Fall 2019 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

On 2/21/2019 at 3:16 PM, SugarAndPsych said:

Anyone heard from Wayne State post-interview? Haven’t seen anything go up on the results thread and I’m starting to get nervous 

Hey, from what I recall, on interview day they said that they would all meet Feb 25 (today) and make a decision shortly after. So we should be hearing something back from them this week!

So I had an interview and during the entire weekend, my POI spent the most time with me out of all of her candidates by far and kept telling me I’m a good fit for the lab. She sent me an email yesterday stating that I wasn’t accepted because I didn’t have enough research experience. Interview weekend went perfectly for me and she acknowledged that in the email as well. Anyone have thoughts on this? I’m just confused because if my research experience was a fundamental issue, why was I even invited to interview?  she already knew my experience from my application. Also, I’m a POC- could I just have been at interview weekend as a diverse candidate so the interviewee pool didn’t look so white?

4 hours ago, ninjasub2 said:

Also, I’m a POC- could I just have been at interview weekend as a diverse candidate so the interviewee pool didn’t look so white?

This is so unfortunate but I feel like this happens much more frequently than we think. I am also a woman, POC, and felt this exact way at two interviews.
On the other hand, it could have been the case this PI did actually advocate for you, but perhaps the committee/other faculty turned you down due to the lack of experience (in comparison to choices #2-4, or whatever the alternate list was).

Hang in there. It's a crappy feeling for sure.

Edited by xxxxxxxxxx

9 hours ago, ninjasub2 said:

So I had an interview and during the entire weekend, my POI spent the most time with me out of all of her candidates by far and kept telling me I’m a good fit for the lab. She sent me an email yesterday stating that I wasn’t accepted because I didn’t have enough research experience. Interview weekend went perfectly for me and she acknowledged that in the email as well. Anyone have thoughts on this? I’m just confused because if my research experience was a fundamental issue, why was I even invited to interview?  she already knew my experience from my application. Also, I’m a POC- could I just have been at interview weekend as a diverse candidate so the interviewee pool didn’t look so white?

That stuff happens all the time.

Acceptances speak louder than invitations -- even if they claim to have a diversity initiative, just look at grad student demographics. This entire field, higher-tier programs especially, is dominated by white people who come from elite institutions. Even the POC generally have great educations or well off parents.

That said, there's no good proof of discrimination, just admitted student demographics. Anyone sending in an application gives admissions councils so many areas they can disqualify you for. 

Their favorite and first one to offer is usually, 'other applicants have slightly better research fit' -- lol, as though that wasn't apparent in the CV + personal statement.

Edited by 41l1!I2

12 hours ago, 41l1!I2 said:

That stuff happens all the time.

Acceptances speak louder than invitations -- even if they claim to have a diversity initiative, just look at grad student demographics. This entire field, higher-tier programs especially, is dominated by white people who come from elite institutions. Even the POC generally have great educations or well off parents.

That said, there's no good proof of discrimination, just admitted student demographics. Anyone sending in an application gives admissions councils so many areas they can disqualify you for. 

Their favorite and first one to offer is usually, 'other applicants have slightly better research fit' -- lol, as though that wasn't apparent in the CV + personal statement.

Considering how well all 6 of my interviews went... I’m thinking I wasn’t ever really being considered since the beginning.

10 minutes ago, ninjasub2 said:

Considering how well all 6 of my interviews went... I’m thinking I wasn’t ever really being considered since the beginning.

Same. Doesn't matter how well you think it went. All of my interviews went extremely well. You're pre-ranked and there's often very little you can do to jump ranks unless you're charming af and your swagger is on a hundred thousand trillion

11 minutes ago, ninjasub2 said:

They wouldn't of wasted their time inviting you to interview if you weren't being considered. I can't speak to this specific university but most programs want diversity in their incoming cohort, not interview weekend. There's a lot of reason why people aren't given offers, despite having all their interviews go really well. Everyone who's invited to interviews is qualified for a spot in the program and a lot of times faculty have to split hairs to actually choose who the best person is. A lot of times it can come down to, "Can I see myself working with this person for the rest of my and their career?" so your personality fit with your mentor can be just as important as research fit. 

I am also a POC and was rejected after my very first interview; which I was surprised by because I thought it went really well and was a good fit. This really brought me down and made me question and doubt myself so much going into the other interviews. It especially made me question whether they only brought me in to interview because of my race/ethnicity, given that they currently have any student of my same background. But then I received an acceptance from the second school I interviewed for! And it’s a top choice!

All of this to say, not all schools are in it for “diversity appearance”. Plus, if appearance is really their goal, would you really want to go to a school that won’t appreciate you for you in gr first place?

6 minutes ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

They wouldn't of wasted their time inviting you to interview if you weren't being considered. I can't speak to this specific university but most programs want diversity in their incoming cohort, not interview weekend. There's a lot of reason why people aren't given offers, despite having all their interviews go really well. Everyone who's invited to interviews is qualified for a spot in the program and a lot of times faculty have to split hairs to actually choose who the best person is. A lot of times it can come down to, "Can I see myself working with this person for the rest of my and their career?" so your personality fit with your mentor can be just as important as research fit. 

Yeah. Ton of reasons. Splitting hairs. It's difficult to prove. I just hope you realize 'personality fit' is largely determined by race/ethnicity and culture. And it's clear what type of 'personality' is desirable.

10 hours ago, 1|]010ls10o said:

Same. Doesn't matter how well you think it went. All of my interviews went extremely well. You're pre-ranked and there's often very little you can do to jump ranks unless you're charming af and your swagger is on a hundred thousand trillion

I think that’s actually a good point, from what I know of faculty now

On 1/28/2019 at 5:42 PM, GDW said:

School: Nova Southeastern University

Type: Clinical Psychology PhD

Date of Invite: 01/28/2019

Type of Invite: Mass email

Interview Date(s): Monday, February 18th 2019, 8.30 AM to 4.00 PM. Faculty individual, faculty group, and student interviews. No POI.

I received an email yesterday from my POI (established during interview day) with an informal offer.

Got the formal offer today and accepted. I didn't apply to any other schools.

8 minutes ago, hannahbanana321 said:

Has anyone received a formal acceptance from University of Cincinnati for clinical psych? I received an informal phone call from my POI last week but haven't gotten anything official yet. 

Were you the one who posted on the results page with mentor QM a couple weeks ago? I’d sent my POI a thank you email a few days after interviews and only received a response a couple of days ago; the response didn’t imply that she had selected anyone yet. 

This is a genereal question for anyone that was accepted into a program this year:

what were your GRE scores?

how many years and what kind of research experience did you have?

any publications or independent projects?

trying to plan so I definitely make it in next cycle ?

1 minute ago, ninjasub2 said:

This is a genereal question for anyone that was accepted into a program this year:

what were your GRE scores?

how many years and what kind of research experience did you have?

any publications or independent projects?

trying to plan so I definitely make it in next cycle ?

GRE was 161V, 170Q, 5 AW. No psych GRE.

I had about 3-4 years of varying research experience, including an empirical masters that is in prep for publication and was presented at a national conference. I had experience at all steps of the research process though, so if you need more research experience, look for quality over quantity (1 year helping out at various stages of the research project looks better than 2 years data entry)

17 hours ago, hannahbanana321 said:

Has anyone received a formal acceptance from University of Cincinnati for clinical psych? I received an informal phone call from my POI last week but haven't gotten anything official yet. 

Yes same here! I’ve received an informal call but not yet a formal letter. On the edge of my seat!