Jump to content
Number34

NIH PREP 2019-2020 Applicants unite

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, neurooooo said:

Do you know if they will be sending multiple rounds of invites or was that it?

I will tell you-- and this is confirmed information-- that UChicago begins making offers before the due date. If they do not fill up their spots before the due dates, then they will consider later applications. Unfortunately, this information isn't made clear on their website. 

Edited by dejosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, neurooooo said:

Yes, I did! I don’t think it means anything. 

No worries, @btlpc!!! Please keep us posted where you end up!!! I'm totally curious...maybe we will end up together. Send me a private message...I'd love to add you on LinkedIn...we may have a small community but we have a powerful one at that!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AspiringMD/PhDScholar said:

was this your only rejection so far? still early in the process!!!

Yes but I can't wait until April to start looking... I think this application cycle is a wrap! TO THE BATMOBILE!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mcalubag said:

You could always apply to the Post-Bac IRTA Program with the NIH. It is not too late since they take people via rolling admission. I have had 4 labs reach out to me since submitting my application and 2 offers. 

I will look into it if my apps as a lab tech are not positive but I have that's not the case. I fell in love with Boston so my goal is to remain there and build connections for grad school.

I am not posting anything anymore here until I get an offer somewhere. TBH I have taken these rejections way better than college admission. I am looking at it as a relationship kinda things, it's not an insult to your worth, you were just incompatible. So my advice would be not to attach your self worth to where you end up going but to the actions that propelled you here. You are all talented.

Edited by NK Advocate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 3:22 PM, mcalubag said:

Hi! I also applied to 7 programs. All the applications are in. 

My schools: Harvard, Northwestern, UIC, Boston U, UPenn, Mayo, Albert Einstein. I also applied directly to the NIH Post-Bac IRTA program for the Bethesda and Baltimore locations. 

Any word from those institutions? Still waiting to hear myself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AspiringMD/PhDScholar said:

Any word from those institutions? Still waiting to hear myself...

I interviewed with Northwestern and am waiting for final decisions to be sent by the beginning of April. I have the BU Interview next week. I have got offers from labs at the NIH. 

Edited by mcalubag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

So I am also interested in doing an MD/Ph.D. as well. I applied to the NIH PREP programs at Harvard, Yale, Upenn, Albert Einstein, Baylor, and Case Western (I thought I had turned it in but I did not, so ended up applying right at the deadline). I have also applied to a few masters programs and if things don't shake out my PI at UCSF said he would allow me to stay on there. Good luck to everyone applying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 12:54 PM, AspiringMD/PhDScholar said:

Any word from those institutions? Still waiting to hear myself...

I was offered an interview from Harvard earlier last week, so I'm assuming that they've got the ball rolling. I'm not sure about the other places you mentioned though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dejosco said:

I was offered an interview from Harvard earlier last week, so I'm assuming that they've got the ball rolling. I'm not sure about the other places you mentioned though. 

Did you have an interview with jhu or did they admit you without one?

TBH I kinda don't wanna do research next year and go to the peace corp! We shall see

Edited by NK Advocate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NK Advocate said:

Did you have an interview with jhu or did they admit you without one?

TBH I kinda don't wanna do research next year and go to the peace corp! We shall see

Yeah, JHU did interviews! 

Unless you already have a substantial amount of research experience already, it would probably be more advantageous to utilize your gap year to gain research experience in some way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my issue, I am heavily invested in the community that I take part in, so I can really do either. That's was my problem with research, it feels disconnected from the people, even in the biomedical field. To me, it is too easy to just focus on your lab work and yes you produce usable info, but how are you making that information more understandable to the public, and in our case to the underrepresented communities which by far faces the most health disparities. Maybe this is why I haven't gotten any interviews because my commitment isn't to science, it is to the people who benefit from it. So to you future doctors, please attempt to reach out to communities and share your passion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NK Advocate said:

This is my issue, I am heavily invested in the community that I take part in, so I can really do either. That's was my problem with research, it feels disconnected from the people, even in the biomedical field. To me, it is too easy to just focus on your lab work and yes you produce usable info, but how are you making that information more understandable to the public, and in our case to the underrepresented communities which by far faces the most health disparities. Maybe this is why I haven't gotten any interviews because my commitment isn't to science, it is to the people who benefit from it. So to you future doctors, please attempt to reach out to communities and share your passion!

Sounds like you should be pursuing an MD not a PhD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There as also issues with current medical practice. Anyone who has shadowed a doctor will tell you that. Involvement with the community should not be delegated to a group of people, because we are all stakeholders of that community. I get it it's not easy, but it is well worth the time.

Also, MD can choose to only do research so just picking an MD does not mean that you are directly making your community better. There are clearly issues on both sides.

5 hours ago, neurooooo said:

Sounds like you should be pursuing an MD not a PhD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, NK Advocate said:

This is my issue, I am heavily invested in the community that I take part in, so I can really do either. That's was my problem with research, it feels disconnected from the people, even in the biomedical field. To me, it is too easy to just focus on your lab work and yes you produce usable info, but how are you making that information more understandable to the public, and in our case to the underrepresented communities which by far faces the most health disparities. Maybe this is why I haven't gotten any interviews because my commitment isn't to science, it is to the people who benefit from it. So to you future doctors, please attempt to reach out to communities and share your passion!

8 hours ago, NK Advocate said:

There as also issues with current medical practice. Anyone who has shadowed a doctor will tell you that. Involvement with the community should not be delegated to a group of people, because we are all stakeholders of that community. I get it it's not easy, but it is well worth the time.

Also, MD can choose to only do research so just picking an MD does not mean that you are directly making your community better. There are clearly issues on both sides.

 

It sounds like you could greatly benefit from taking some time to gain a greater understanding of what exactly it is you want out of a career and what exactly it is you could see yourself doing with an advanced degree, whether that be a PhD, MD-PhD, or MD. 

You make "this information" more understandable to the public by publishing. Doing research isn't about just fiddling about in a lab doing experiments--it's about expanding the frontier of human knowledge. If you play your cards right, you will also be able to share this information outside of the context of scientific journals (e.g., review articles, Popular Science articles, TED Talks, etc.) that will allow for this information to be shared in a way that is more understandable to people that lack the technical knowledge we as life scientists have. 

All research, even basic science, is done with hope it will someday have an impact. If you are interested in research that is more translationally focused, it would probably be advantageous for you to look into public health graduate programs or translational research programs. Additionally, bear in mind that having an MD does not preclude you from doing research. Luckily, there is a place in research for people with a vast array of interests! 

Edited by dejosco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree! What I am saying this that as urm that are moving in positions of power, we should not be content with just expanding the frontier of human knowledge. And that we more than anyone should look back to help others (that can take place in many forms, I am not telling you should become Nelson Mandella or Mother Theressa). That's just my point of view but everyone is free to do as they wished.

My thoughts reflect upon my interactions with the African American community. I am not sure how other communities are but I am always willing to learn.

Edited by NK Advocate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NK Advocate said:

I agree! What I am saying this that as urm that are moving in positions of power, we should not be content with just expanding the frontier of human knowledge. And that we more than anyone should look back to help others (that can take place in many forms, I am not telling you should become Nelson Mandella or Mother Theressa). That's just my point of view but everyone is free to do as they wished.

My thoughts reflect upon my interactions with the African American community. I am not sure how other communities are but I am always willing to learn.

Oh, absolutely! Fortunately there are career opportunities for those that want to not only train as scientists, but also become involved as advocates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 9:30 PM, bearmdphd said:

Hello everyone,

So I am also interested in doing an MD/Ph.D. as well. I applied to the NIH PREP programs at Harvard, Yale, Upenn, Albert Einstein, Baylor, and Case Western (I thought I had turned it in but I did not, so ended up applying right at the deadline). I have also applied to a few masters programs and if things don't shake out my PI at UCSF said he would allow me to stay on there. Good luck to everyone applying!

That's awesome! I interviewed at Baylor, Penn, and Case, with offers from all three. Have you heard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AspiringMD/PhDScholar said:

That's awesome! I interviewed at Baylor, Penn, and Case, with offers from all three. Have you heard?

Penn has already sent out acceptances??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What questions were yall asked during interviews??

Also, can we all come back to this site on April 15 to tell where/what were are doing? so that people in the same area can meet/roommates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I've been monitoring without posting but I just wanted to answer a few questions people had. So I applied to Harvard, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Northwestern, UNC, Johns Hopkins and Mayo Clinic as a neuroscience applicant. I got interviews and offers from Northwestern, JHU, UNC and UPenn. I ended saying yes to UPenn today. 

I interviewed with JHU 2 weeks ago and got an offer the next day. I think they've most likely selected everyone by now.

Northwestern did interview in the second and third week of february and sent offers a few days after. 

UNC did Skype and is still doing in person. 

I got UPenn acceptance the day after the interview, they might still send out offers if you interviewed last week but i'm not sure.

I did not hear from Harvard, Yale, Brown or Mayo Clinic. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, neurooooo said:

If I haven’t heard back from anywhere do you think that pretty much means I didn’t get any interviews?

I would definitely ask them, especially if you've heard that others have interviewed. Most schools send out interviews all at once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.