The wait begins!

philopsych

I finally finished my applications (9) today. Who else is in the same boat? Also, who else feels like they can't possibly wait any longer to hear some results?! I don't expect this to go well for me, but I look forward to learning from this experience and using it for next year's applications. 

Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to have a (mini) celebration thread to just be grateful that applications are done and now we move on to the next step. Good luck everyone!

So I too have just submitted 8 applications and fingers crossed? we both get accepted to at least one place ?! I am with you for celebrating!!! Congratulations on finishing 9 apps and good luck! 

I submitted 8 of 12 applications, and then realized I don't think I even want to go to the last 4 and was only applying to so many because I was scared I wouldn't get in to just the 8. So NOW I am completely finished submitting. I'm so anxious I can't stand it and should really pick up a new hobby with all the free time I have now that I'm no longer obsessing over my SOP and LORs being submitted.

3 hours ago, philopsych said:

who else feels like they can't possibly wait any longer to hear some results?! I don't expect this to go well for me, but I look forward to learning from this experience and using it for next year's applications.

Same here. I can't believe it's finally over (not including any last minute errors or hiccups)...

This was definitely a learning experience. Now I can use my extra time to finish up this semester. ?

10 hours ago, philopsych said:

I finally finished my applications (9) today. Who else is in the same boat? Also, who else feels like they can't possibly wait any longer to hear some results?! I don't expect this to go well for me, but I look forward to learning from this experience and using it for next year's applications. 

Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to have a (mini) celebration thread to just be grateful that applications are done and now we move on to the next step. Good luck everyone!

believe in yourself a little more! Hopefully you will get in and you won't even have to worry about applying again :)

11 hours ago, philopsych said:

I am applying to 5 PHD and 1 Masters and this is also a learning experience for me. I have submitted 3 of my applications.

13 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Did anyone contact their PIs saying that their applications were turned in? I didn't have a lot of correspondence with some of them, but one was super encouraging. I was wondering if I should email her.

I ended up reaching out to any who gave me personalized responses to emails when I first reached out or who I met in person. I received three responses since this morning saying they'd keep an eye out for my app.

Other than obsessing over one letter writer, I am also done with all my applications. It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, but now, instead of worrying about completing applications, I'm anxiously waiting to hear back. I guess the stress never ends ?

Best of luck to everyone!

58 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

I am still waiting for one of my letter writers to upload some of their letters, but I am honestly more stressed now than I was while I was working on the applications. I feel so restless. 

i am on the same boat. submitted everything 2 days ago and have had trouble sleeping since. at least before we had control over what we write on our applications but now its completely out of our hands.

10 minutes ago, Kylar said:

Also just finished submitting and now obsessively checking for receipt of my supporting documents! And enjoying the results of my Steam binge during the Autumn sale.

It's going to be a long few months...

Real question is.. what games did you get?

I didn't want to make a whole new post for this, but here's a request for everyone: post your results on the results page. You don't have to post your stats if it makes you uncomfortable (though it would help), but at the very least it would be super cool if you posted application updates. These give the rest of us a general idea of if we should hold on hope or if we probably aren't going to hear from the department. In my previous application seasons, the results page was a great resource. I'm just encouraging* you all to help it be one for this cycle, too.

*This is a gentle encouragement. I'm not telling anyone that you have to do this, just pointing out that it would be helpful.

is it too early to start thinking about a plan B? 

i was pretty confident before but now that i have submitted everything, i realized that nothing i do for the next few months would matter. perhaps the healthiest way for me is to start planning for the worst so at least ill have something to fall back on.

i have so much respect for people who went through this process multiple times!