2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

32 minutes ago, glialstar said:

I see Weill Cornell BCMB sent out decisions today, has anyone heard anything about Neuro decisions? 

I spoke to the admissions director and he says they pride themselves on getting their invites out by xmas.

Looks like if you dont get it today chances are slim to none.

Just now, blackprodigy said:

I spoke to the admissions director and he says they pride themselves on getting their invites out by xmas.

Hey! Thanks for the information. When did you ask? And was it for the neuroscience program?

42 minutes ago, blackprodigy said:

Theyre either sending this afternoon or perhaps got behind...there arent any decisions in the results section yet ?

alternately, they took only a few people ?

7 minutes ago, glialstar said:

Theyre either sending this afternoon or perhaps got behind...there arent any decisions in the results section yet ?

alternately, they took only a few people ?

Let's hope this year is different lol and they get it all out by new year's rather than xmas since today is the last working day before xmas 

Thank you for submitting your application to the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT. We are currently processing application materials and appreciate your patience. Due to the large amount of admissions materials, it may take up to four weeks to complete our initial sort.

Applications will remain under review through the months of December and January. Once all materials have been sorted, we will begin sending official interview invitations to selected candidates. Interview will take place on March 7 and 8, 2019 and will be by invitation only. Post-interview decisions will be sent in mid-March and final decisions will be sent in late March.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation during this time.

Graduate Admissions Committee

Does this email seem to indicate being put on a waitlist then? Apparently some people have already gotten interview notification invites & rejections...

2 hours ago, Compneuronerd said:

I applied only to Columbia and not heard from them. I called the office the other day and it seemed like they are going to send it the invites in January. But I am not sure about that given the interviews are in January 

Okay. So I called Columbia again. They said the committee is still deciding and you should hear from them in yearly January about the interviews. I am going to stop checking grad cafe till then and enjoy the break.

5 minutes ago, neuronerd95 said:

Thank you for submitting your application to the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT. We are currently processing application materials and appreciate your patience. Due to the large amount of admissions materials, it may take up to four weeks to complete our initial sort.

Applications will remain under review through the months of December and January. Once all materials have been sorted, we will begin sending official interview invitations to selected candidates. Interview will take place on March 7 and 8, 2019 and will be by invitation only. Post-interview decisions will be sent in mid-March and final decisions will be sent in late March.

Does this email seem to indicate being put on a waitlist then? Apparently some people have already gotten interview notification invites & rejections...

I think those people just got informal invites from faculty, it doesn't seem like the official invites have been sent yet.

I got an email from 2 POIs informing me of my invitation but I have yet to receive an official email with the details.. so im assuming they just haven't sent them out yet and will after break 

Okay thanks everyone! Congrats on your interviews!

Ugh I cannot wait until this whole process is done

2 minutes ago, _kb said:

I got an email from 2 POIs informing me of my invitation but I have yet to receive an official email with the details.. so im assuming they just haven't sent them out yet and will after break 

25 minutes ago, blackprodigy said:

I just called. They said they're going out today. Butttt....a lady I spoke to said the latest is early Feb (maybe waitlisters?)

So we'll---look who's talking----just have to be patient

Wait so theyre sending out some today, and continuing through feb??

also thank you!

Edited by glialstar

Okay thanks everyone! Congrats on your interviews!

Ugh I cannot wait until this whole process is done

Same, I wonder how likely those of us who haven't heard from a POI are to be interviewed.

8 minutes ago, _kb said:

Did you contact your POIs beforehand? Or just mentioned them in your application?

32 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Did you contact your POIs beforehand? Or just mentioned them in your application?

I didn't reach out to them, just mentioned them in my application!

but my current PI wrote one of my LOR and he got his PhD there I don't know how much weight that pulled but they probably recognized him

Edited by _kb

3 hours ago, neuronerd95 said:

Also I know that Stanford sent out an email saying that they would begin contacting applicants during the week of January 7th, but does that just mean the official invite?

I just ask, because I see that people are posting interviews for other departments of stanford biomedical. Ah I don't even know why i'm asking - just super nervous haha

Hey, I received a Stanford invite for Dev Bio yesterday, but the home programs all run on their own schedule. I don't even think Dev Bio is done sending invites honestly. Don't get freaked out because a few people heard - looking at the results page it seems like a small number trickle in around this time but then the vast majority of biosciences invites go out around Jan 10.

3 minutes ago, aspiringscientist said:

Hey, I received a Stanford invite for Dev Bio yesterday, but the home programs all run on their own schedule. I don't even think Dev Bio is done sending invites honestly. Don't get freaked out because a few people heard - looking at the results page it seems like a small number trickle in around this time but then the vast majority of biosciences invites go out around Jan 10.

Wow!! You got invitations from all the programs you applied to!!! Congratulations!!!! I really wish neuroscience programs can send out their invitations as prompt as the biology programs (with tears...

1 minute ago, zzzz233 said:

Wow!! You got invitations from all the programs you applied to!!! Congratulations!!!! I really wish neuroscience programs can send out their invitations as prompt as the biology programs (with tears...

Thank you!!! and in defence of the neuro programs, I think there are a lot more people interested in neuro than my specific specialization choice of developmental bio, so they probably just have a lot more applications to comb through, you'll all hear back in the next month I'm sure!!!