Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

19 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

For Social I applied Northwestern, University of Utah, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and University of Denver

For I/O I applied to Colorado State, Penn State, and Portland State (Will also apply Univ of Oklahoma in January)

10 minutes ago, loffire said:

I applied to denver and penn state too!

On my end U toronto, texas and northeastern have begun review.

Maybe we'll all get to meet at Penn State :D

38 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Who was your POI at denver!?

McRae, tenBrinke and Chiew

39 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Maybe we'll all get to meet at Penn State :D

Sounds fun! Hahahah who were your POIs there? Mine is Gasper and Adams

On 12/5/2018 at 4:10 PM, petitebiscuit said:

For Social I applied Northwestern, University of Utah, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and University of Denver

For I/O I applied to Colorado State, Penn State, and Portland State (Will also apply Univ of Oklahoma in January)

Hey I also applied to University of Oregon. Who are your POIs? Mine are Saucier and Hodges. What are your research interests?

Edited by HAC

Hey so has anyone here in the social department heard anything back yet about their apps? The clinical and developmental people in the other forums are starting to make me so nervous ?.

38 minutes ago, HAC said:

Hey so has anyone here in the social department heard anything back yet about their apps? The clinical and developmental people in the other forums are starting to make me so nervous ?.

Nope! Not even a notification that its under review.

Social tends to be the last. Seems to be clinical, developmental, cognitive then social hahaha I might be wrong though.

On a related note, toronto, texas, northeastern and DU have begun the review process. Got an email from DU and NEU not the other 2

1 hour ago, loffire said:

Social tends to be the last. Seems to be clinical, developmental, cognitive then social hahaha I might be wrong though.

On a related note, toronto, texas, northeastern and DU have begun the review process. Got an email from DU and NEU not the other 2

Denver emailed you they started?! I haven’t got anything!

Got an email from a POI that I reached out to at a post-bacc program (as a backup.. I haven't applied yet) that said, "you are building a strong CV, which is wonderful, but I’m not sure the extent to which you perceive yourself to be a strong fit with our faculty".

Ugh. Like I reached out BECAUSE I was interested..

2 hours ago, loffire said:

At this point I think we're holding ourselves together a little better than the other areas.. don't tell them I said that. :P

9 minutes ago, socpsy said:

At this point I think we're holding ourselves together a little better than the other areas.. don't tell them I said that. :P

Wish I applied to social, less anxiety and neuroticism on your threads compared to others haha;). There's a reason people say clinical psychologists have to be somewhat crazy to do what they do.

Edited by higaisha

7 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

Clinical person snooping here, and, yes, you all are definitely holding it together a lot better ?

6 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Wish I applied to social, less anxiety and neuroticism on your threads compared to others haha;). There's a reason people say clinical psychologists have to be somewhat crazy to do what they do.

Hahah I found the best way to summon the clinical folk. The anxiety and neuroticism is definitely real with me but I'm just good at ignoring it.

edit: and booking plenty of therapy sessions over the next couple of months!

Edited by socpsy

7 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

Clinical person snooping here, and, yes, you all are definitely holding it together a lot better ?

6 minutes ago, higaisha said:

lol don't worry guys I'll be a lot more neurotic come January/February! Only calm at this point because applications haven't even gone under review yet ? Can't be rejected if they haven't looked yet!

5 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Hahah I found the best way to summon the clinical folk. The anxiety and neuroticism is definitely real with me but I'm just good at ignoring it.

edit: and booking plenty of therapy sessions over the next couple of months!

Been creeping this thread for a bit, y'all are smart! Therapy ahh...take the clinical thread with you for christ's sake!

2 hours ago, socpsy said:

Got an email from a POI that I reached out to at a post-bacc program (as a backup.. I haven't applied yet) that said, "you are building a strong CV, which is wonderful, but I’m not sure the extent to which you perceive yourself to be a strong fit with our faculty".

Ugh. Like I reached out BECAUSE I was interested..

This is such an odd reply that I wouldn’t even know how to interpret it.

2 hours ago, socpsy said:

edit: and booking plenty of therapy sessions over the next couple of months

2 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

Oh man don’t be too sure! I’ve been stress baking and wine drinking like a mad woman over here.

Hi! I'm interested in diversity-related research  (intergroup relations, social cognition, bias, stereotypes, prejudice).

Applied to 9 schools (Stanford, UMich, Yale, Northwestern, UW, Purdue, PennState, NYU, Indiana-Bloomington) and planning to apply to one more (UVa) 

If anyone was wondering, Northwestern has started their preliminary interviews for social psych it seems! I was invited Monday and did the Skype call today. Apparently they'll meet in the next week or two to discuss who they'll invite to on-campus interviews. 

I found this thread while trying to figure out when other schools I've applied to start their interviews so if anyone's got a clue... :D 

5 minutes ago, reaching44 said:

Hi! I'm interested in diversity-related research  (intergroup relations, social cognition, bias, stereotypes, prejudice).

Applied to 9 schools (Stanford, UMich, Yale, Northwestern, UW, Purdue, PennState, NYU, Indiana-Bloomington) and planning to apply to one more (UVa) 

If anyone was wondering, Northwestern has started their preliminary interviews for social psych it seems! I was invited Monday and did the Skype call today. Apparently they'll meet in the next week or two to discuss who they'll invite to on-campus interviews. 

I found this thread while trying to figure out when other schools I've applied to start their interviews so if anyone's got a clue... :D 

Congrats! Do you mind listing your POI you interviewed with?

23 minutes ago, reaching44 said:

Congrats on the Skype interview! I also applied to work with Perry. You and I have very similar interests and many similar schools as well!

15 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Congrats on the Skype interview! I also applied to work with Perry. You and I have very similar interests and many similar schools as well!

Thanks! Oh yeah looks like we do. I'll keep an eye out for your updates :)