Jump to content
NK Advocate

NIH PREP 2019-2020 Applicants unite

Recommended Posts

I had an interview last Friday and they told me I would hear back no later than today ... haven’t heard back anything as of yet. This is nerve wracking 😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mack93 said:

I had an interview last Friday and they told me I would hear back no later than today ... haven’t heard back anything as of yet. This is nerve wracking 😪

An interview where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got rejected in the Yale NIH PREP but they did accept me for the Yale Bouchet Graduate School Bootcamp 2019! (whatever this is)

They said I get a fee waiver for their PhD apps next cycle so I'll take it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mediumtwotopping said:

Got rejected in the Yale NIH PREP but they did accept me for the Yale Bouchet Graduate School Bootcamp 2019! (whatever this is)

They said I get a fee waiver for their PhD apps next cycle so I'll take it! 

I got the same email! Lol I'll take my consolation prize

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ucsluggo said:

I also got the Bouchet!

 

5 minutes ago, Abcs12345 said:

I got the same email! Lol I'll take my consolation prize

Nice!!! If you guys are applying (or have already applied) for the Diversity Preview Days, I hope we all get in and see each other there! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mediumtwotopping said:

Got rejected in the Yale NIH PREP but they did accept me for the Yale Bouchet Graduate School Bootcamp 2019! (whatever this is)

They said I get a fee waiver for their PhD apps next cycle so I'll take it! 

Also got it! I feel like everyone who applied did.. but it still made me feel better! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, neurooooo said:

Also got it! I feel like everyone who applied did.. but it still made me feel better! 

I also got the invite, and if it's free it's me! I'm pretty stoked on it, since I thought I was opening up a "sorry, you were rejected... best of luck out there" letter. 

Edited by ima__ima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, good luck on your applications! Anyone got into PennPREP and is currently looking for housing?  I’m on the look! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the people who have been successfully admitted, would you mind messaging me your stats and any advice that you think would help for being accepted for PREP? I applied to like 12 of these programs, as well as the NIH IRTA, emailed like 8 PIs from the NIH and have not received any interviews, just rejections. I really could not pinpoint what I could improve on my application after going through it with my research professors, besides not much research experience, but isn't that what these programs are geared towards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, memory said:

For the people who have been successfully admitted, would you mind messaging me your stats and any advice that you think would help for being accepted for PREP? I applied to like 12 of these programs, as well as the NIH IRTA, emailed like 8 PIs from the NIH and have not received any interviews, just rejections. I really could not pinpoint what I could improve on my application after going through it with my research professors, besides not much research experience, but isn't that what these programs are geared towards?

I think I know how you feel but there is not an exact formula of GPA/research experience. Different schools want different things that's why you apply to more than one(try to contact the schools and ask them where can you improve your application). In your case, 12 might have been too much, quality is more important than quantity. NIH IRTA is pretty much first come first served and it doesn't have to do with your credentials. As long as you think research the right path for you, you will persevere and finally obtain it. Look into some lab tech jobs if that's an option. I wish you the best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! 

I was just offered an interview. I’m really nervous as it might be done today, because i’m travelling. Can anyone give me pointers on how theirs was and what kind of questions to expect. I’m nervous i’ll talk out of my a$$ due to lack of preparedness. 

 

Thank u!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woot said:

Hi all! 

I was just offered an interview. I’m really nervous as it might be done today, because i’m travelling. Can anyone give me pointers on how theirs was and what kind of questions to expect. I’m nervous i’ll talk out of my a$$ due to lack of preparedness. 

 

Thank u!

Know why PREP and why that school specifically. Be able to talk about at least one research project thoroughly. Where did you get offered an interview? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, neurooooo said:

Anyone heard from UMD? They said they’d get back end of last week/beginning of this week...

I can't believe they haven't sent out decisions yet. It is awfully late in the admissions season... Regardless, I'm wishing you good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.