2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

2 hours ago, applicant09 said:

Ah okay, thank you so much for letting me know! And congratulations on your interview!

Did they give you any indication of how many people they were choosing to interview?

Thanks!

Thank you! And no they didn't unfortunately ? 

5 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

I just got one from UCSD Neuro as well!!! Super excited since I know they only have spots for very few international students!!

So I have the same question about the time conflicts... I know Stanford Neuro sets their interview dates for 2/27-3/3 (which is super super long omg..) and I'm not sure what to do now... Stanford probably won't send out invitations until mid to late-Jan so it would probably be inappropriate to ask them now i guess? 

Yeah it’s a bit of a pickle. If possible you may be able to ask for an extension while waiting to hear back from Stanford. Or send your confirmation for UCSD and hope that they wait a week or two before buying the airfare. 

6 hours ago, maya123z said:

So I got interview offers for UCSD neuro and BMS. Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to which one might be better? Most of my faculty of interest have joint appointments in both departments. I'm leaning toward just accepting the BMS interview because the neuro interviews conflict with BU and Stanford.

If the faculty that you are interested in takes BMS students then they are essentially the same. The only difference might be the atmosphere of the program. I am only familiar with the neuro program and the community is very tight knit. They do a lot of things together (parties, bootcamp, etc) and the department puts a lot towards making the neuro students a cohesive bunch. You also would have different required classes, there are frequently bio or bms students that will audit or elect to take neuro courses but there are not slots reserved so if they fill up them you wouldn't be able to take them. Other than that I don't really see a difference. 

2 hours ago, shouldhavedone said:
Anyone??? Also, is this school less competitive than the others or something? Why is there only like 3 ppl I've seen that applied for it?
  • For those of you that applied to the BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE program at OHSU!!! Can you PLEASE TELL ME whether you received this letter from them around Nov 26th?? I’ve not heard anything yet from OHSU, but is this a good sign that I got this?
  • Or is this a generic email?
  • Please let me know!!! IM DYING WITH ANTICIPATION!
  •  
  •  
  • Dear Myname,
  • We have received your application for the 2019/20 academic year.
  • Thank you,
  • Our Admissions Committee will soon begin deliberations to determine interviewees. We anticipate completing these deliberations by December 21, 2018 and plan on a single interview date of Friday February 22, 2019. Interviewees arrive on Thursday February 21 and depart on Sunday February 24. We now request that you hold these dates open. We will make interview offers in late December.
  • If you are unable to come for an interview, your chance of being admitted to our graduate program may be reduced. Thanks again and please call or email if you have any questions.

Edited by shouldhavedone

15 hours ago, _kb said:

Yeah based on previous years it looks like most schools extend invites all the way through the middle of january, I think it's because there are obviously going to be conflicting interviews for some people so they can't attend. so if you didn't hear back, don't lose hope! you may be on a waitlist you don't know about, im in the same boat :) 

16 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

Most are sent out by the end of January. Some can sprinkle in as late as March.

16 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

Most are sent out by the end of January. Some can sprinkle in as late as March.

Thank you, all of you! I did get an interview at one school but still the wait is sooo difficult haha...

5 hours ago, opoloqo said:

Hi, do you know if there are any more spots for international student? 

Hi, I hate to say this but I think they've finished sending out invitations... So as for PiN...

2 hours ago, maya123z said:

Yeah it’s a bit of a pickle. If possible you may be able to ask for an extension while waiting to hear back from Stanford. Or send your confirmation for UCSD and hope that they wait a week or two before buying the airfare. 

Yea... I don't know what the best approach is, I'm thinking about accepting the first interview time slot for UCSD and skip the 27th (which is mostly for social events) and go straight from San Diego to SF if Stanford happens to invite me...

5 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

Yea... I don't know what the best approach is, I'm thinking about accepting the first interview time slot for UCSD and skip the 27th (which is mostly for social events) and go straight from San Diego to SF if Stanford happens to invite me...

That’s a good idea. Though I’d still have to miss the BU interview either way. Hmm...

7 hours ago, OMK said:

If the faculty that you are interested in takes BMS students then they are essentially the same. The only difference might be the atmosphere of the program. I am only familiar with the neuro program and the community is very tight knit. They do a lot of things together (parties, bootcamp, etc) and the department puts a lot towards making the neuro students a cohesive bunch. You also would have different required classes, there are frequently bio or bms students that will audit or elect to take neuro courses but there are not slots reserved so if they fill up them you wouldn't be able to take them. Other than that I don't really see a difference. 

Do you think it would be weird to email my POI and ask if they recommend one program over the other?

5 hours ago, nanobasiness said:

Hello!  Does anyone know if UCSD is still sending out invites for interviews?  

I’m hoping they still are! Based on the results page it looks like they sent them over 2 days. Fingers crossed 

2 hours ago, maya123z said:

Do you think it would be weird to email my POI and ask if they recommend one program over the other?

Yeah definitely not weird! When I was beginning my application I was emailing a POI and he was advising me on which programs to apply to based on my interests and gave me the pros and cons to them which was super helpful, so if you're conflicted I would ask!

3 hours ago, maya123z said:

That’s a good idea. Though I’d still have to miss the BU interview either way. Hmm...

Yea we are on the same boat.. I will have to skip the BU one if that's the case..

2 minutes ago, Scrappyhappy said:

For a change of topic while we wait...

What area of research and techniques are you guys interested in? 

I primarily am interested in simulations of Systems of neurons

Sounds really interesting! I study neurodegenerative diseases (especially Alzheimer's) and I'm particularly interested in translational research.

Edited by maya123z

11 minutes ago, Scrappyhappy said:

I primarily am interested in simulations of Systems of neurons and detecting patterns that arise

I am interested in circuit neuroscience but from a cellular and molecular perspective. specifically interested in how changes in molecular expression (in disease and/or development) alter neural communication and signaling and how these changes translate to neurological, neurodegenerative, and behavioral disorders

Going into school, I am planning on keeping an open mind :) 

Edited by _kb

1 minute ago, bkim346 said:

Does anyone know the interview dates for UCLA?

Only information I could find on their website is that they are conducted in February, no specific dates though ? 

18 minutes ago, Scrappyhappy said:

I primarily am interested in simulations of Systems of neurons and detecting patterns that arise

I'm interested in psychiatric disorders. I hope to incorporate more computational methods to redefine these disorders, and am interested in individual differences and precision medicine.