The wait begins!

philopsych

On 11/27/2018 at 11:08 AM, sendmeadvice said:

I am still waiting for one of my letter writers to upload some of their letters, but I am honestly more stressed now than I was while I was working on the applications. I feel so restless. 

I'm still waiting too, have you heard back from yours yet? I'm feeling super anxious!

I submitted my applications early November and am just waiting on transcripts and GRE scores to be received... The wait is seriously driving me crazy. I am trying to keep busy with work and school but I think about it almost every second of every day. Let’s just say whatever the decision is... I will cry haha. Rejection will call for cries of being a failure and acceptance will call for cries of absolute SHOCK and pure happiness! Good luck everyone! We got this!

14 hours ago, pgt2018 said:

is it too early to start thinking about a plan B? 

i was pretty confident before but now that i have submitted everything, i realized that nothing i do for the next few months would matter. perhaps the healthiest way for me is to start planning for the worst so at least ill have something to fall back on.

i have so much respect for people who went through this process multiple times!

I think it is a good move. I didn't plan for plan b last year and was stuck in a limbo this year. Id recommend doing something that'll preferably give you money and experience to beef your cv should you not make it this cycle. I ended up doing odd jobs working in a country club and as a bartender while I did an unpaid research internship. My bank and sleep account aren't doing well

16 minutes ago, psychtobeme said:

Just a booked a last minute "stop worrying and have some fun" vacation to distract me from this process! Woo!

:D enjoy!!! After these apps, I am sure you deserve it!!! Where are you headed to? 

44 minutes ago, psychtobeme said:

Denver! We are taking our dogs with us so its a true family vacay!

Wow how awesome :) have a relaxing and much deserved vacation

6 hours ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

I submitted my applications early November and am just waiting on transcripts and GRE scores to be received... The wait is seriously driving me crazy. I am trying to keep busy with work and school but I think about it almost every second of every day. Let’s just say whatever the decision is... I will cry haha. Rejection will call for cries of being a failure and acceptance will call for cries of absolute SHOCK and pure happiness! Good luck everyone! We got this!

Not getting in is NOT a sign of failure. You could be the most impressive applicant ever; but, if the department thinks that you're not a perfect fit, you won't get in. Again, this does not make you a failure. It's just a matter of fit and you'll do better next year (though it's also still possible that you'll kill it this year!! woo!)

4 hours ago, philopsych said:

Not getting in is NOT a sign of failure. You could be the most impressive applicant ever; but, if the department thinks that you're not a perfect fit, you won't get in. Again, this does not make you a failure. It's just a matter of fit and you'll do better next year (though it's also still possible that you'll kill it this year!! woo!)

I really appreciate you saying that. You’re so right. Thanks for being encouraging! 

2 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

Same, but I honestly feel like the most anxiety-inducing part of the semester is over. And I'm graduating this December. ?

Lucky! I'm graduating in the spring but I'll actually be done with all my major and minor requirements after this semester...I'm basically just staying on to finish my honors thesis haha.

4 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Lucky! I'm graduating in the spring but I'll actually be done with all my major and minor requirements after this semester...I'm basically just staying on to finish my honors thesis haha.

Honestly, I'm probably more jealous of you, haha. I'd love to have stayed on to do a honors thesis, but school is expensive, so....  I'll be staying in the area to do research in the dept. though. The grind never really stops with psychology it seems! I don't really mind, it's rewarding to see projects come together and know that I'm moving a little bit closer to my goal every day. Let's hope I can keep the spirit up once the rejections start coming in...applying right out of undergrad is feeling more and more like a disadvantage nowadays. ?

Here you all are:

Data on decisions

This was a project I did last year. It doesn't include results as of this year but the sample is quite high (~35000). Keep in mind it's based on the results survey, so there may be over or under reporting (i.e., people may be more likely to report interviews than waitlists, or acceptances more than rejections) and some other biases.

10 hours ago, Left Skew said:

Here you all are:

Data on decisions

This was a project I did last year. It doesn't include results as of this year but the sample is quite high (~35000). Keep in mind it's based on the results survey, so there may be over or under reporting (i.e., people may be more likely to report interviews than waitlists, or acceptances more than rejections) and some other biases.

Wow. This is quite helpful and informative. It kinda shows that scores are quite variable in terms of how much they matter. Students who got rejected had mean scores higher than those who got accepted. I mean, unless something somehow skewed the data, this is what I infer. Although, more people with higher scores may be applying to more competetive schools than those with lower scores. I love how the dates give me a glimpse of when to start panicking.?.

Thanks tho.

10 hours ago, Left Skew said:

Here you all are:

Data on decisions

What is this........... thing? lol. Did you collect this on your own? I'm a little data nerd and love stuff like this. :) Obviously lots of confounds with self-report data, but still pretty neat to see an aggregate first-look draft at the massive amount of information applicants report on that forum!

1 hour ago, checkingmyemail said:

What is this........... thing? lol. Did you collect this on your own? I'm a little data nerd and love stuff like this. :) Obviously lots of confounds with self-report data, but still pretty neat to see an aggregate first-look draft at the massive amount of information applicants report on that forum!

While this is cool and was probably a lot of work, I'm too scared to look at it lol.

I have 5/7 done, but the other 2 aren't due yet so I get a little breather. I'm only missing 1 LoR for one program, but the online form said it's in progress, so I'm going to trust him. Now I get to focus on finishing the semester :)

39 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

While this is cool and was probably a lot of work, I'm too scared to look at it lol.

It wouldn’t be relevant to the stats applicable to you anyways.. You’re applying to different programs! I rather base my odds on the Student/Outcomes data from specific programs I’m applying to lol

17 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

It wouldn’t be relevant to the stats applicable to you anyways.. You’re applying to different programs! I rather base my odds on the Student/Outcomes data from specific programs I’m applying to lol

Oh, it's not relevant? Okay good. I just saw something about data and decisions and got scared lol.