Letters of Rec: Professors Vs. SLP’s/Supervisors

It’s unfortunate to say, but I never got too close to my professors during my undergrad. I know that if I asked them for letters of recommendations, they probably wouldn’t be the strongest. But I will be working as an SLPA and I’m sure I can get solid letters from SLP’s and supervisors. What I’m trying to say is, do grad schools have to see academic recommendations for you to get accepted? Or would I be better off sticking with strong letters from those outside my schooling. Let me know of your opinions and experiences on this :) 

I think it depends on the school, as some programs require that a portion of the letter comes from professors. If this is the case with some of your schools, I recommend asking professors and going to them in person and talking to them more about yourself. This can make those letters stronger. 

Part of grad school is clinic, so your letters from SLP's will be great for this. However, the other part is in the classroom, so I think programs want to see how you are as student in the classroom as well. Short answer, I think you can have letters from both, but not just SLPs. 

6 hours ago, SLPhopefullyy said:

It’s unfortunate to say, but I never got too close to my professors during my undergrad. I know that if I asked them for letters of recommendations, they probably wouldn’t be the strongest. But I will be working as an SLPA and I’m sure I can get solid letters from SLP’s and supervisors. What I’m trying to say is, do grad schools have to see academic recommendations for you to get accepted? Or would I be better off sticking with strong letters from those outside my schooling. Let me know of your opinions and experiences on this :) 

In my experience, they want to make sure that you’re a good student so that they know you’ll do well in their program (and not fail or quit the program). If you do ask a professor, provide your resume and statement of intent so that they can include some of those details in the letter. I had letters from 2 professors (not that strong since they barely knew me) and 2 supervisors to be safe (very strong since they knew me and my work as an SLPA).