veldter

2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

51 minutes ago, 1.21_Gigawatts said:

I have to be honest, I'm pretty frustrated with my experience so far. I have 4 years of full-time experience, over 20 publications, 4.0 in my MS, 3.0 undergrad GPA, strong letters of recommendation and lots of teaching/ presentation experience but I keep receiving rejections. So far only 1 interview and 7 rejections... I'm still waiting to hear from 5 more schools, but I'm starting to feel pretty discouraged and confused. Anybody else in the same boat?

It could be fit with programs. Did you apply to all top programs? Are there faculty with similar interests to you at those schools? Are you sure one of your letters didn't have a red flag in it? So many possibilities. 

23 hours ago, theschuster said:

Just got an email from UCI saying my application has been received and is now available to review??? What can this mean?? 😭

I think that means you can log in to your online application system for it and it might say something in it? 

5 minutes ago, BabyScientist said:

It could be fit with programs. Did you apply to all top programs? Are there faculty with similar interests to you at those schools? Are you sure one of your letters didn't have a red flag in it? So many possibilities. 

It could certainly be any of those things.. Its particularly frustrating because I know a few undergrad students with no publications or full-time experience that received interviews and 4 of the places that rejected me. 

2 hours ago, 1.21_Gigawatts said:

I have to be honest, I'm pretty frustrated with my experience so far. I have 4 years of full-time experience, over 20 publications, 4.0 in my MS, 3.0 undergrad GPA, strong letters of recommendation and lots of teaching/ presentation experience but I keep receiving rejections. So far only 1 interview and 7 rejections... I'm still waiting to hear from 5 more schools, but I'm starting to feel pretty discouraged and confused. Anybody else in the same boat?

Welcome to the club bud. How are you counting those pubs? Are they actually accepted into international peer-reviewed journals? Are they research and not reviews?

I've got 5 publications, 4 years full-time exp. 3 years of undergrad exp., 3.7 in my MS, 3.1 undergrad, strong letters, GRE V/Q/W at 98%/83%/99%, and I'm currently batting 3 for 11 (pending 2 apps still in review). I only got asked to interview for schools not in the top 100 :(. One of them is actually my top choice though it's just in a different department although you won't find it in the top-20 because it has a weird inter-institutional structure. If I don't end up getting in/liking the schools, I'm taking two years off to work with a big-name and birthing these two first-author projects I'm on. Those two things are the only things that can save you/I.

It's a fairly unfair notion (given I was working a job to pay off loans) but I've been told that, having taken time off, I should have maintained or exceeded the same upward trajectory as if I had been admitted to a top school which means high-authored pubs, posters at conferences like COSYNE, etc.

Pretty sure it's the undergrad GPA which is a shame. I had/have a medical condition that didn't get addressed until later after which my grades jumped to straight-A's.

Edited by HawaiiLee808

Hey, has anyone heard back from McGill IPN rotation program?

I just got an email to attend the open house during the Feb 4 week.