Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

12 hours ago, HAC said:

I’m interested in intergroup conflict, prejudice, affective/social neuroscience, existential threats, and empathy.

I had oregon and wustl in my initial list but dropped them eventually. I've applied to toronto as well cos i'm interested in affective neuroscience!

12 hours ago, loffire said:

I had oregon and wustl in my initial list but dropped them eventually. I've applied to toronto as well cos i'm interested in affective neuroscience!

I am also interested in affective neuroscience, more specifically its relationship to intergroup conflict through how individuals process stimuli related to adversarial group members. Thus, making my POI choices somewhat narrow, as that is a rather niche topic. Which POIs are you interested in at U of T? What other schools did you end up applying to? 

Edited by HAC

2 hours ago, HAC said:

I am also interested in affective neuroscience, more specifically its relationship to intergroup conflict through how individuals process stimuli related to adversarial group members. Thus, making my POI choices somewhat narrow, as that is a rather niche topic. Which POIs are you interested in at U of T? What other schools did you end up applying to? 

I'm more interested in regulation of emotions, perception of emotional stimuli and expression of emotions. Stems from my prev research exp in microexpressions. Ive applied to Stanford, ucla, unc, u texas at austin, upitt, penn state, uci, dartmouth, neu and denver. everything above uci is progressively more of a reach for me hahah. at toronto i'm looking at inzlicht, stellar and cunningham.  how bout you?

2 hours ago, loffire said:

I'm more interested in regulation of emotions, perception of emotional stimuli and expression of emotions. Stems from my prev research exp in microexpressions. Ive applied to Stanford, ucla, unc, u texas at austin, upitt, penn state, uci, dartmouth, neu and denver. everything above uci is progressively more of a reach for me hahah. at toronto i'm looking at inzlicht, stellar and cunningham.  how bout you?

Emotion regulation and expression are very interesting topics. I was really close to apply to the program at Dartmouth, but changed my mind in the end because I felt like it wasn’t the greatest fit for my research interests. Good luck ?! I am also applying to some stretch schools, but hey we have to give a try right?! Looks like you and I have similar taste in POIs, I applied to Stellar, Cunningham, and Plaks. Stellar is the main reason I applied though because of her work on empathy. 

1 hour ago, HAC said:

Emotion regulation and expression are very interesting topics. I was really close to apply to the program at Dartmouth, but changed my mind in the end because I felt like it wasn’t the greatest fit for my research interests. Good luck ?! I am also applying to some stretch schools, but hey we have to give a try right?! Looks like you and I have similar taste in POIs, I applied to Stellar, Cunningham, and Plaks. Stellar is the main reason I applied though because of her work on empathy. 

hahah i feel ya. i'll DM u instead and we can commiserate

1 hour ago, Psygeek said:

UVa!

Wow cool, I was so close to applying there. I have heard they have a great program. Can I ask you something, how many hours a week do you spend on classes/lab work/TAing? 

45 minutes ago, HAC said:

Wow cool, I was so close to applying there. I have heard they have a great program. Can I ask you something, how many hours a week do you spend on classes/lab work/TAing? 

TA-ing, we're supposed to do 10, but at this point, i do way less. We get sections from 2nd year though, so then it's more or less that amount. Also varies per class. However, we basically shouldnt do more than 10.....

Lab work: Currently none, I usually use RA's and lot of Mturk or existing datasets. Lot of it is also just surveys that can be done online...

Classes: I think I spend approx 6-  10 hrs in class (depending on the nr I take), preparation maybe 5 - ish atm? Of course more when a paper or presentation is due, but i usually write on topics related to my research so I don't really see it as 'classes'....

Am transferring next year though >.<

7 hours ago, Psygeek said:

TA-ing, we're supposed to do 10, but at this point, i do way less. We get sections from 2nd year though, so then it's more or less that amount. Also varies per class. However, we basically shouldnt do more than 10.....

Lab work: Currently none, I usually use RA's and lot of Mturk or existing datasets. Lot of it is also just surveys that can be done online...

Classes: I think I spend approx 6-  10 hrs in class (depending on the nr I take), preparation maybe 5 - ish atm? Of course more when a paper or presentation is due, but i usually write on topics related to my research so I don't really see it as 'classes'....

Am transferring next year though >.<

So it sounds pretty manageable in the first few years. I guess it depends what type of research a person is doing and which program one gets accepted to. Which school are you transferring to? What are you research interests? Part of me regrets not applying to UVA, but I think I didn’t have the greatest matches there, which is why I dropped it off the list in the end. 

On 11/14/2018 at 9:02 PM, Psygeek said:

What are everyone's research interests?

Hello! I'm interested in the neural basis of social connection and social pain.

Applied to 6 programs: UCLA, Dartmouth, University of Pittsburgh, UNC, Stanford, and Columbia

On 11/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, socpsy said:

Also, anyone going to SPSP this year? :)

I'll be there! Can't wait!!

1 hour ago, socneuro said:

Hello! I'm interested in the neural basis of social connection and social pain.

Applied to 6 programs: UCLA, Dartmouth, University of Pittsburgh, UNC, Stanford, and Columbia

I'll be there! Can't wait!!

oooh we have a huge overlap of schools! i applied to all the same except columbia hahah  care to share POIs?

1 hour ago, loffire said:

oooh we have a huge overlap of schools! i applied to all the same except columbia hahah  care to share POIs?

sure! 

• UCLA: Dr. Eisenberger, Dr. Parkinson, & Dr. Lieberman
  • Dartmouth: Dr. Wheatley, Dr. Meyer, & Dr. Wager
  • University of Pittsburgh: Dr. Inagaki
  • UNC: Dr. Muscatell & Dr. Algoe
  • Stanford: Dr. Zaki
  • Columbia: Dr. Oschner

Honestly, I feel like Stanford and Columbia are my last resort schools since my interests are not as closely aligned for those, but I'd be happy to get into any of them! 

I assume we have a lot of the same, but who did you choose for POIs? 

1 hour ago, SJK01 said:

How are clinical programs with 12/1 deadlines already extending Skype interviews. I'm about to fall off my rocker. My applications haven't even gone "under review" except for Rice.. Whose deadline isn't even until 12/15 ?‍♀️

I was surprised by that too! esp during finals! It's a little early to worry at this point but damn I wish I could know already!! Also none of mine are under review either yet or at least I haven't gotten an email about it - I should probably check the application portals just to make sure though.

13 hours ago, SJK01 said:

How are clinical programs with 12/1 deadlines already extending Skype interviews. I'm about to fall off my rocker. My applications haven't even gone "under review" except for Rice.. Whose deadline isn't even until 12/15 ?‍♀️

Clinical usually has so many more applicants too! I've heard from talking to social faculty that a lot of them meet in committees or all of department reviews applications, but obviously that varies. Maybe we're just getting more thorough consideration ;)

12 hours ago, socneuro said:

Also none of mine are under review either yet or at least I haven't gotten an email about it - I should probably check the application portals just to make sure though.

The only schools that show under review are Texas and UMN and that was like right after I submitted, so I'm in the same boat.

8 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Where are you applying? Feel free to PM.

For Social I applied Northwestern, University of Utah, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and University of Denver

For I/O I applied to Colorado State, Penn State, and Portland State (Will also apply Univ of Oklahoma in January)

7 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

For Social I applied Northwestern, University of Utah, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and University of Denver

For I/O I applied to Colorado State, Penn State, and Portland State (Will also apply Univ of Oklahoma in January)

I applied to denver and penn state too!

On my end U toronto, texas and northeastern have begun review.