2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

4 hours ago, k8e said:

big long post ahead, only read it if you're interested in any program at OHSU hahaha

Hey ya'll, I'm that person who applied to OHSU Vollum/NGP and got an interview invite for Behavioral Neuro.

Interestingly enough, I just got the official "waitlist" notification from Vollum. So it seems like there's some amount of crosstalk between programs... where Vollum got my app and handed it off to Behav Neuro because my interests are somewhat behavioral? Not sure what happened, but I'm grateful to interview at OHSU either way! 

Also, the email said the following: 
"We have made some invitations for interviews and will be making other interview invitations in early to mid January depending on the availability of interview slots. At this time, your application is on our "wait list," but we will update you on your status in January."

So it seems Vollum/NGP may be done sending invites, unless they just said that to ease my pain. 

HELLO WAS YOUR MAJOR IN NEUROSCIENCE IN YOUR BACHELOR'S?

On 12/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, Birdman3000 said:

Hey guys, good luck to all of us!

I did UCSF, OHSU, and UW for Neuro, UCBerk (MCB), UChicago (Biosciences), NYU (Sackler), and UW (MCB).

I got an email from Berkeley the other day that emails for interviews will be coming out first week of January. But nothing other than that 

HI DID YOU HEAR FROM OHSU YET?

On 12/10/2018 at 9:22 PM, sjaldrich32 said:

Seems like everybody is applying to like 8 programs but I could only swing the funds for 4... UW (neuro), OHSU (behavioral neuro), UCLA (neuro), and UCSD (neuro). Kind of freaks me out a little, to be honest!! Not knowing anything is killing me. 

HI DID YOU HEAR ANYTHING FROM OHSU AND IF SO WHEN THANKS

On 12/13/2018 at 12:53 PM, neurooooo said:

Applied to Vanderbilt, Pitt, UT Austin, Rutgers, Georgetown, Brandeis, Tufts, Boston University, OHSU, Colorado - Denver, UNC BBSP, and Univ of Michigan 

Really hoping UNC sends out another round of interview invites because they were my first choice!

2019 PhD Applications: Vanderbilt, Pitt, UT Austin, Rutgers, Georgetown, Brandeis, Tufts, Boston University, OHSU, Colorado - Denver, UNC BBSP, and Univ of Michigan 

Interview (0/12)
Rejected (0/12):     
Accepted (0/12):      
Waitlisted (0/12):

HEY DID U HEAR FROM OHSU NEUROSCIENCE YET? THANKS

ARE U A NEUROSCIENCE MAJOR

On 12/14/2018 at 8:49 PM, liz13 said:

Happy to hear I'm not the only one worried on a Friday night! Heard back from UW-Madison today--rejected (probably because I only had a semester of physics and they require a full year... for some reason my brain didn't register that before). 

Best of luck to everyone!! If you're so inclined, I highly recommend a glass of wine and funny podcast to accompany email refreshing ?

HELLO DID U HEAR ANYTHING FROM THE OHSU NEUROSCIENCE PROGRAM AND IF SO WHEN? THANKS AND WHAT TIME?

4 minutes ago, FirstYear said:

Did you email them to ask about your admissions status??

No, but after extensively talking with the PI pre-submission and spending an unhealthy amount of time analyzing the gradcafe results page it seems pretty clear that they really only send 2 rounds of interview invites, and both have been sent. one of their interview dates was very early in January (which means its logistically too late for them to invite you to that one) and they give interviewees the option to choose between weekends (which means it is unlikely that they're the kind of program that would send more invites out once people decline interviews, because they did give their interviewees options to avoid that problem and one of their dates isn't a popular one. 1/10). With a system like that, all the signs point to the fact that they're done sending them out. They're an extremely popular program, theres like a bajillion faculty affiliated with their neuro group. 

I am in disaster mode at this point. 3 out of 6 of my programs have stopped sending out interviews and I haven't heard anything! 

I had a ridiculous amount of research experience and an average GPA. The only thing that could impact my admissions is my GRE scores and those aren't even terrible. What am I supposed to improve on for the next round of admissions if I get fully rejected? I have 2.5 years of full-time research experience, a post-bac won't improve anything!

10 minutes ago, tellyoueverything said:

HI DID YOU HEAR FROM OHSU YET?

i hate that im about to entertain your trolling rn, but I'm out of reacts for today so i cant dislike your posts. I didn't apply to OHSU, but seriously for the sake of those who did stop being so annoying or fuck off. Theres DMs for a reason

6 minutes ago, FirstYear said:

I am in disaster mode at this point. 3 out of 6 of my programs have stopped sending out interviews and I haven't heard anything! 

I had a ridiculous amount of research experience and an average GPA. The only thing that could impact my admissions is my GRE scores and those aren't even terrible. What am I supposed to improve on for the next round of admissions if I get fully rejected? I have 2.5 years of full-time research experience, a post-bac won't improve anything!

did you talk to PIs before you applied? Dont lose hope!! you're quite literally at half empty half full status right now. 3 unofficial rejections, but EQUALLY as many programs that you still have to hear back from! Many programs dont even send invites until January. Don't let this thread throw you into a panic. Remember that this is only a small representation of the applicant pool, and mostly consists of the most neurotic amongst us. You never know what can happen. I know it sounds stupid and everyone says this and it means very little when you feel your dreams might be crushed but most things happen for a reason. If you don't get in anywhere, its probably for a reason. talk to a PI in your field you trust to try and figure out what that is. A PhD isn't like other degrees, if theres something your missing but the drive is there, you can usually fix that something. you just need to figure out what it is.

Edited by earsnbrains

3 minutes ago, FirstYear said:

Your statement of purpose and letters of recommendations are the most important part of your application.  If you want to look at where you can improve I would start there.  A lot of schools don't send out invites until January, so there's still a good chance you'll get an interview!

1 minute ago, earsnbrains said:

did you talk to PIs before you applied? Dont lose hope!! you're quite literally at half empty half full status right now. 3 unofficially rejections, but EQUALLY as many programs that you still have to hear back from! Many programs dont even send invites until January. Don't let this thread throw you into a panic. Remember that this is only a small representation of the applicant pool, and mostly consists of the most neurotic amongst us. You never know what can happen. I know it sounds stupid and everyone says this and it means very little when you feel your dreams might be crushed but a lot of things happen for a reason. If you don't get in anywhere, its probably for a reason. talk to a PI in your field you trust to try and figure out what that is. A PhD isn't like other degrees, if theres something your missing but the drive is there, you can usually fix that something. you just need to figure out what it is.

I emailed a few PI's before applying. This website really does kill you, one of the grad students at my school talked about it and as soon as I got on here I felt the panic!

22 minutes ago, FirstYear said:

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you - 3/6 schools done sending invites, good amount of research experience. This is what has kept me sane (ish). 

* if there is a chance that I have an interview, I better have my paper submitted by then so that I can show it *

basically, set a goal that you need to focus on, so that you can't wallow.  What you do now with your time will probably have an effect on your apps still.  easier said than done (lol I'm on gradcafe right now) but it's all about steps forward! 

Does anyone know any Neuro post-bacc programs? For us who probably have to apply next year?

I'm currently at one at the University of Pittsburgh (prob the reason why I got an invite). It's a great program! One year, no tuition, an amazing stipend, and you can pick your PI and classes! Planning on doing another one considering I'm not hearing back from schools. I hear there's one at Brown and OHSU.

1 hour ago, FirstYear said:

I’m in the same boat :( I applied to 8 schools and it seems UCSD, UCSF, Brown and UCLA are done.  I’m not sure what a proper next step would be. Does anyone have any opinions on that?  Would a post bacc be a good way to get into grad school or finding a lab to work in?  What are other options?  This is so disheartening :( 

20 minutes ago, charmingdiary said:

Does anyone know any Neuro post-bacc programs? For us who probably have to apply next year?

I'm currently at one at the University of Pittsburgh (prob the reason why I got an invite). It's a great program! One year, no tuition, an amazing stipend, and you can pick your PI and classes! Planning on doing another one considering I'm not hearing back from schools. I hear there's one at Brown and OHSU.

What is the Pitt postbac called? Sounds like an awesome program, but I can't seem to find it just googling

44 minutes ago, skippinglives said:

What is the Pitt postbac called? Sounds like an awesome program, but I can't seem to find it just googling

Should be under "Hot Metal Bridge Progam"! It's a new program. I'm the only post bacc in the neuro department.

58 minutes ago, nanobasiness said:

I’m in the same boat :( I applied to 8 schools and it seems UCSD, UCSF, Brown and UCLA are done.  I’m not sure what a proper next step would be. Does anyone have any opinions on that?  Would a post bacc be a good way to get into grad school or finding a lab to work in?  What are other options?  This is so disheartening :( 

Another postbac is NIH PREP. multiple locations like Brown, Chapel Hill, Baylor. A postbac can show that your not idle for a year even if you dont "need" the experience. It's also a way to build a bridge with some schools bc you're in their backyard.

There are still some applications open to some good schools. However, if you're dead set on these, next cycle try and apply to more safety schools to offset the very selective ones.

Edited by blackprodigy

1 hour ago, nanobasiness said:

I called UCLA today and they said they are not done sending invites. So there is some hope!

SCROLL PAST IF you're looking for new info and don't want semi-tangential advice and encouragement.

@nanobasiness @FirstYear Hey you guys, tagging you since you asked about what to potentially do to improve your app next time (which hopefully won't even be necessary!!!). I'm applying for my second try this year and thought (as someone who didn't get a single interview the first time and now has 2 so far) I'd share some encouragement / advice. With that said keep in mind I'm a social neuroscientist and things may work differently for programs that are "wet" neuro / would never even remotely be grouped under psychology.

-First I, as a huge hypocrite, tell you to spend less time worrying. Commit yourself to only checking your e-mail once a day over the holidays. They aren't gonna revoke your interview if you don't get back to them within 3 hours or something so stop stressing yourself out (I say, as I prepare to check my email again before bed). Just forget about it as best you can. You either will get rejected or accepted and can do nothing to change that at this point. The arrow is already in flight and no amount of worrying, checking this site, or agonizing over it will change its flight path.

-Be optimistic! Remember, nothing is definitely not no, especially at this point. Nothing only starts to look a lot like no in mid February, or around then. Nothing right now means the PIs may just be on Christmas break and they don't care nearly as much about reviewing our apps as we do lol.

-If you're a senior in undergrad, don't get disheartened at all. It is almost unheard of these days (again, at least in my subfield) for someone to get in directly from undergrad. I've heard PIs say they outright don't take people who are applying out of undergrad, and others say they'll consider current undergrads but it's a strike against you. So you should strongly consider taking a post bacc position (either a class based program, or as a lab manager / full time research associate).

-I've heard mixed reviews about what to do if you still don't get in after a post bacc. Some say a terminal master's in a related field is good because it shows you actually are definitely interested in the field. I've also heard from an R1 PI that a master's is a waste of money if you eventually want a PhD, because you want to spend more time doing research to improve your skill set and CV, and the coursework in a master's may interfere with that in terms of time commitment / not be relevant enough. I don't know; that last tidbit seems extreme to me, but still, some PhD programs don't even accept "transfer" master's credits anyway.

-Make sure your letters are good. If you have any hesitation or bad gut feeling get another letter writer. Always ask in a way that gives them an easy out if they won't be thrilled to do it ("if you feel like you could write me a strong letter, ..."). I had a weird feeling about one of mine for my first cycle but went with it since he told me to my face he would write me a good one. Turns out the letter was borderline negative (heard that through the grapevine a year later).

-Reach out to the PIs beforehand!!! This is critical. It helps save you time and money if they're not even taking students. It helps you determine if they're even still doing the research you like (academic websites are notoriously bad at being updated). AND they remember it. I know a PI very well who seems to believe that if you didn't email him before you applied, then you probably just wrote down his name as a "eh, I need three PIs listed, might as well pick this one" situation and views those applicants as much less competitive than those that emailed in advance.

-Have good numbers. PIs care more about research fit than your academic stats, but the department might give them grief about even inviting you to interview if your stats would reflect poorly on the program. It's super dumb and unfair but it's true.

-This year's outcome does not have to have anything to do with your next try. I applied to some of the same PIs and one of the interviews I have now is with a PI who dismissed me the first time. Difference? Two years as a lab manager. That's it. That two years made me a much better scientist too, and ultimately I'm glad it happened since I'm more prepared to milk my PhD years for all they're worth. I definitely felt like my post bacc was a miserable purgatory at first but truthfully it has been a great thing.

4 hours ago, FirstYear said:

I totally wasn't expecting decisions to come out so quickly ? 

This blows, why don't they post application statuses online!

You still have plenty of time to hear from other schools! I work in the BU neuro dept and I know they won’t be sending out invites til mid-late January, don’t lose hope :)