Rejected from PhD but Accepted to M* (Without Applying)

rejectedndejected

Question

Does anyone know if Notre Dame, of its own initiative, will accept an applicant into its MTS program while at the same time denying him admission to its theology PhD program (in cases where the person has only applied to the theology PhD, but not the MTS)?  If one desires such treatment, do we have to indicate as such on our applications?  Do schools only do this for people applying straight from undergrad?

2 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, rejectedndejected said:

Does anyone know if Notre Dame, of its own initiative, will accept an applicant into its MTS program while at the same time denying him admission to its theology PhD program (in cases where the person has only applied to the theology PhD, but not the MTS)?  If one desires such treatment, do we have to indicate as such on our applications?  Do schools only do this for people applying straight from undergrad?

I am not sure about Notre Dame, but I know NYU amongst others offer masters to their less successful applicants. I got rejected by NYU previously but got offered masters. Many refer to them as cash cow programs cos they generate revenue for the schools as they usually come without funding. Some view that negatively as not being selective enough, but on the flip side it is a foot in the door! Not sure if this applies to Notre Dame as well though. Hopefully someone can chime in on this