2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

3 minutes ago, _kb said:

Just got an interview with MIT (bcs)!!! I got an email from a POI and they said official emails will come out soon! 

Dates are March 7-8. Pretty stoked 

Yay! Glad to hear they're still coming out!

Just now, blackprodigy said:

For Vandy they have 3 dates...they're just sending out invites. They're gonna send me a follow up email tonight or tomorrow and I'll share the dates so you can prioritize!

IGP or neuro? do you think the dates are the same?

5 minutes ago, k8e said:

IGP or neuro? do you think the dates are the same?

This is IGP...the umbrella program that encompasses neuro. They will ask for your specific interests on the phone to match you with faculty interviews. You can rotate in any of their 12 disciplines. So yes, I believe they will be the same! 

1 minute ago, blackprodigy said:

This is IGP...the umbrella program that encompasses neuro. They will ask for your specific interests on the phone to match you with faculty interviews. You can rotate in any of their 12 disciplines. So yes, I believe they will be the same! 

oh ok i'm just wondering because I applied through the NGP. so im wondering if I should be on the lookout for a call rn.. but probably not since it's different programs.

Just got an email that I was invited to interview with OHSU Behavioral Neuroscience program! Which is weird, because I'm pretty sure I applied to the Neuroscience Graduate Program, which is a different department? But either way, I'm excited!!! 

43 minutes ago, k8e said:

oh ok i'm just wondering because I applied through the NGP. so im wondering if I should be on the lookout for a call rn.. but probably not since it's different programs.

I'm sure it's just different avenues to the same destination! Hopefully you get one this week! They said they're just starting.

20 minutes ago, Ntwadumela said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard (PiN) yet? I heard from someone that they were supposed to send out their invites today, but I haven't seen anything on the results pages yet

I haven't heard yet. I bet it will be sometime in the next day or two. Students start their winter break tomorrow but admins are still working.

3 hours ago, veileddreamer said:

I actually think they called all the CNAP applicants, as I got a call too and that was the only Duke program I applied to (I am a social neuroscientist). Very exciting phone call! I definitely did a happy dance!

see you during interview weekend! :)

1 hour ago, Ntwadumela said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard (PiN) yet? I heard from someone that they were supposed to send out their invites today, but I haven't seen anything on the results pages yet

One of their teaching fellows told me that Harvard met today and is sending admissions tomorrow. 

58 minutes ago, earsnbrains said:

see you during interview weekend! :)

Yes indeed! I know you must be so excited too! Do you / does anyone here know what your odds are like getting an interview for CNAP? Like ratio of interviewees to admissions offers they're prepared to make?

I told myself I wouldn’t return here until after this week was over but not knowing if I was rejected was worse than getting rejected ...

anyways, sorry guys I’m the awful person that started the rumor that Harvard would send results today but thanks to the other person who clearest things up (apparently it’s tomorrow). 

I also chatted with a few friends who previously were at UW neuro and served on admissions committees and they both said that UW sends all their interviews all at once (and it looks like it was this past weekend). If it makes anyone feel better, I got rejected and am a current graduate student there (MS in Applied Math), spoke to three faculty including one who would “put in a good word for me”, and have two of my letter writers as faculty there. Congrats to everyone that got an interview! If this is you, I’ve got some good info about their program! All positive things of course (it was one of my top choices after all).

6 hours ago, Compneuronerd said:

Thanks. I asked in the office and they said they are most likely done sending out invites for Duke Neurobiology 

Sorry to hear that :( read my most recent comment about me getting rejected from UW which I hope will cheer you up. I had two friends who was rejected from UW despite being pretty big in the department; one ended up at Oxford and the other is at MIT. UW seems to pay close attention to fit more than most (because they’re one of the most popular and well-funded programs) so it probably wasn’t anything personal. I was big on dimensionality reduction using high-throughout imaging modalities which made me a match for only the Allen Institute and one PI who’s pretty much an Allen’s institute employee (and one other faculty but he’s not there yet).

57 minutes ago, light1996 said:

I have a question. Did all the schools for which you got an interview list your application as "under review" first? Or do they not necessarily say that?

I haven't run across one that does. It'll say app completed or ready for review. Vanderbilt IGP explicitly states that your status will not change online. Some others may, so check their FAQs.

56 minutes ago, light1996 said:

I have a question. Did all the schools for which you got an interview list your application as "under review" first? Or do they not necessarily say that?

I think most of mines said "submitted". I don't think "in review" signals anything though.

Okay thanks guys! When I got an interview for one, I never saw it say that it was under review first. But another one of my applications currently says "under review" so I was wondering if that means anything important because it used to just say "submitted." It's for UCSD and I've noticed them on the results page a lot.

Edited by light1996

8 hours ago, light1996 said:

Okay thanks guys! When I got an interview for one, I never saw it say that it was under review first. But another one of my applications currently says "under review" so I was wondering if that means anything important because it used to just say "submitted." It's for UCSD and I've noticed them on the results page a lot.

Which program at UCSD did you get an interview for?