The wait begins!

philopsych

22 hours ago, Oluwachristabel said:

Wow. This is quite helpful and informative. It kinda shows that scores are quite variable in terms of how much they matter. Students who got rejected had mean scores higher than those who got accepted. I mean, unless something somehow skewed the data, this is what I infer. Although, more people with higher scores may be applying to more competetive schools than those with lower scores. I love how the dates give me a glimpse of when to start panicking.?.

Thanks tho.

Yes, I wouldn't make any inferences based in the GPA and GRE scores. If you notice the black bars (standard errors) overlap on all of them. Good catch. What should make everyone feel better is the fact that perfect scores aren't as common in this data. 

One of the schools that I am applying to has a unique model in which you are required to work with two different professors. I had previously talked to a PI I am interested in, and when I followed up to tell her I had submitted, she explained the model of the department to me and encouraged me to talk to this other PI. I just finished that Skype. 

There were some lulls in the conversation, but I do think that it eventually got to the point where we were both excited about what we were talking about. So overall, I think the meeting went well. I know that for this program they won't send out formal interview invites until late January to early February. Something about this meeting destroyed my confidence, and I just kept cycling through my application deficiencies. 

Wow you people are all ahead of me. I only ever did one Skype and after it I decided I didn't want to apply to the program lol. I might tell this one PI that I was in contact that I applied, but I'm not sure what to say exactly because it's been forever since I reached out....and I actually have not been checking my email that much. I'm busy trying to get myself to write my last final paper of the semester...

I also have two more applications left to submit...one is due the 15th and is basically done and the other is due in January and is for a program that I'm really excited about. It will be weird if I hear back from other programs before I even submit that one...

54 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Wow you people are all ahead of me. I only ever did one Skype and after it I decided I didn't want to apply to the program lol. I might tell this one PI that I was in contact that I applied, but I'm not sure what to say exactly because it's been forever since I reached out....and I actually have not been checking my email that much. I'm busy trying to get myself to write my last final paper of the semester...

This is literally what I wrote, and I sent it too all who replied me. Even if it was just a "you should apply". Cos I contacted them in Oct and to busy faculty that might be a lifetime ago.

Dear Dr. OOO,

I am writing to let you know that I decided to apply to University of BBB and have submitted my application indicating my interest in working with you. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to correspond with me and I look forward to a decision on my application.

Best Regards,
ZZZ

just submitted the final app yesterday, and had a dream that I received rejection emails from all of my schools. I was so amused how terrible my app must've been, to get rejected in less than 24 hours. let's talk about anxieties creeping into the unconscious.... *facepalm*

17 minutes ago, vusdbstjs said:

just submitted the final app yesterday, and had a dream that I received rejection emails from all of my schools. I was so amused how terrible my app must've been, to get rejected in less than 24 hours. let's talk about anxieties creeping into the unconscious.... *facepalm*

Omg I had bad dreams for about two or three nights in a row after submitting my apps.

13 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Omg I had bad dreams for about two or three nights in a row after submitting my apps.

I had recurring dreams about quitting science to become a dairy farmer. Maybe it's a sign.

Good luck to everyone! I'm trying to keep my mind on work, but it's been tough (posting this from the lab...). I've got a screening interview tomorrow and need to pester some programs about what they did with my transcripts/GRE scores, so I'm not totally out of the woods yet.

28 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

I had recurring dreams about quitting science to become a dairy farmer. Maybe it's a sign.

Good luck to everyone! I'm trying to keep my mind on work, but it's been tough (posting this from the lab...). I've got a screening interview tomorrow and need to pester some programs about what they did with my transcripts/GRE scores, so I'm not totally out of the woods yet.

If I don't get into any programs I'll join your farm.

31 minutes ago, brainwrangler said:

LOL this is the best. i was thinking about what i would do if i don't get into any programs this year and a career change might be nice.

4 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

I just made 9 dozen cookies from scratch. That, my friends, is what I call stress baking.

I just baked four dozen! They're for my undergraduate PI... gotta say thank you for the reference letter writing somehow ?