DrPH Applicants Fall 2019

pakiprincess

Hi Group Members, 

I am am hoping for some advise from this group (also asked a similar question in the PHD forum). I was accepted into a DrPH program with tuition assistance. I am currently waitlisted for a PHD program that is my top choice. What types of questions do folks consider when making their decision between two types of programs? Are others in this predicament? 

Looking for help! Thank you!

On 3/18/2019 at 10:23 PM, Rose petals said:

I am still waiting to find out from Columbia Mailman’s DrPH program. It says in their portal to email by 3/15 if we have not received a decision. I emailed on Friday and haven’t received any word... 

I saw your update and decided to email them too because my portal hadn't changed at all since I applied (I didn't even have this information about emailing them by 3/15). Less than an hour after my email, I could no longer access the portal with my login. And now (maybe 2 hours after emailing?) I just got an email to check because a decision has been made and when I checked, I didn't get in. And I'm not upset, this was my least preferred program I applied to. I didn't really want to go (to school in New York City) but they have faculty working in my interest area so I applied anyway. I'm just amused that it took an email prompt to get them to give me some sort of  a decision that had obviously already been made. Oh well, it is what it is. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back or about to interview!!!!

1 hour ago, PHDapplicantkam said:

Hi Group Members, 

I am am hoping for some advise from this group (also asked a similar question in the PHD forum). I was accepted into a DrPH program with tuition assistance. I am currently waitlisted for a PHD program that is my top choice. What types of questions do folks consider when making their decision between two types of programs? Are others in this predicament? 

Looking for help! Thank you!

Because I'm more interested in leadership and practice than I am in straight up research, personally, I would probably choose a DrPH program over a PhD one. That said, the PhD program must be your top choice for a reason, so maybe try to find out the feasibility of getting in off the waitlist and maybe drop the crumb that you really want to come to their school and have this other offer pending. Also, how big of an issue would lack of funding be for you? If I was in that predicament, those would be the questions I would ask myself.

4 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

Because I'm more interested in leadership and practice than I am in straight up research, personally, I would probably choose a DrPH program over a PhD one. That said, the PhD program must be your top choice for a reason, so maybe try to find out the feasibility of getting in off the waitlist and maybe drop the crumb that you really want to come to their school and have this other offer pending. Also, how big of an issue would lack of funding be for you? If I was in that predicament, those would be the questions I would ask myself.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions - I think I will do that on the funding piece. One more month to wait is a long time to hear back from a waitlist with a small chance of getting in...

6 hours ago, hopskipjump13 said:

I don't seem to have an award letter at all... where are you seeing yours?

I can’t see it because it’s not there. I emailed financial aid and Brenda Hedrick and found out the following for the PH Finacial Aid Application:

Typically, once your application is complete, it will take our office approximately two to four weeks to process your application and generate an award for you. We review files on a continuous basis once the application is completeIn order to receive financial aid you have to meet the requirements of at least 6 credits per term

You have to be registered for at least 6 credits total (winter and third term combined) and at least 1 credit in third term to be funded for the Winter institute

For Summer Institute funding, you need to take a minimum of 1 credit during summer term and can take the remaining 5 credits during Summer Institute (or for example split it 3 credits Summer term and 3 credits Summer Institute, or some other combination totaling 6 credits).

Is anyone else waiting to see what financial aid might be available from Hopkins before sending in their acceptance?

I did take plunge and booked travel to Baltimore for the orientation. If anyone is interested in sharing housing (AirBnB, 2-bedroom, already booked with flex cancellation policy), feel free to direct message me. 

On 3/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, brittany18 said:

Is anyone else debating between Hopkins vs. an on-site full-time program? If so, what factors are you considering? 

yes, I am! I would prefer a full time program. In that case, I will opt out of Hopkins. I have kept Boston and Columbia as prefered options. Will take a decision early next week, based on the financial assistance package 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:48 PM, Rose petals said:

I can’t see it because it’s not there. I emailed financial aid and Brenda Hedrick and found out the following for the PH Finacial Aid Application:

Typically, once your application is complete, it will take our office approximately two to four weeks to process your application and generate an award for you. We review files on a continuous basis once the application is completeIn order to receive financial aid you have to meet the requirements of at least 6 credits per term

You have to be registered for at least 6 credits total (winter and third term combined) and at least 1 credit in third term to be funded for the Winter institute

For Summer Institute funding, you need to take a minimum of 1 credit during summer term and can take the remaining 5 credits during Summer Institute (or for example split it 3 credits Summer term and 3 credits Summer Institute, or some other combination totaling 6 credits).

Thanks for looking into that! I just got my FAFSA marked Received as of today. I didn't realize there was even any chance of getting funding from JHU for this program... Did you simply submit the JHU form and the FAFSA to them and that's all they need? Or was there another avenue to request aid?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, hopskipjump13 said:

Thanks for looking into that! I just got my FAFSA marked Received as of today. I didn't realize there was even any chance of getting funding from JHU for this program... Did you simply submit the JHU form and the FAFSA to them and that's all they need? Or was there another avenue to request aid?

Thanks!

I submitted FAFSA and the PH Student Aid Form. Are you referring to the PH Student Aid Form as the JHU form? These were the only items on my to-do list on the SIS website. 

Edited by Rose petals

On 3/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, drph2019 said:

Is anyone else waiting to see what financial aid might be available from Hopkins before sending in their acceptance?

I did take plunge and booked travel to Baltimore for the orientation. If anyone is interested in sharing housing (AirBnB, 2-bedroom, already booked with flex cancellation policy), feel free to direct message me. 

I am waiting on my financial aid package and my admitted students day experience before accepting! :fingers crossed:

On 3/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, Rose petals said:

Wow that’s so late considering that decisions were going to be communicated by the 15th. Congrats on getting an interview invite. Which track did you apply to... I applied to Sociomedical Sciences. Are interviews required for admission?

thanks! I applied to the population and family health (DrPH in Leadership in Global Health and Humanitarian Systems). the interview went well.. they promised to get back this week..