Materials Science and Engineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

Hi all!!

I noticed there were a decent amount of people on here applying for MSE graduate degrees, so I figured I would make this. Good luck to everyone!

Use the template below to plug in your applicant information:

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): 

Major(s): 
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: x.xx/4.00
Overall GPA: x.xx/4.00
Demographics/Background: 

GRE Scores:
Q: xxx (xx%)
V: xxx (xx%)
W: x.x (xx%)

LOR: 

Research Experience: 

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations:

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Fellowships/Funding:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments:

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):

Research Interests:

Institutions/Programs:

Comments:

I will go first! Just as an FYI, most of the programs I am applying to are in biomedical engineering. However, my background is in MSE and some of the programs I am interested are still in this major. Additionally, I did my undergrad at NC State, so if anyone wants to learn anything about that school, their MSE department, and/or Raleigh, NC, feel free to ask me.

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): a leading public research (heavily focused in STEM) university located on the east coast/south, ranked in the Top 25 Engineering Schools in 2019 according to US NEWS

Major(s): Materials Science and Engineering
Minor(s): Biomaterials concentration
GPA in Major: 4.00/4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Demographics/Background: Hispanic/Latina, from a lower middle class family (resulting in occasional financial difficulties and many loans for undergraduate), one of my parents immigrated from Venezuela, grew up on college campuses (my mother is a university professor)

GRE Scores:
Q: 157 (65%)
V: 152 (56%)
W: 4.0 (59%)

*I know these scores aren't the greatest. I really suck at standardized tests and don't have the finances/desire to retake it*

LOR: Two letters from professors I had classes with (one of the professors I also did research with and the other professor I connected with before taking their class through a research program they run that I was participant of) and a letter from a supervisor I did a summer internship with last year

Research Experience: A little over a year of research = 9 months of undergraduate research with the same PI (research on materials used to improve electrochemical processes) + 10 week summer research experience at a university in Australia (research on a ceramic material used for refrigeration applications) +10 week summer internship at NASA (research on growing graphene for gas sensor development)

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: Two poster presentations at state-wide conferences for NASA research, poster presentation for materials science and engineering senior design project at my university's undergraduate research symposium

• Received travel grant to visit University of Michigan
  • Valedictorian of my graduating class
  • Outstanding senior award in my department
  • Best senior design paper award in my department
  • Semester Dean's List for seven semesters (didn't get it for my last semester because I wasn't a full time student)
  • Received for four one-time scholarships in the past four years.

Fellowships/Funding: Applied for NSF GRFP and GEM Fellowship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I know it is recommended to not discuss activities done before undergrad but I did a summer internship at Jefferson Lab, a national accelerator facility, when I was in high school that exposed me to the world of research/helped me discover that I want to be a researcher

Research Interests: Broad interest are biomaterials, tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, wound healing, and drug delivery; more narrow interests are using polymeric scaffolds for tissue growth/regeneration

Institutions/Programs:

• University of Delaware
  • Boston University
  • University of Connecticut

• 3 weeks later...

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): An Indian university (Not research intensive)

Major(s): Physics 
Minor(s): Materials Science
Overall GPA: 3.32/4.00
Demographics/Background: An Indian, from a middleclass background

GRE Scores:
Q: 162 (80%)
V: 161 (88%)
W: 4.5 (82%)

LOR: 3 Professor(s) 1st  from Masters project guide, and 2nd from my internship mentor, from one of the best universities from India, 

Research Experience:  almost 1.5 years at the chemical x-ray crystallography laboratory - metal-nucleotide complexes, masters project , took graduate coursework

Greater than 6 months internship , Raman spectroscopy instrumentation, Fluorescence spectroscopy, NO PUBLICATIONS

1 International Presentation

Runner up for a PhD program at Royal Institute of technology, Sweden 

Fellowships/Funding:

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):  Employee NGO for science promotion activities

uni

Research Interests:

Spectroscopy  Photonic materials

Electronic Materials 

Ultrafast science

Institutions/Programs: U virginia MSE, rensselaer polytechnic institute MSE (May be) , UMich Applied Physics (Maybe ), Rice University MSE (May be)

USC (Chemistry Chemical Physics) - Applied

Uni Illinois at chicago (Chemistry) - Applied

Uni of Wisconsin Milwaukee (Physics) - Applied

Oregon State (Physics) -Applied

Uni Arizona (Chemistry Chemical Physics) - applied

Uni Rochester (Optics) -Applying

Michigan Tech (Applied Physics) -Applying

I am not sure about the first line of universities, are they too much beyond reach, since I have NO Publications, Could anyone help? Especially Rice, And UMICH

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 11:29 PM, swathi kumar said:

I am not sure about the first line of universities, are they too much beyond reach, since I have NO Publications, Could anyone help? Especially Rice, And UMICH 

I think the schools you listed first aren't too much beyond reach. Yeah, you have no publications, but if the other aspects of your application are good (GRE scores, LORs, research experience, statement(s), GPA), then I think you should give them at try, at least the ones you are really interested in! Your GRE scores are great, your GPA is good, you have extensive research experience, and your LORs seem good too! Give it a go! Good luck!

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM):  Top 10 Public, research heavy 

Major(s): Materials Science with Nanotechnology focus
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.90/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.77/4.00
Demographics/Background: Asian American

GRE Scores:
Q: 167 (91%)
V: 158 (80%)
W: 4.5 (82%)

LOR: 2 Professors, 1 I’ve been working with for 3 years now. Should be very good. Other professor is an advisor for a project I am leading. 1 letter from the CEO of the startup where I interned.

Research Experience: 3 years of undergraduate research, 1 REU, 1 Research based internship at a startup 

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 5th Author publication, poster at undergraduate research symposium 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Tau Beta Pi, Provost’s Honors every quarter 

Fellowships/Funding: Applied for NSF GRFP

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: R&D internship at highly relevant startup

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):

Research Interests: Electrochemistry, Characterization, Energy Storage

Institutions/Programs:

Applied to: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Northwestern, UMichigan, Cornell, MIT, Georgia Tech (all MatSci)

Comments:

Didn’t really apply to any safeties since I figured that I would get a job and revisit the idea of grad school if I don’t get in anywhere.

Edited by matscigradapp

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): Arizona State University (ranked 20-40 program, good research institution)

Major(s): Materials Science and Engineering
Overall GPA: 3.97/4.00
Demographics/Background: White 1st gen American

GRE Scores:
Q: 170 (99%)
V: 170 (96%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: 2 professors (1 that I have done research with) that know me well, 1 employer from the industry

Research Experience: 1 year in chemical engineering lab, 1 year in physical chemistry lab, 6+ months in a materials science lab

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 1 journal paper published but it was over 3 years ago; poster presentation at MS&T conference; will give an oral presentation at MRS in April

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: dean's list

Fellowships/Funding: did not apply for NSF-GRFP (this is a weakness in my application)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: worked in the semiconductor industry in a characterization lab for 2 years

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: president of Material Advantage

Research Interests: Energy Materials, Functional Materials (including soft materials)

Institutions/Programs: MSE PhD only

Applied: MIT, Northwestern, UC Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, Drexel, Lehigh

Accepted: UC Santa Barbara, Georgia Tech, U Michigan, U Maryland-College Park

8 hours ago, benmaterials said:

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): Arizona State University (ranked 20-40 program, good research institution)

Overall GPA: 3.97/4.00
Demographics/Background: White 1st gen American

GRE Scores:
Q: 170 (99%)
V: 170 (96%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: 2 professors (1 that I have done research with) that know me well, 1 employer from the industry

Research Experience: 1 year in chemical engineering lab, 1 year in physical chemistry lab, 6+ months in a materials science lab

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 1 journal paper published but it was over 3 years ago; poster presentation at MS&T conference; will give an oral presentation at MRS in April

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: dean's list

Fellowships/Funding: did not apply for NSF-GRFP (this is a weakness in my application)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: worked in the semiconductor industry in a characterization lab for 2 years

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: president of Material Advantage

Research Interests: Energy Materials, Functional Materials (including soft materials)

Institutions/Programs: MSE PhD only

Applied: MIT, Northwestern, UC Berkeley, Stanford, Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, UT Austin, Drexel, Lehigh

Accepted: UC Santa Barbara, Georgia Tech, U Michigan, U Maryland-College Park

Nice profile! I don’t think you will have any problems with getting into your other schools since you have already been accepted into quite a few and your application is amazing. Good luck with everything! 

5 hours ago, benmaterials said:

Thanks @Moods for creating this thread.  I'm rooting for you!  How's life in Raleigh?

No prob! And Raleigh was an awesome place to live. Sadly don’t live there anymore after graduating. I know it is probably past the deadline, but the MSE department is pretty awesome at NC State, just FYI. The only reason I am not applying there is because I think it’s good to explore new places. I am rooting for you too! 

Undergrad Institution: Caltech
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): (we didn't have minors, but I almost finished the math major)
GPA in Major: 3.88
Overall GPA: 3.86
Position in Class: top-ish
Type of Student: dwm

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 170
V: 170
W: 6
Physics: 990 

Research ExperienceOne year of research at a national lab after graduation, in computational soft matter physics. Paper under review, not close to first author. 

Special Bonus Points: I took a bunch of graduate classes in physics and grad/UG cross-listed classes in physics and math. One of my recommendations comes from a very famous planetary scientist, and I think it will be very strong.

Applying to where:

Only one MS/MSE school! 

Harvard SEAS - Applied Physics (Biophysics/materials/fluids)

Undergrad/Grad Institution (combined 5 year B.S/M.S program) : University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Minor(s): German
Undergrad GPA in Major: 3.46/4.00
Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.46/4.00              Grad GPA: 3.80/4.0
Demographics/Background: US born South Asian woman

GRE Scores:
Q: 163
V: 165
W: 4.0

LOR: 1 from University Prof with whom did research during my Masters year, 1 from Fulrbright research supervisor (10 month research), and 1 from current boss at National Lab (1 yr of research)

Research Experience: Research throughout undergrad and Masters year with 2 diff groups (no thesis), NSF REU at Northwestern, 10 months research at Solid State materials Institute in Germany through Fulbright Scholarship, Currently doing research at Los Alamos National Lab (1yr)

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations2 publications - 1 experimental from undergrad (3rd author), 1 theory from work at LANL (2nd author)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: University scholarships, Fulbright Research Grant

Fellowships/Funding: None (did not apply due to lower GPA and GRE scores)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Current Job at LANL. 

Research Interests: Optoelectronics and Photonics, 2D nanomaterials (all my research experiences have been in these areas)

Institutions/Programs: MSE PhD programs at: UPenn, Penn State, Cornell, NCSU, UW Madison, Minnosota, UC San Diego, Columbia, Brown, Boston University, RPI, Ohio State (will apply), UPitt (will apply), Northwestern (stretch), UIUC (stretch), UCSB (stretch) 

Comments: Nervous about my lower GPA and GRE scores. Given my stats and the fact that I've applied to most programs pretty close to the deadline, I'm not sure if I will hear back anytime soon. Wondering if I should have applied to more safeties? Really hope something will work out! Good Luck to Everyone! 

•  
Edited by skmse

1 hour ago, skmse said:

Undergrad/Grad Institution (combined 5 year B.S/M.S program) : University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.46/4.00              Grad GPA3.80/4.0

GRE Scores:

LOR: 1 from University Prof with whom did research during my Masters year, 1 from Fulrbright research supervisor (10 month research), and 1 from current boss at National Lab (1 yr of research)

Research Experience: Research throughout undergrad and Masters year with 2 diff groups (no thesis), NSF REU at Northwestern, 10 months research at Solid State materials Institute in Germany through Fulbright Scholarship, Currently doing research at Los Alamos National Lab (1yr)

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations2 publications - 1 experimental from undergrad (3rd author), 1 theory from work at LANL (2nd author)

Research Interests: Optoelectronics and Photonics, 2D nanomaterials (all my research experiences have been in these areas)

Institutions/Programs: MSE PhD programs at: UPenn, Penn State, Cornell, NCSU, UW Madison, Minnosota, UC San Diego, Columbia, Brown, Boston University, RPI, Ohio State (will apply), UPitt (will apply), Northwestern (stretch), UIUC (stretch), UCSB (stretch) 

Comments: Nervous about my lower GPA and GRE scores. Given my stats and the fact that I've applied to most programs pretty close to the deadline, I'm not sure if I will hear back anytime soon. Wondering if I should have applied to more safeties? Really hope something will work out! Good Luck to Everyone! 

•   

You should be competitive at all of the schools you listed.  I don't think you need to apply to any more safeties.  First round of acceptances/rejections for Minnesota, UCSB, UIUC, and Cornell went out last week, so if you haven't heard back, you're still in contention.  I'm not sure how schools assess GPA, but your GPA has improvement in your masters year, and I think that will cancel out any negative effect.  Keep me posted if you hear back, so I can see if we're going to the same recruitment weekends :)

On 1/14/2019 at 11:54 PM, kronotsky said:

Undergrad Institution: Caltech
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): (we didn't have minors, but I almost finished the math major)
GPA in Major: 3.88
Overall GPA: 3.86
Position in Class: top-ish
Type of Student: dwm

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 170
V: 170
W: 6
Physics: 990 

Research ExperienceOne year of research at a national lab after graduation, in computational soft matter physics. Paper under review, not close to first author. 

Special Bonus Points: I took a bunch of graduate classes in physics and grad/UG cross-listed classes in physics and math. One of my recommendations comes from a very famous planetary scientist, and I think it will be very strong.

Applying to where:

Only one MS/MSE school! 

Harvard SEAS - Applied Physics (Biophysics/materials/fluids)

You totally got this! I mean, your GRE scores are perfect. You have a great GPA. You have research experience and a paper with your name on it, even if it is not close to first author. A famous planetary scientist is writing one of letters, which could only benefit your application. You application is awesome, so good luck and I hope you get in! If you don't, it would be their loss.

1 hour ago, skmse said:

Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.46/4.00              Grad GPA: 3.80/4.0

GRE Scores:

•  

Your applications looks great!! I second what @benmaterials said. Your GPA and GRE scores are a lot better than you think. You should look at my GRE scores. They are nowhere near as good as yours and I have been getting some phone/Skype interviews with people. So, try to keep your head up. Also, you have tons of amazing research experience in various places. You are also working at LANL, which is my dream job and is super amazing! You have two publications. You did research internationally, which is a bonus. Also, it's cool that you studied German! I think all the places you are applied to you have a good change in getting in and you don't need to apply to any safety schools. If you want to learn more about NC State, just let me know! Good luck!

ndergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): An Indian university (Not research intensive)

GRE Scores:

LOR: 3 Professor(s) 1st  from Masters project guide, and 2nd from my internship mentor, from one of the best universities from India, 

Research Experience:  almost 1.5 years at the chemical x-ray crystallography laboratory - metal-nucleotide complexes, masters project , took graduate coursework

Greater than 6 months internship , Raman spectroscopy instrumentation, Fluorescence spectroscopy, NO PUBLICATIONS

Fellowships/Funding:

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):  Employee NGO for science promotion activities

uni

Research Interests:

Electronic Materials 

Ultrafast science

Institutions/Programs:  

USC (Chemistry Chemical Physics) - Applied

Uni Illinois at chicago (Chemistry) - Applied

Uni of Wisconsin Milwaukee (Physics) - Applied

Oregon State (Physics) -Applied

Uni Arizona (Chemistry Chemical Physics) - applied ACCEPTED

Uni Rochester (Optics) - Applied

Michigan Tech (Applied Physics) - Applied 

U virginia MSE - Applied 

UMich Applied Physics - Applied 

Rice University MSE - Applied 

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): An Indian university (Not research intensive)

GRE Scores:

Fellowships/Funding:

uni

Research Interests:

Electronic Materials 

Ultrafast science

Institutions/Programs: 

APPLIED (11)  - U virginia (MSE), UMich (Applied Physics), Rice University ( MSE) USC (Chemistry Chemical Physics), Uni Illinois at chicago (Chemistry)

Uni of Wisconsin Milwaukee (Physics) Oregon State (Physics)  Uni Arizona (Chemistry Chemical Physics) Uni Rochester (Optics)  Michigan Tech (Applied Physics),

Florida State University (Physics)

ACCEPTED - Uni Arizona

On 1/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, benmaterials said:

You should be competitive at all of the schools you listed.  I don't think you need to apply to any more safeties.  First round of acceptances/rejections for Minnesota, UCSB, UIUC, and Cornell went out last week, so if you haven't heard back, you're still in contention.  I'm not sure how schools assess GPA, but your GPA has improvement in your masters year, and I think that will cancel out any negative effect.  Keep me posted if you hear back, so I can see if we're going to the same recruitment weekends :)

Will do, thanks @benmaterials! Good luck!

On 1/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, Moods said:

Your applications looks great!! I second what @benmaterials said. Your GPA and GRE scores are a lot better than you think. You should look at my GRE scores. They are nowhere near as good as yours and I have been getting some phone/Skype interviews with people. So, try to keep your head up. Also, you have tons of amazing research experience in various places. You are also working at LANL, which is my dream job and is super amazing! You have two publications. You did research internationally, which is a bonus. Also, it's cool that you studied German! I think all the places you are applied to you have a good change in getting in and you don't need to apply to any safety schools. If you want to learn more about NC State, just let me know! Good luck!

Thank you @Moods! Your application profile looks great too, good luck! :)

Edited by skmse

Hi people! 

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): Top 5 public, prestigious for both physics and MSE

Overall GPA: 3.48/4.00
Demographics/Background: US citizen, female

GRE Scores:
Q: 160 (74%) 
V: 154 (84%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: 2 Professors & 1 staff scientist (national lab) all from different research projects, though one prof is from research project in a different STEM field. 

Research Experience:  2 years research experience.

current project (2 years long): materials characterization using tomography, writing first author paper on this project but not published yet.

current project(2 years long): non-related STEM field project (started before i decided my career path)

1 REU this past summer, very energy materials focused super relevant

4 presentations (posters not at major conferences except for one)

1st author paper in progress

publications for non-related STEM project. 6th author on one (submitted), others much lower on author list (submitted).

Prestigious scholarship for women in science at my home institution.

Best poster presentation award 

Fellowships/Funding:

applied for NSF GRFP

2 part time jobs (non related)

lots of diversity in STEM outreach!

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):  have contacted some profs (met/skyped with 2) but no promises!

Research Interests:

Energy materials

Institutions/Programs:  all MSE PhD's 

APPLIED (12)  - Northwestern, Berkeley, UCSB, UCLA, UCSD, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Uni of Washingtion, Oxford, EPFL 

didn't apply to safeties but hoping for at least one... will let you guys know

Edited by mseapplicant

On 1/17/2019 at 5:24 PM, matscigradapp said:

@benmaterials when did you hear from GT and UMich? Still anxiously waiting...

GA Tech in December, and UMich around Jan 9.  UMich has already had a couple rounds of acceptances and there will likely be more.  GA Tech second round should be at the end of January.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, mseapplicant said:

Hi people! 

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): Top 5 public, prestigious for both physics and MSE

Overall GPA: 3.48/4.00
Demographics/Background: US citizen, female

GRE Scores:
Q: 160 (74%) 
V: 154 (84%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: 2 Professors & 1 staff scientist (national lab) all from different research projects, though one prof is from research project in a different STEM field. 

Research Experience:  2 years research experience.

current project (2 years long): materials characterization using tomography, writing first author paper on this project but not published yet.

current project(2 years long): non-related STEM field project (started before i decided my career path)

1 REU this past summer, very energy materials focused super relevant

4 presentations (posters not at major conferences except for one)

1st author paper in progress

publications for non-related STEM project. 6th author on one (submitted), others much lower on author list (submitted).

Prestigious scholarship for women in science at my home institution.

Best poster presentation award 

Fellowships/Funding:

applied for NSF GRFP

2 part time jobs (non related)

lots of diversity in STEM outreach!

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.):  have contacted some profs (met/skyped with 2) but no promises!

Research Interests:

Energy materials

Institutions/Programs:  all MSE PhD's 

APPLIED (12)  - Northwestern, Berkeley, UCSB, UCLA, UCSD, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Uni of Washingtion, Oxford, EPFL 

didn't apply to safeties but hoping for at least one... will let you guys know

Your profile looks great! I hope all goes well for you, and yes, please let us know where you end up going! Also, just curious, what kind of energy materials do you want to study?