Fall 2019 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

Hi, I am curious what you guys’s Opinion might be on emailing schools (either their grad admin or maybe the psych dept specifically?) to inquire on when they will begin sending out interview invites and when that will close? Is this considered annoying/I just need to be patient? 

I’m wondering because, I only recently found one of my applied schools web portals that details when they start reviewing, when to expect emails for interviews, the date of the interviews, and when you can expect complete rejection. —why can’t all schools do this? It was a revelation because I found out I don’t even need to worry yet about this school bc interview invites don’t even begin until mid-late January (of course there are outliers but this was a great general timetable i found that I could rely on) 

Edited by psychclin

13 minutes ago, psychclin said:

Hi, I am curious what you guys’s Opinion might be on emailing schools (either their grad admin or maybe the psych dept specifically?) to inquire on when they will begin sending out interview invites and when that will close? Is this considered annoying/I just need to be patient? 

I’m wondering because, I only recently found one of my applied schools web portals that details when they start reviewing, when to expect emails for interviews, the date of the interviews, and when you can expect complete rejection. —why can’t all schools do this? It was a revelation because I found out I don’t even need to worry yet about this school bc interview invites don’t even begin until mid-late January (of course there are outliers but this was a great general timetable i found that I could rely on) 

Just call. That way there isn't a permanent record of your impatience in someone's inbox. 

Be sure to post here when you do, thanks <3

I emailed all of my programs to ask point blank. I told them that I work a job that requires a month's worth of availability ahead of time and I wanted to block out the dates just in case. (Which is true, I wasn't just making that up lol)

Edited by dancedementia

3 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

I emailed all of my programs to ask point blank.

I did this for 2 programs. I had nothing to lose and just needed confirmation that I was rejected (after seeing all the results pop up incessantly) vs. waiting on an invite that was clearly never coming in the first place LOL.

Rejected, mourned for half of a day, and now I moved on. Just do it folks, f@&k it!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

I emailed all of my programs to ask point blank. I told them that I work a job that requires a month's worth of availability ahead of time and I wanted to block out the dates just in case. (Which is true, I wasn't just making that up lol)

Have you heard anything back yet? For the good or the bad?

17 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Almost all of them replied and I've posted all of the info I've gleaned on the Google spreadsheet :)

Could I ask if you have that google link handy you could post here? 

Edited by psychclin

1 minute ago, psychclin said:

Could I ask if you have that google link handy you could post here? 

If not, I will try and remember where I last saw it and will edit to post beneath this sentence. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8/edit#gid=0

One more question for you guys (I apologize! I am just now realizing that I sadly put a lot of stock in potential POI's who were up in the air on if they could take students bc of funding) if my main POI I mentioned in my PS is for sure now (after updating her website recently) is saying he/she will not be able to take students after all, does this mean I will automatically put at the bottom of list if not rejected out right? Or will they try and see if I can fit with other potential mentors? I havent heard back from this school yet (and to their defense they have not --from what it seems here-- sent out many interview invites yet) but I am worried I shot myself in the foot hoping their funding would come out in my favor.

Edited by psychclin

9 hours ago, ClinPsych2019 said:

Has anyone who applied to the Depaul Clinical-Community track, heard anything yet? I've seen a post for the child track, so didn't know if community had been sent out as well.

I applied to the community track and have received an email interview invite this morning. But i’m not sure if they sent out all invites yet. Good luck!

54 minutes ago, psychclin said:

One more question for you guys (I apologize! I am just now realizing that I sadly put a lot of stock in potential POI's who were up in the air on if they could take students bc of funding) if my main POI I mentioned in my PS is for sure now (after updating her website recently) is saying he/she will not be able to take students after all, does this mean I will automatically put at the bottom of list if not rejected out right? Or will they try and see if I can fit with other potential mentors? I havent heard back from this school yet (and to their defense they have not --from what it seems here-- sent out many interview invites yet) but I am worried I shot myself in the foot hoping their funding would come out in my favor.

Yeah. Your chances are lower. I've been invited by secondary POIs before, but I have a feeling that's relatively rare.

5 minutes ago, 21ny14 said:

Yeah. Your chances are lower. I've been invited by secondary POIs before, but I have a feeling that's relatively rare.

Were the secondary POI interviews you received because you guys had related research interests, or were they random? 

Just now, psychclin said:

Were the secondary POI interviews you received because you guys had related research interests, or were they random? 

Related. I listed them, but after a sentence like, 

"I also would like to...

*1-2 sentences for match*

v.s. paragraph of match for main POI

19 hours ago, psychapplicant500 said:

School: SDSU/UCSD JDP

Type: PhD 

Date of invite: 01/16/2019

Type of invite: Phone call from POI

Interview date(s): February 11-12

Can those that received an interview invite from SDSU/UCSD JDP please DM me PI info? Congrats and thank you!

37 minutes ago, 21ny14 said:

Can those that received an interview invite from SDSU/UCSD JDP please DM me PI info? Congrats and thank you!

me too please! congrats everyone! 

also just a reminder there's a separate page for POI requests:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/114854-poi-requests-for-clinical-psychology-phd-fall-2019/?page=5 

Edited by rl12345

2 hours ago, rl12345 said:

me too please! congrats everyone! 

also just a reminder there's a separate page for POI requests:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/114854-poi-requests-for-clinical-psychology-phd-fall-2019/?page=5 

Is this thread not kind of redundant? If you get an interview, you're more likely to see requests in this thread. 

4 minutes ago, ihatedis said:

Is this thread not kind of redundant? If you get an interview, you're more likely to see requests in this thread. 

It is, lol. I posted on that thread saying the exact same thing. The fact that I was reminded of that thread is super ironic because it proves that no one reads that shit.