2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

6 minutes ago, Raindrop said:

I didn't apply to any schools that required the GRE which I think hurt my chances, need something to set myself apart I think. And yeah, I totally get what you are saying about applying to safety schools, but I also want to go to a school that's a good fit for me at the end of the day. If it's a safety school, I've already deemed it to not be what I want in my mind, so I think its just not the right choice. To be fair, I actually got into medical school this year but wanted to give neuroscience PhD a shot as I love research and have worked in research for the last 5 years. So, it's not like I'm stuck or anything. Just wish this would've worked out so I could really explore research as a lifelong career.

You can always do research as a clinician and work in academic medicine.

7 minutes ago, blackprodigy said:

This thread and others like it is a great tool for people at the same stage to help each other and ease the stress of applying and matriculating. I hate to think that the sharing of good news for some brings so much sadness to others. Keep your head up. It's not over until it's over.

Honestly, learning about other's success really doesn't make me sad. It's given me closure if anything :) Keep sharing your successes!

44 minutes ago, _kb said:

Hi I see that you got "rejected" from UCLA? I was under the impression they were sending out another round of invites ? did you get an official letter or just no interview?

Oh it's reject or no interview. I didn't get an official letter from them. Not sure when they will be sending out the next round..

17 minutes ago, zzzz233 said:

Oh it's reject or no interview. I didn't get an official letter from them. Not sure when they will be sending out the next round..

Got it thanks for clarifying! :)

3 hours ago, blackprodigy said:

I know you're not giving a presentation. But there some that do want impromptu presentations...I've seen a few. It makes for ease when discussing some works. And yes they may know your background, but it still doesn't hurt. Rather have and not need than need and not have.

I didnt mean to come off as you need to be a robot and have everything all figured out, but it is important to seem like you have an idea of what's going on in the industry and what attracted you to that professor. 

Being as prepared as I can be makes me more confident and I can leave knowing that I did all that I could do to rock my interviews. People take notice to details. It sets you apart.  At the end of the day, do what makes you comfortable. If you can trust the process and be more of a "wing it" or "go with the flow kinda person", do you.

I get that. I wasn't saying don't do any of it, you just don't have to. A lot of people get psyched out thinking there's all this preparing you have to do for interviews when you really don't have to prepare anything. Of course do whatever makes you feel comfortable, just know you won't be left behind if you haven't done all this prep. Just know your own research and your interests and you should be fine. 

Got an email for a Skype interview this morning from Mayo Clinic!! I know someone said that they were done sending out invites earlier, but just wanted to let y'all know that there is still hope! Also, they are only doing a few in-person interviews in MN and apparently none in FL. Skype interview set for the week of Jan 28- Feb 1. 

Very excited to have some hope after getting rejected from Duke on 12/28. 

Still have not heard anything from WashU, UT Austin, Vanderbilt, or UAB. 

2 hours ago, FirstYear said:

I would very much like to go into industry as well, even after my PhD. I guess part of my hesitation is that I now have to tell my mentors that I did not get into my schools. I've had a lot of failures in life, but they're not usually associated with my work. I assume this is a hump that a lot of us have to get over at this point in time, but boy was I not ready for it lol. It helps to know I'm not the only one!

My mentors have been wonderful to me and I'm sure your would be too. After going through a rough patch after not getting any interviews last round, one mentor contacted the admissions office on my behalf and gave me some really important notes and tips for this round. My current PI gave me a hug and reminded me that she had worked as a seamstress for ten years between her master's degree and PhD. An undergrad mentor told me that she also took three rounds to get into a PhD program (she's currently TT-faculty) and that she knew I was a good scientist and would make it there. 

Your mentors are your mentors because they believe in you, and they know that people who go straight from one place to another, no bends in the road, are extremely rare. Don't call it a hump or a setback--it's just part of your research career narrative and after retelling it a few times it will make sense.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Goshipping said:

That was really encouraging! I really appreciated your experience. And if you don't mind, could you please share with us how you got your first job in a research lab after graduation? 

I worked as a undergrad tech in two labs which gave me a bunch of mouse experience, so I got hired on as a colony manager. I applied to maybe 20-30 jobs and got 2-3 interviews and took this one because of the location and research. It's a tiny lab so it didn't take much time until I was able to lead projects and plan experiments.

My advice is to talk up your experience without lying, and apply to any job even if you don't feel you meet the requirements. You can be trained, especially if you're dedicated and you have even a little related experience. 

1 minute ago, Vikkly said:

Hi everyone, did someone hear from BU, UNC, Baylor, USC and UTSW? I submitted my applications just days before deadline but don't get any updates from them until now. Thanks!!

UNC BBSP has sent all interviews, they have a waitlist and people might be coming off it until mid-January. I think someone asked the admissions department.

BU, if you mean Boston University Graduate Program in Neuroscience, won't be out til end of January.

9 minutes ago, Vikkly said:

Hi everyone, did someone hear from BU, UNC, Baylor, USC and UTSW? I submitted my applications just days before deadline but don't get any updates from them until now. Thanks!!

Yes to UTSW. Their weekends for neuro are 1/10 and 1/31. I heard from them via email on 12/20

15 minutes ago, Vikkly said:

As far as UNC, I'm not sure of their other dates. I was told my date...which is the weekend of 1/31. Offer was extended via email 12/14

14 minutes ago, fearfulocelot said:

UNC BBSP has sent all interviews, they have a waitlist and people might be coming off it until mid-January. I think someone asked the admissions department.

BU, if you mean Boston University Graduate Program in Neuroscience, won't be out til end of January.

My friend heard from BU before xmas.

2 minutes ago, blackprodigy said:

My friend heard from BU before xmas.

I'm guessing your friend either got an unofficial invite from a POI or applied to the behavioral neuro program (not GPN).

13 minutes ago, fearfulocelot said:

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, maya123z said:

I'm guessing your friend either got an unofficial invite from a POI or applied to the behavioral neuro program (not GPN).

I apologize. Though she's interested in neuro she actually applied to the pharmacology program. Didn't mean to worry anyone

4 minutes ago, k8e said:

Anyone know if Berkeley is done sending invites? 

i received mine 12/14 and the deadline to commit was on the 1st, so I would assume they are done but it wouldn't hurt to call/email!

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. Did anyone who got an interview invite at Weill Cornell (who accepted) get any kind of confirmation that their electronic response card (via survey monkey) had been received? I submitted mine yesterday, and it seemed to go through fine, but I haven’t received any confirmation via email and am worried since today is the last day to accept. I replied to the invitation email today to confirm but haven’t heard back...

Edited by humancoffeebean

19 minutes ago, humancoffeebean said:

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. Did anyone who got an interview invite at Weill Cornell (who accepted) get any kind of confirmation that their electronic response card (via survey monkey) had been received? I submitted mine yesterday, and it seemed to go through fine, but I haven’t received any confirmation via email and am worried since today is the last day to accept. I replied to the invitation email today to confirm but haven’t heard back...

I had the exact same question, but posted in the general Biology thread. Someone else wondered about this as well, and emailed Weill Cornell this morning. I am not sure if that person applied to Neuroscience, but in any case, they contacted Weill Cornell and it looks as if all is well.  >> See this post: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/109845-2019-applicant-profiles-and-admissions-results/?do=findComment&comment=1058637062

Edited by MJB100

^^^ Also, about not receiving a confirmation from SurveyMonkey on the Weill Cornell Neuroscience response card: When I go back to the invitation email and click on the link for the response card, I end up at a SurveyMonkey page that says I have already taken the survey. I am hoping that is a good sign that Weill Cornell actually received my response. (Although that doesn't stop me from worrying that I accidentally clicked on the wrong response in the survey! Should have taken a screenshot of each page. Oh well!)