2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

Has anyone heard from UT southwestern medical center, their application page is currently out of service! I am so nervous, on idea if it is a routine Maintainance or a preparation for status update. 

43 minutes ago, Ryan_Goshipping said:

Has anyone heard from UT southwestern medical center, their application page is currently out of service! I am so nervous, on idea if it is a routine Maintainance or a preparation for status update. 

Yes. Interview there this weekend

43 minutes ago, Ryan_Goshipping said:

Heard from them the Thursday before xmas via email. They only displayed 2 weekends when I took the survey...the 11th and 31st for neuro and about 30 kids each

On 1/8/2019 at 11:26 AM, nexttosomewhatnormal said:

Also, what are the benefits of doing a post-bac program like these versus getting a job in a lab (hopefully doing neuro research)? Does one look better to admissions committees than the other? 

As someone who got a job in a lab instead of a post-bac program, I feel like the experience (and how it translates/looks on apps) highly depends on the lab. In my lab, we don't have any grad students and its pretty much just me, the PI, and another investigator whos on our grant; so I pretty much do everything a grad student would do, plus some lab managery/lab tech stuff. I have my own projects that I've presented at conferences. I even get classes at harvard extension school (harvard classes but at night and basically anyone can take them) free or extremely discounted, much like in a post-bac program. My PI knows I'm applying to grad school and makes sure to tell me about talks and events that I should go to. I'm writing 2 publications right now. I have other friends who are employees in labs as well who have been incredibly involved in projects at the same level as me, and others that are truly more of an assistant. The main tiny qualm I have sometimes is that because my PI is technically my boss, you have to consider that they have final say on anything. I had a problem with the paradigm we were using once and when I expressed that, he listened and in the end decided to go with what he preferred despite concerns I expressed, and I had to execute that. Not a super common occurrence, but there is that sense of being an employee sometimes that I don't love. But then again, I have the advantage of saying "I can't stay late tonight" when I want to (with exceptions of course).   

Obviously, doing a program like PREP or NIH post-bac looks really good because you have to be admitted and PIs have a clear idea of how involved you were rather than having to be told by you. Definitely worth applying to. But also look at jobs. They usually pay better, and in the right lab, you can get basically the same experience; and as long as you can explain that to PIs and have things like LORs and poster presentations to back up, its basically as impressive as doing a program. But finding that kind of lab might be a little harder than just applying to a program, so you really need to try both.

And if it counts for anything, most PIs have referred to being an RA/tech/coordinator for a couple years between as post-bac research. Thats what I've been told to call what I'm doing by people in my field. Obviously not the same as a program, but I think that speaks to how similarly regarded they are by professors. 

Edited by earsnbrains

On 12/13/2018 at 11:56 AM, bkim346 said:

And minutes after I posted my list,  I got an interview invite through an email for the Neuroscience PhD program at Baylor College of Medicine!

Do you mind tell me when Baylor College of Medicine holds their interviews? Thanks

Vanderbilt reached out to me today to see if I'd received their invite - which had been sent on Dec 31. Turns out gmail had eaten the mail without sending it to my spam or inbox first! I highly recommend double checking spam/junk/trash folders and/or reaching out to the university directly to make sure you haven't missed any communications.

11 hours ago, maya123z said:

Just got invited to Stanford! It was a phone call so keep your phone nearby if you’re waiting :)

Congrats maya! :)

Do you know if they’re sending more and did you get an official email? Also if you don’t mind, would you mind sharing the range of your gpa? I’be heard most programs are doing gpa cutoffs this year 

2 hours ago, neuronerd95 said:

Congrats maya! :)

Do you know if they’re sending more and did you get an official email? Also if you don’t mind, would you mind sharing the range of your gpa? I’be heard most programs are doing gpa cutoffs this year 

Thanks! They said I’d get the official email today or tomorrow (haven’t gotten it yet) so they might still be making calls. My GPA was 3.99 but I don’t know what the cutoff was. 

17 hours ago, lemmabear said:

Does anyone know if Albert Einstein has already sent out all of their interview invites?

They are still reviewing applications and more invitations will be sent in the upcoming weeks. Good luck to everyone who applied there !

On 1/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, redgzb said:

Has anyone heard from Albert Einstein College of Medicine? 

P.S. got rejection from UPenn today, RIP :(

Sorry about UPenn - did they send you an official rejection email? Also, I am still waiting to hear back from Albert Einstein. Good luck! 

On 1/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, redgzb said:

Has anyone heard from Albert Einstein College of Medicine? 

P.S. got rejection from UPenn today, RIP :(

I would love it if UPENN would get around to sending my rejection letter so I could move on from my unrealistic fantasies. Sorry though, I hope you hear good news elsewhere :)

11 minutes ago, Raindrop said:

I would love it if UPENN would get around to sending my rejection letter so I could move on from my unrealistic fantasies. Sorry though, I hope you hear good news elsewhere :)

Hahaha agreed! 

17 hours ago, lemmabear said:

Does anyone know if Albert Einstein has already sent out all of their interview invites?

12 minutes ago, Raindrop said:

I feel similarly about UPenn! As much as I want to believe that there's hope, it's definitely dwindling... Also, from the email I got a while back from Albert Einstein, they made it seem as if they'd be sending out invites gradually in batches, not all at once. I think they do their review over time, though I could be completely wrong! 

2 hours ago, OMK said:

Debating reaching out to a school I haven't heard from yet. Does anyone have some insight on whether or not this is frowned upon?

Ive heard conflicting opinions on that- my approach was to just call the program and ask if all interview invitatiins had been sent out at that point. They dont have/ask your name so no harm? 

Edited by glialstar

23 hours ago, qjqqqqpgm said:

Do you mind tell me when Baylor College of Medicine holds their interviews? Thanks 

Just got an invite from Baylor a few minutes ago! Their interview weekend is from February 6-9, 2019. This seems to be the only interview weekend.