DrPH Applicants Fall 2019

pakiprincess

Congratulations to all who got admitted to BU. And it seems like the Harvard rejection club is thriving.

17 hours ago, Rose petals said:

Also got rejected from Harvard’s DrPH ?. Waiting on Hopkins and Columbia DrPH. Do you know if Columbia conducts interviews? I have not received any interview invites...

I have no idea if Columbia does interviews unfortunately. What department did you apply to? Based on last year, it seems we should know in the next week to 10 days. I've already kind of mentally decided to try again in next year's application cycle and to be more strategic about things.  Unless an absolute miracle happens and I get off the Hopkins (PhD) waitlist with funding. But no regrets, this application cycle has been a major learning experience and really I should have made time to scour these forums BEFORE applying rather than last minute-ing everything around my work schedule.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, theonewiththePhDapp said:

Just received my first admittance to Claremont Graduate University DrPH! Feeling relieved that I got somewhere, but who knows about funding for this program. Supposedly the admission packet is coming by mail, and will include fellowship information in it. If anyone else also applied here let me know!

Congratulations!!

On 3/2/2019 at 12:13 PM, Motherof4 said:

Are acceptance letters being emailed or mailed out?  Haven’t heard from Hopkins or UIC. 

I’m predicting we will hear from Hopkins this week. I think email has been used in the past for the DrPH program there. I keep checking my Hopkins personal application site, which I assume will be updated when decisions go out. Good luck!

2 hours ago, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

I’m predicting we will hear from Hopkins this week. I think email has been used in the past for the DrPH program there. I keep checking my Hopkins personal application site, which I assume will be updated when decisions go out. Good luck!

I agree with you! Last year it was March 7th, so we may hear back this week from Hopkins! Good luck to everyone! I am definitely starting to become impatient. 

UIC and Hopkins may be sending out acceptance this week. UNC most likely as well, if you have already been interviewed. 

Edited by BigTuna

3 minutes ago, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

FWIW, I called Hopkins admissions and the person on the other end said "Yeah, they [DrPH admission decisions] should be coming out this week."

You are doing the lord's work. I would be so frustrated if I got through this week and heard nothing!

On 3/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

On 3/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

Thanks! Good luck as well! 

Funny - I called the same number. How sure did the person seem that you talked to? I wouldn't say this woman in admissions seemed that confident but she did put me on hold to try to get more information and then got back to me and said "next week". 

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2019 said:

Funny - I called the same number. How sure did the person seem that you talked to? I wouldn't say this woman in admissions seemed that confident but she did put me on hold to try to get more information and then got back to me and said "next week". 

Well, when I asked, it seemed like she paused to either look at something or look something up, then said "should be this week."

I bet they're just messing with us and it will be the last day in March before we hear anything. HAHAHAHAHAHA <-- crazy, fried nerves laugh.

13 minutes ago, Hopeful2019 said:

Yeah - who knows. I've been trying to distract myself but I probably click on the portal a good 50-100 times a day (can't be healthy haha).

Same, same. This is truly brutal.

What track did you all apply to? I applied to the new Health Security track.

27 minutes ago, BigTuna said:

Quality/Safety...They really believe in using Lean Six Sigma which is really needed to be refined in healthcare

Awesome! Before I got into my current work I was doing PI for a hospital system. And you are right, Lean Six Sigma applies but it's clunky for healthcare the way it currently exists since it comes from a manufacturing perspective. That's a great mission for a career and very needed!

2 hours ago, hopskipjump13 said:

Awesome! Before I got into my current work I was doing PI for a hospital system. And you are right, Lean Six Sigma applies but it's clunky for healthcare the way it currently exists since it comes from a manufacturing perspective. That's a great mission for a career and very needed!

Yes it is. It is used horribly wrong. As a LSS Black Belt I worked in manufacturing, mining, healthcare consulting, and now at a pediatric research hospital. You can't just take the Operational Excellence shirt off the back of industry and apply it to healthcare, it needs to be adapted to be adopted. My focus is to apply operational excellence as a vehicle to implement evidence based practice in academic, community, and regional medical systems servicing Medicaid and Veteran populations through the platform of an ACO.

Sigh. I'm sitting here trying to work on my clinical trials protocols [my actual job] and also authoring a response from a major area hospital to the Board of Medicine about their disciplinary action proposals for opioid prescribing, that quite frankly is going to scare any remaining providers away from writing  opioids for patients with chronic pain - even those who are stable and have functional and quality of life benefit [what I'm really passionate about, but doesn't pay the bills like the protocol work].

You know what would help me understand policy, implementation, and how to accurately assess these things? ... admission to the DrPH program at Hopkins. Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm seriously going nuts over here.