Jump to content
NK Advocate

NIH PREP 2019-2020 Applicants unite

Recommended Posts

On 2/25/2019 at 8:21 AM, dejosco said:

Me too! How exciting. Do you know how many other individuals they are interviewing?

I don't know of anyone else! Although I will admit that I did sneak a peek at Starr's twitter account and he mentions the PREP apps, and how difficult it was during selections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do know the MD/PhD is very difficult and they look to see how much you're truly committed. I don't have much thought to offer on Case's just because its unknown to me. I thought Mount Sinai wasn't accepting applications this cycle cause of no funding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Would anyone be willing to privately share their personal statement or direct me somewhere that I could read some solid examples? I've already submitted all of my apps so it won't affect my competitiveness.. I just want to get an idea of how other people write theirs. I feel like mine is okay but I'm worried that I might be totally missing the point. Mostly I'm wondering how personal did you guys get? I feel like many of the prompts invited personal disclosure but I've read that admissions committees don't want to hear it because they think you're appealing to pity.  

Edited by neurooooo
Additional question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 7:42 AM, AspiringMD/PhDScholar said:

I applied to Case, Brown, Yale, Harvard, Chicago, Hopkins, UPenn, Mount Sinai, Einstein, UNC, and Mayo. I am an MD/PhD applicant which definitely adds a hurdle since these programs only accept one if ANY MD/PhD interested candidate per cohort. I was extended an invitation to join Case Western's prep. It's uneasy having to make a decision without having heard back from the other institutions. I wish they all released their decisions at the same time. Does anyone have any thoughts on Case's program? For those who didn't apply, why not? Any thoughts are much appreciated. 

I am in the same predicament as you. Case has extended an invitation to me and I have until March 5th to give an answer, but I've only heard back from UC Davis so far. They've offered me an interview, but it's on the same day as the deadline for Case. I'm just going to ask Case for an additional week to decide, though. Hopkins should be getting back with us in the next week or two. 

Case's program is a great program. Case's medical program is certainly stronger than their biology program and it benefits from being affiliated with the highly prestigious Cleveland Clinic, but it's still a solid program and a solid school. I think that if the research fit is strong, you should definitely consider it. Cleveland is a wonderful city, it is very affordable, and the transportation is great. I think that Case's PREP is probably one of the "best" PREPs, as it has a stellar placement rate and a very low attrition rate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ucsluggo said:

I don't know of anyone else! Although I will admit that I did sneak a peek at Starr's twitter account and he mentions the PREP apps, and how difficult it was during selections.

 I did the same thing! haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ucsluggo said:

I do know the MD/PhD is very difficult and they look to see how much you're truly committed. I don't have much thought to offer on Case's just because its unknown to me. I thought Mount Sinai wasn't accepting applications this cycle cause of no funding?

They weren't accepting last cycle, but they are/were accepting this cycle (I'm not sure if the deadline has passed). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neurooooo said:

Would anyone be willing to privately share their personal statement or direct me somewhere that I could read some solid examples? I've already submitted all of my apps so it won't affect my competitiveness.. I just want to get an idea of how other people write theirs. I feel like mine is okay but I'm worried that I might be totally missing the point. Mostly I'm wondering how personal did you guys get? I feel like many of the prompts invited personal disclosure but I've read that admissions committees don't want to hear it because they think you're appealing to pity.  

Unless you have some extenuating circumstance, I would just let the more personal part of your statement explain why exactly a PREP program would benefit you. I didn't have enough research experience, so I just made sure to explain that in the first paragraph of my essay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that are still interested in applying to PREP, University of California - Santa Cruz has just renewed their grant. Applications are due April 1st. 

 

http://stemdiv.ucsc.edu/prep/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dejosco said:

I am in the same predicament as you. Case has extended an invitation to me and I have until March 5th to give an answer, but I've only heard back from UC Davis so far. They've offered me an interview, but it's on the same day as the deadline for Case. I'm just going to ask Case for an additional week to decide, though. Hopkins should be getting back with us in the next week or two. 

Case's program is a great program. Case's medical program is certainly stronger than their biology program and it benefits from being affiliated with the highly prestigious Cleveland Clinic, but it's still a solid program and a solid school. I think that if the research fit is strong, you should definitely consider it. Cleveland is a wonderful city, it is very affordable, and the transportation is great. I think that Case's PREP is probably one of the "best" PREPs, as it has a stellar placement rate and a very low attrition rate. 

This was INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank-you so much for taking the time to write - I genuinely appreciate it! That's AWESOME hearing about the perks of living in Cleveland (i.e. affordability) and I totally forgot about the affiliation with Cleveland Clinic. I wonder if I can work in a CC laboratory if accepted - that would be neat! I assume you're interest in cancer biology since you were familiar with the Cleveland Clinic affiliation? I will have to send you a PM, you seem awesome, and I want to keep in touch or add you on LinkedIn to see where you end up! As a three-time Leadership Alliance alumnus (if you're applying to PREP, I'm sure you've heard of it before), I've learned just as much from my peers as my mentors so thank-you again! I assume you didn't end up accepting the Case offer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AspiringMD/PhDScholar said:

This was INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank-you so much for taking the time to write - I genuinely appreciate it! That's AWESOME hearing about the perks of living in Cleveland (i.e. affordability) and I totally forgot about the affiliation with Cleveland Clinic. I wonder if I can work in a CC laboratory if accepted - that would be neat! I assume you're interest in cancer biology since you were familiar with the Cleveland Clinic affiliation? I will have to send you a PM, you seem awesome, and I want to keep in touch or add you on LinkedIn to see where you end up! As a three-time Leadership Alliance alumnus (if you're applying to PREP, I'm sure you've heard of it before), I've learned just as much from my peers as my mentors so thank-you again! I assume you didn't end up accepting the Case offer? 

I'm a Leadership Alliance alumnus as well! I haven't accepted the offer from Case, but I am going to request if I can have an additional week to consider. I'll message you back! 

I'm actually highly interested in infectious disease research! It's not as big of a thing at the Cleveland Clinic as cancer biology, but they still have excellent research going on in the area. I'm highly considering their Molecular Medicine PhD program. 

Edited by dejosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! 

I am currently awaiting answer on my Yale PREP application. I was wondering if I should email the professors I mentioned in my research interest? I was thinking of writing to them about my interest as a prospective student in their lab, attach a cover letter maybe, what do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know when Yale starts giving interviews?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, btlpc said:

Hey! 

I am currently awaiting answer on my Yale PREP application. I was wondering if I should email the professors I mentioned in my research interest? I was thinking of writing to them about my interest as a prospective student in their lab, attach a cover letter maybe, what do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know when Yale starts giving interviews?

I think this is a great strategy for graduate research, however, not for PREP admissions. Yale will be extending their interview offers after March 15th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, btlpc said:

Hey! 

I am currently awaiting answer on my Yale PREP application. I was wondering if I should email the professors I mentioned in my research interest? I was thinking of writing to them about my interest as a prospective student in their lab, attach a cover letter maybe, what do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know when Yale starts giving interviews?

I asked the director if this was appropriate for PREP and she did not recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much!!!!!!  I already had the email drafted up! I'm so anxious... is there anything I can do to make my application stand out? should I email the director? WHat should I say or do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, btlpc said:

Thank you so much!!!!!!  I already had the email drafted up! I'm so anxious... is there anything I can do to make my application stand out? should I email the director? WHat should I say or do?

Hi BTLPC - I think this is a tough question and something many students struggle with. Since the application due date for almost all schools has passed, and all those schools are in thick of reviewing applications, if not wrapping up soon, I think it's WAY too late to be worried about "how to stand out." I would advise you trust in the process for the next two weeks. I say this bluntly for the sake of sharing an honest opinion and perhaps make a suggestion for you moving forward. I am a HUGE believer in the power of networking and forging real relationships early on. I reached out to PREP directors this past summer knowing I would be applying this cycle. This way, I was able to build genuine relationships with them, stay connected over the course of the semester, then meet in person at ABRCMS and invite them to my presentation, and follow-up via email after. Additionally, by reaching out during the summer/early Fall, the PREP directors were NOT busy so they were super willing and excited to engage with me. Reaching out now for the sake of trying to stand out is more disruptive to the process and from first hand experience, I've been told it's "annoying to program leadership" since many of the PREP directors are administrators overseeing the graduate admissions process too, in addition to maintaining laboratories and fulfilling other administrative duties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was rejected from UCD last week! started to apply to a few lab tech positions! Have faith in yourself this is all but a small detour, heck some of my new options look even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I declined an interview offer from UChicago and UC Davis, in addition to withdrawing my applications from Harvard, Brown, and Tufts to accept an admissions offer for Johns Hopkins PREP! 

My fingers are crossed for you all! 

Edited by dejosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NK Advocate said:

Was rejected from UCD last week! started to apply to a few lab tech positions! Have faith in yourself this is all but a small detour, heck some of my new options look even better.

You could always apply to the Post-Bac IRTA Program with the NIH. It is not too late since they take people via rolling admission. I have had 4 labs reach out to me since submitting my application and 2 offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, dejosco said:

I declined an interview offer from UChicago and UC Davis, in addition to withdrawing my applications from Harvard, Brown, and Tufts to accept an admissions offer for Johns Hopkins PREP! 

My fingers are crossed for you all! 

When did UChicago and Johns Hopkins get back to you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neurooooo said:

When did UChicago and Johns Hopkins get back to you? 

They both got to me on Friday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dejosco said:

They both got to me on Friday. 

Do you know if they will be sending multiple rounds of invites or was that it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!

I'm applying a bit later than everyone else to PREP/other post-bacc programs, but I've applied/am applying to: Boston University, Baylor, Case Western, University of Michigan, UC Santa Cruz, Tufts, University of Maryland, and Oregon Health & Science University (which has a neuroscience-based post-bacc program). I've been viewing this thread for a bit and figured I'd finally make an account and reply here.

Also, in reference to @neurooooo's question, I'm not sure but I believe that at least UChicago should be sending out more interview invites, considering their application isn't technically due until March 31 and they'll likely be receiving applications until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, btlpc said:

@AspiringMD/PhDScholar Thank you so much for the amazing advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

 

also, did anyone else get the email from yale about preview days?

Yes, I did! I don’t think it means anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.