2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

3 hours ago, Scrappyhappy said:

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you - 3/6 schools done sending invites, good amount of research experience. This is what has kept me sane (ish). 

* if there is a chance that I have an interview, I better have my paper submitted by then so that I can show it *

basically, set a goal that you need to focus on, so that you can't wallow.  What you do now with your time will probably have an effect on your apps still.  easier said than done (lol I'm on gradcafe right now) but it's all about steps forward! 

Who?

9 hours ago, Compneuronerd said:

I called UCLA today and they said that they are not done with sending invites for interviews and the admissions committee is still reviewing applications.

But UC Davis is done sending them

wait really?? davis is completely done?

9 hours ago, FirstYear said:

I am in disaster mode at this point. 3 out of 6 of my programs have stopped sending out interviews and I haven't heard anything! 

I had a ridiculous amount of research experience and an average GPA. The only thing that could impact my admissions is my GRE scores and those aren't even terrible. What am I supposed to improve on for the next round of admissions if I get fully rejected? I have 2.5 years of full-time research experience, a post-bac won't improve anything!

It's too early to be in disaster mode. Get off gradcafe. Stop looking at the results page. It's unhealthy during this stage of applications.

IF (and I must emphasize IF) you don't get in anywhere this cycle, start with your SOP. Have others read it, think about it from the perspective of an adcomm. Did you convey why you want to go to grad school or just regurgitate your CV? Did you mention specific things you like about that school, or just name the school? Did you inadvertently put in any red flags?

Then consider who wrote your LORs. Maybe there was one you weren't sure about?

And reconsider the schools. Did you only apply to top tier schools that your average GPA may hold you back from?

Again, it's too early for this. Relax. Breathe. It'll be okay. 

8 hours ago, nanobasiness said:

I’m in the same boat :( I applied to 8 schools and it seems UCSD, UCSF, Brown and UCLA are done.  I’m not sure what a proper next step would be. Does anyone have any opinions on that?  Would a post bacc be a good way to get into grad school or finding a lab to work in?  What are other options?  This is so disheartening :( 

UCLA does 2 rounds of invites. I believe the 2nd is early January.

I can confirm that Brown is done, but will also say that in the past they have reached out to a few people well after interviews (~March) if they still had interest. Not something to count on though.

UCSF and UCSD I believe only do 1 round.

10 hours ago, FirstYear said:

Do you know anything about UPenn's status?

They've sent at least 2 rounds of invites already, but I'm not sure if they'll be sending more. Their interview dates are Jan 10-12 or Feb 7-10, so I'm guessing they'll have everything sent out by early Jan at the latest.

10 hours ago, FirstYear said:

I am in disaster mode at this point. 3 out of 6 of my programs have stopped sending out interviews and I haven't heard anything! 

I had a ridiculous amount of research experience and an average GPA. The only thing that could impact my admissions is my GRE scores and those aren't even terrible. What am I supposed to improve on for the next round of admissions if I get fully rejected? I have 2.5 years of full-time research experience, a post-bac won't improve anything!

A post-bac can always improve things, especially if you're able to publish. Where did you apply? Do you have any pubs?

Just throwing this out there for anyone who's looking for a backup plan. I'm currently a postbac at the NIH (specifically the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences) and I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about it. It's a great way to get a nice pub or two, plus you can take classes (including GRE prep) for free since many labs will pay for you. I absolutely love the program and would highly recommend to anyone.

34 minutes ago, maya123z said:

A post-bac can always improve things, especially if you're able to publish. Where did you apply? Do you have any pubs?

I applied to Boston, Georgetown, Brown, Princeton, CU Anschutz, and UPenn. I have 6 posters (2 first author and one won an award from NIH) and a textbook that I'm acknowledged in for my editorial work.

Soo I got nervous and emailed Princeton about the status of my application and they responded saying that my application is "under review and decisions will be sent out via email between February and March 15."

If they stopped sending out interviews, does that mean I am on the waitlist?

18 minutes ago, FirstYear said:

I applied to Boston, Georgetown, Brown, Princeton, CU Anschutz, and UPenn. I have 6 posters (2 first author and one won an award from NIH) and a textbook that I'm acknowledged in for my editorial work.

If you don't get in this year (which is a big if! You've still got time to hear back) I think getting a publication or two in a peer-reviewed journal under your belt would be helpful. They're not necessary for admission but definitely can help.

19 minutes ago, FirstYear said:

Soo I got nervous and emailed Princeton about the status of my application and they responded saying that my application is "under review and decisions will be sent out via email between February and March 15."

If they stopped sending out interviews, does that mean I am on the waitlist?

Unsure, someone posted in the results section that they emailed and were told all interview invites had been sent out? 

27 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Anyone heard back from Scripps? I see a few people in the results section but they don't mention which campus.

No I haven’t heard yet! In the results sections does it say which program?

3 minutes ago, _kb said:

No I haven’t heard yet! In the results sections does it say which program?

Scripps just has one big PhD program in Chemical and Biological Sciences. There aren't separate departments.

1 hour ago, maya123z said:

Just throwing this out there for anyone who's looking for a backup plan. I'm currently a postbac at the NIH (specifically the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences) and I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about it. It's a great way to get a nice pub or two, plus you can take classes (including GRE prep) for free since many labs will pay for you. I absolutely love the program and would highly recommend to anyone.

I second this! I'm also a postbac at NIH and highly recommend this postbac program!

10 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Scripps just has one big PhD program in Chemical and Biological Sciences. There aren't separate departments.

Oh lol I didn’t know that, one of them says the LJ campus so maybe that’s the one for all 3 but hopefully they’re going to send out more 

1 hour ago, glialstar said:

Unsure, someone posted in the results section that they emailed and were told all interview invites had been sent out? 

I saw that too! Maybe all interviews have been sent out but they're keeping some applications open still.

Also, the program at Brown said that they are still reviewing and will update online application statuses once they are done

12 hours ago, nanobasiness said:

I’m in the same boat :( I applied to 8 schools and it seems UCSD, UCSF, Brown and UCLA are done.  I’m not sure what a proper next step would be. Does anyone have any opinions on that?  Would a post bacc be a good way to get into grad school or finding a lab to work in?  What are other options?  This is so disheartening :( 

Hey, I wouldn't lose hope just yet. 

But a great next step would be continuing to get research experience. There are many postbac programs, such as the NIH prep through schools or NIH postbac IRTA at NIH, that will give you more experience and can help you next application cycle. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about the NIH postbac program. I'm currently at NIH and really enjoy my experience here.

Just got the invitation from Tufts, which again makes things difficult. Apparently they only have one interview day which is 3/1 and that's it... I don't know whether or not to accept it now since it again overlaps with Stanford ???? So far BU, Tufts, UCSD and Stanford all sort of overlap with each other.. 

5 minutes ago, zzzz233 said:

Just got the invitation from Tufts, which again makes things difficult. Apparently they only have one interview day which is 3/1 and that's it... I don't know whether or not to accept it now since it again overlaps with Stanford ???? So far BU, Tufts, UCSD and Stanford all sort of overlap with each other.. 

My strategy so far is to wait to accept until the last possible day (ask for an extension if possible) and then try to delay booking the flight as late as possible.

2 minutes ago, maya123z said:

My strategy so far is to wait to accept until the last possible day (ask for an extension if possible) and then try to delay booking the flight as late as possible.

lol sounds good.. Have you decided which program of UCSD to accept?

6 minutes ago, zzzz233 said:

lol sounds good.. Have you decided which program of UCSD to accept?

I think I'm probably going to accept BMS and decline neuro. BMS has no scheduling conflicts and also fits a bit better with my interests. Still going to wait until the deadline though, just in case. Ideally would like to get another interview (maybe MIT?) before I decline anything.

Edited by maya123z