NIH PREP 2019-2020 Applicants unite

nęm0

7 hours ago, Mack93 said:

I had an interview last Friday and they told me I would hear back no later than today ... haven’t heard back anything as of yet. This is nerve wracking ?

An interview where?

6 minutes ago, mediumtwotopping said:

Got rejected in the Yale NIH PREP but they did accept me for the Yale Bouchet Graduate School Bootcamp 2019! (whatever this is)

They said I get a fee waiver for their PhD apps next cycle so I'll take it! 

I got the same email! Lol I'll take my consolation prize

3 minutes ago, ucsluggo said:

I also got the Bouchet!

5 minutes ago, Abcs12345 said:

I got the same email! Lol I'll take my consolation prize

Nice!!! If you guys are applying (or have already applied) for the Diversity Preview Days, I hope we all get in and see each other there! ?

2 hours ago, mediumtwotopping said:

Got rejected in the Yale NIH PREP but they did accept me for the Yale Bouchet Graduate School Bootcamp 2019! (whatever this is)

They said I get a fee waiver for their PhD apps next cycle so I'll take it! 

Also got it! I feel like everyone who applied did.. but it still made me feel better! 

17 hours ago, neurooooo said:

Also got it! I feel like everyone who applied did.. but it still made me feel better! 

I also got the invite, and if it's free it's me! I'm pretty stoked on it, since I thought I was opening up a "sorry, you were rejected... best of luck out there" letter. 

Edited by ima__ima

For the people who have been successfully admitted, would you mind messaging me your stats and any advice that you think would help for being accepted for PREP? I applied to like 12 of these programs, as well as the NIH IRTA, emailed like 8 PIs from the NIH and have not received any interviews, just rejections. I really could not pinpoint what I could improve on my application after going through it with my research professors, besides not much research experience, but isn't that what these programs are geared towards?

On 5/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, memory said:

For the people who have been successfully admitted, would you mind messaging me your stats and any advice that you think would help for being accepted for PREP? I applied to like 12 of these programs, as well as the NIH IRTA, emailed like 8 PIs from the NIH and have not received any interviews, just rejections. I really could not pinpoint what I could improve on my application after going through it with my research professors, besides not much research experience, but isn't that what these programs are geared towards?

I think I know how you feel but there is not an exact formula of GPA/research experience. Different schools want different things that's why you apply to more than one(try to contact the schools and ask them where can you improve your application). In your case, 12 might have been too much, quality is more important than quantity. NIH IRTA is pretty much first come first served and it doesn't have to do with your credentials. As long as you think research the right path for you, you will persevere and finally obtain it. Look into some lab tech jobs if that's an option. I wish you the best of luck.

Hi all! 

I was just offered an interview. I’m really nervous as it might be done today, because i’m travelling. Can anyone give me pointers on how theirs was and what kind of questions to expect. I’m nervous i’ll talk out of my a$$ due to lack of preparedness. 

Thank u!

2 hours ago, Woot said:

Hi all! 

I was just offered an interview. I’m really nervous as it might be done today, because i’m travelling. Can anyone give me pointers on how theirs was and what kind of questions to expect. I’m nervous i’ll talk out of my a$$ due to lack of preparedness. 

Thank u!

Know why PREP and why that school specifically. Be able to talk about at least one research project thoroughly. Where did you get offered an interview? 

On 5/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, neurooooo said:

Anyone heard from UMD? They said they’d get back end of last week/beginning of this week...

I can't believe they haven't sent out decisions yet. It is awfully late in the admissions season... Regardless, I'm wishing you good luck!

To future applicants: You will not hear anything from these schools(Harvard, Uchicago) unless you are admitted or interviewed. So keep that in mind when you choose with schools to apply. Had I known it would be like this I would have selected different schools. Feel free to apply to them if you still wish.

• 1 month later...

Harvard University and UChicago do send out final admissions decisions, they’re just not until much later in the summer. If you don’t hear anything by March or April from either of these schools, I’d say it would not be unsafe to assume that you need to consider elsewhere. For reference, I got an interview from Harvard and UChicago in the second week of March.

Edited by dejosco

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I would like some advice on this. I got offered a position in one PREP program and was given 2 weeks to get back to them. I am still waiting on my other 5 schools to finalize their admissions and start sending interview offers. To be honest, this program is my second choice, and I’m hoping to keep the spot until I know for sure that there is no hope for me getting into my top program. Is there a polite way to differ this? 

Also, I should probably start a new thread for this year’s process! 

20 hours ago, MarxistHegelian said:

Hi! I would like some advice on this. I got offered a position in one PREP program and was given 2 weeks to get back to them. I am still waiting on my other 5 schools to finalize their admissions and start sending interview offers. To be honest, this program is my second choice, and I’m hoping to keep the spot until I know for sure that there is no hope for me getting into my top program. Is there a polite way to differ this? 

Also, I should probably start a new thread for this year’s process! 

Would you mind sharing the PREP program that you received your offer from? And I think it'll be a great idea to start a new thread for this year. 

22 hours ago, davidoff05 said:

Would you mind sharing the PREP program that you received your offer from? And I think it'll be a great idea to start a new thread for this year. 

Here is the new thread: 

I got an offer for Northwestern PREP. I also posted the schools I am applying to in the above thread ^. Let me know if you hear something! 

On 3/1/2020 at 5:49 PM, MarxistHegelian said:
  On 2/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, davidoff05 said:

Here is the new thread: 

I got an offer for Northwestern PREP. I also posted the schools I am applying to in the above thread ^. Let me know if you hear something! 

I'm assuming that you're within the Neuroscience field because NU-IN PREP is for Neuroscience people. I personally know Cassandra and someone doing the NU-IN PREP. The student loves it and she got interviews/got in into great schools.

Edited by mediumtwotopping

Hi guys,

I've applied to PREP this year (2020-2021) for neuroscience and had some questions for those who attended last year.

1. Can you tell me more about your experiences with PREP?

2. Is anyone in Brown PREP?? 

3. Did you get admitted into your top grad school choices? Is there a precedent of students being admitted into the university you did PREP for grad school?!

Any input is much appreciated!!!

Edited by AspiringNeuroCandidate