NIH PREP 2019-2020 Applicants unite

nęm0

This is about the NIH prep program. Its just a place for us to come and talk about different programs and where we are applying and what we end up doing. 

****No display of stats please, if you need to know ask the person in private chat or something. 

I will start, I am applying to 7 schools, why? Because 7 is my lucky number, actually is 14 but 7 was more doable.

My schools: Harvard, Brown, UIC, Uchicago, UGA, UMAssmed, Tufts. Harvard is my top choice, but all other schools are great and I will love to attend any of these programs.

1 hour ago, Smeb said:

@leecy77

Which one are you in?? how is it so far?

I ended up picking Mayo Clinic! I interviewed with Northwestern and Yale as well, never heard anything back from Harvard lol. 

Its been great so far, particularly as I'm interested in clinically translational research! It has the option for additional years in the program, however I am planning to give grad apps a shot this round!

@leecy77

For Harvard did you not apply through the grad portal? They didn't send any notifications? When you started was the plan to be part of the program for 1 year or two. How is the mentoring like? I guess it depends on your mentor but how many times you meet per week? do you guys have a research review club? AHHH so many questions

I don't know if more people are going to join this topic so I am going to use it as some kind of diary. Someone in the future will be thankful I did it.

I have now finished writing all my statement of purpose except for UChicago. Their application is not yet open. Its supposed to open dec 1st. I wont be submitting my apps until dec19th as I wait for my new transcript. I took the GRE but didn't do well on it, I am still debating on whether to include it or not.

Harvard's PREP application process was honestly a bit of a mess last year. It was not through the graduate portal, rather a separate website. Notifications and navigating the application were a bit hectic. 

I planned on doing a 1 year PREP, however the option for a second year is comforting if graduate applications don't go well this round- as I can continue taking PhD classes that will transfer, and am working towards publications. My day to day mentor is a senior postdoctoral fellow as my PI is incredibly busy. I see my main mentor every day, and my PI every week or so, but he is available if I ever wanted to drop by. Mentoring through the program is great as well! We have an IMSD meeting every week (with the PhD students, summer students, MD students, etc), journal clubs, grand rounds, and really just a ton of different seminars you can attend. 

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions!

Also, I'd include your GRE as it can't really hurt here-most programs offer study plans and fee waivers to take/retake the GRE.

• 2 weeks later...

12/9/18

All my recommendations are in I think... I will have to email the schools that don't have a portal and check. I am done with most of my essays. I need to fix 2 of them. I am waiting for my new transcript to mass submit everything. I keep dreaming about decisions coming in, I am anxious. I don't know what school will offer me a spot first and will I ask them to wait to see if there are any other offers. 

I am happy to go back home soon so that I can kinda forget about this and hang out with my best friend. Finales week is this week, I gotta focus on this. 

• 2 weeks later...

12/20/18

submitted 5 out of 7 apps, I am not too worried about the last 2, I just need to find time to work on them. Now all that is left is waiting. Most of the decisions should start rolling in march and april. some school might reach out for interviews. I will post something if it happens until then. Have a wonderful break

On 12/21/2018 at 3:57 AM, neurooooo said:

Hi guys. Any of you know how competitive PREP programs are? Anyone mind sharing their stats?

For stats as for it through private message. I don't want them here because I believe people are more than just stats.

2 minutes ago, Smeb said:

****ask glialstar as she is in a prep program and i am not yet.

Already PMed them awhile back! And i definitely agree that people are more than stats- the PREP programs in particular look at the applicant as a whole and if the program would provide a benefit to them in the year+ they have on the grant. 

Edited by glialstar

12/28/19

All applications are sent in. I got nothing to do but wait. I probably won't hear anything until late February or the school will think my application is too awesome and admit me right away!

I dont have anything to report for a while so I dont think I am going to be back here until I hear back from the schools, until then take care yall!

News Flash!! it seems like all the schools hold interviews some on campus, some(most) online. So take your school's deadline add 2-3 weeks to it. if you don't hear anything from them about an interview that is most likely a rejection.

3 minutes ago, Smeb said:

News Flash!! it seems like all the schools hold interviews some on campus, some(most) online. So take your school's deadline add 2-3 weeks to it. if you don't hear anything from them about an interview that is most likely a rejection.

Side note- I constantly checked in last year, many of the programs I applied to took about a month to get back to me about an interview. Don't be afraid to check in as they tell you when they are meeting/when you should expect to hear back! 

Hi! I also applied to 7 programs. All the applications are in. 

My schools: Harvard, Northwestern, UIC, Boston U, UPenn, Mayo, Albert Einstein. I also applied directly to the NIH Post-Bac IRTA program for the Bethesda and Baltimore locations. 

Why is Boston U not on the NIH PREP Participating institution website? Lol that greatly decreases the competition

Well, some schools on there don't event have fundings for the programs so they should be removed too. NIH PLEASE FIX YOUR WEBSITE

That makes me wonder, How many schools are not on there??

@mcalubag welcome! I don't mean to be rude but I really want to be in Boston, and I would have applied to BU if I knew so I am a bit salty. But I am not going to apply because, in the end, you can only attend one school.

Edited by Smeb

@Smeb lol thank you and I think it may be a new program or not actually an NIH PREP program. They only offer 3 assistantships and it does not directly say if it gets the money from the NIH. But I definitely think they should update their website if it is from the NIH though. 

I've never actually been to Boston, but it is a place I definitely want to live in for a bit to see if I like it since I've always wanted to visit. 

I just hope I get into one of the programs. I would be happy with any of them!

I visited twice. If you like big cities with lost of people then it is a great place. there is a lot of things to do.  TBH I just want to leave my current state

Edited by Smeb

• 3 weeks later...

UIC started reviewing applications- not a full review I think, just making sure they have everything because they don't have a regular grad school application portal, their app deadline is March 15th