_sand said:

Programs I applied to:

History: Princeton (rejected), Duke (accepted), Johns Hopkins (accepted), NYU (waiting, but I think it's a rejection)

Af Am: Yale (with American Studies), Harvard, UC Berkeley (accepted), UPenn (interview), Northwestern (rejected, which surprised me lol), UT Austin, and Indiana University, Bloomington (accepted)

Were you the person who posted about your interview for UPenn in the results page, aqua_sand?

1 hour ago, Gatorgoddess said:

Yes!! I'm hoping we hear from Yale next Friday too. And yes, let's hope for a nice, big class!! It's good to have company while I wait!

Looking st the past results for American studies and a few others I see they also released results on Saturdays and sundays so it could possible post this weekend too...fingers crossed and hoping for positive results for all of us 

19 hours ago, magnegresswrites said:

did you get an interview with UPenn? If so, I wouldn't count them out just yet! I haven't seen anyone post an acceptance yet

I didn't get an interview so I'm banking on a rejection from UPenn

My interview experience was a bit weird so I'm expecting the worse. When I sent a follow-up email, my POIs kindly responded though. So maybe that's a good sign? They said it would take them 2-3 weeks for decisions to be released, but I doubt it will take that long if it is an acceptance. 

On 2/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, kp_87 said:

I too saw all the history admits... I said some kind of prayer after that!

Is anyone going to NCBS???

On another note: this waiting is so rough, I've had to increase mindfulness. Currently listening to nature sounds on repeat to calm me down. Also increasing social time, since it also helps keep my mind off the wait. ?

@magnegresswrites and @aqua_sand so sorry to hear about Harvard! This waiting is indeed horrendous. ? And yes! I'm hoping Yale comes on with it! I'm hoping for Friday ???

On 2/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, aqua_sand said:

Officially received a rejection from Harvard.